Corsair Community

bsods suggest rebuild

Mallard4468

After problems encountered following an upgrade involving new kit I have been plagued by bsods. I am therefore considering a rebuild.

New kit:-

ASUS P8Z68-VLX Motherboard

Intel® Core(™) i5-3570 CPU@3.4GHz

2 x Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10

(It could of course be software corrupted in the upgrade!!)

The rebuild would discard the Motherboard and build on the i5 chip and Corsair memory. Can anyone point me to ASUS Motherboards which would be compatible with these two components.

I’m running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Thanks HOODedAssault. You are not talking to the world's most computer literate PC user here! How do I find the bsod code? Is there an archive of codes somewhere in Windows to which I can refer? I don't like spending money, but will if I need to.

If it comes to that I will be working back from my Corsair memory and i5 chip to find a compatible Motherboard. This is not the usual approach and I was looking for advice on that.

Of course if the bsod code reveals something simple then I will be happy to save the pound notes.

Don't ask the guy what he wants for a board lol. He probably doesn't need one. Has a very capable board already.

There will be a code in middle of the screen 0x0000000 with 3 numbers or letters at the end usually (1 a or 124 for example). Post that code here and I can point you in right direction.

Mallard4468 the first thing you need to do as everyone has suggested is to check your error codes first. If there is nothing definitive there you should isolate your two memory kits and test them one set at a time with memtest86+. You will want to let them run for a minimum of three passes or until it report errors.

Using multiple kits(even the same part number) is not suggested or supported by Corsair. Often mixing memory can lead to random BSOD's. It could very well be something as simple as a voltage adjustment in your BIOS.

Let us know what you find out and we can go from there.

Thanks to all.

At the moment I have not had a bsod for 4 days, running at about 5 hours per day, and I’m beginning to harbour hopes that the system has settled down.

I should have provided a bit more background before asking for help, and for this I apologise.

I am a keen video editor using Adobe CS5 and recently upgraded my PC to enable me to edit in the AVCHD format used by my recently acquired Panasonic HC-X920 Camcorder.

The upgrade comprised:-

ASUS P8Z68-VLX Motherboard

Intel® Core™ i5-3570 CPU@3.4GHz

Corsair memory 2 x 8GB CML16GX3M2A1600C10

Bsods did not commence immediately but did after about two weeks as I gradually reloaded my applications. I did not, as I should have done, create a restore point between each load.

In my soul searching I realised that my ‘C’ System drive is at least 8 years old and came to the conclusion that it would not be a bad thing to replace it.

The only changes that I have made in my bsod hunting have been to reset the memory speed in the BIOS from 1333 to 1600 and to change the Motherboard socket location of the memory modules. My present run of success has occurred with memory in the A1 and A2 slots.

My next move will be to remove the current ‘C’ drive and do a clean install of the OS, (Windows 7 Home Premium), and all the other applications, this time creating a Restore point between each.

I did go into Start > ‘eventvwr’ but there were literally thousands of entries, way beyond my comprehension.

If the above procedures don’t solve the problem then my next move will be to resort to professional assistance, something I should, perhaps have considered in the first place.

My question regarding the identification of a new Motherboard starting from an existing combination of CPU and memory was to be prepared in case of continuing difficulties.

Will post the outcome of my saga in gratitude for the helpful comments so far received.

I did go into Start > ‘eventvwr’ but there were literally thousands of entries, way beyond my comprehension.

Thats okay. Just the last couple may be enough to identify the culprit.

Your issues could have stemmed from just about anything with a new build. Memory not seated correctly, CPU not seated correctly,bad OS install, corrupt drivers, loose or not completely plugged in PSU cables will also wreak havok on a system.

At the very least I would definitely get you an SSD instead of a traditional platter . Not only will your workload get done faster , you will have a disc that will be able to take advantage of your MB's features. An 8 year old disc is like putting a 3cyl suzuki engine in Corvette!

If your BSOD's continue, let us know. We can certainly help you nail down whats going on. There are several tests that can be run first to judge system health and troubleshooting.

Archived