Corsair Community

Dominator Platinum 2133mhz & 4820K Socket 2011 incompatability

Lippy

Hi,

I have bought the CMD8GX3M2A2133C9 ram kit 2 x 4GB but my system will only see 1 of the 2 sticks of ram.

The stick I have in the computer is clockable to 2133mhz fine.

Ive tried setting voltages at 1.65v and it still doesnt see it.

Ive sent the board and the CPU off to Scan and they have tested the board and CPU with 4 x 2GB sticks and reported everything fine...

Ive downloaded the ASUS QVL and the Mobo doesnt support many sticks on the QVL list tbh...

Ive tested myself with 1600mhz Corsair Vengence Ram (2 x version 2.51 & 2 x Version 4.51 and that saw all 4 sticks and worked ok :/

I Would like to know what it is that I would need to do to get this working properly, I have updated the Bios to the latest version

System is...

Asus Rampage iv Formula

4820K CPU(water cooled)

EVGA reference 770 (water cooled)

The above Ram (has issues)

I have 2 x 840 Evo SSD's (Tried with and without raid array and still have issues)

I cant change the multiplier on the CPU with only 1 stick of ram

Ive tried both sticks of Dominator Ram and they both work individually but not together...

I have even looked at buying the Vengence 2400mhz stuff thats on the QVL list but cant find it for sale anywhere (CMZ16GX3M2A2400C10)

Please please someone make some suggestions as its really starting to get to me that I have what I classify as a good system but it is all let down by the RAM :(

I have bought the CMD8GX3M2A2133C9 ram kit 2 x 4GB but my system will only see 1 of the 2 sticks of ram.

The stick I have in the computer is clockable to 2133mhz fine.

Ive tried setting voltages at 1.65v and it still doesnt see it.

You RMA that kit. It's pretty simple , one stick works, the other does not.

You RMA that kit. It's pretty simple , one stick works, the other does not.

Ive run memtest 5.01 on both sticks and both sticks individually passed, im happy to RMA the sticks but I would like to know if these should actually work with my setup??

If they arent compatible then I need to sell them

Many Thanks

i have managed to clock in the past but multiplier now doesnt change i thought this was to do with raid but if i used my friends ram then both sticks or all 4 of his are seen and it will reach 4.86ghz but at the moment it wont clock with multiplier but base clock is adjustable :/

i have tried xmp profile and setting manually also set volts to 1.65 and tried really slack timings it still wont see both sticks...

thanks for your help so far peanuts

Bruteoutlawz,

Please try them one at a time in the same slot and let me know the results. Be sure to use XMP.

Thanks Black Pearl, Only problem is i have got a h80i installed and it blocks the left hand ram slots so i will have to remove the rad and fans to remove them. I'll remove them tomorrow and give it a try, i'll let you know what happens.

Bruteoutlawz,

Please try them one at a time in the same slot and let me know the results. Be sure to use XMP.

I have already tried this so im guessing this doesnt apply to me also?

Il raise an RMA shortly, thank you for giving me a difinitive answer, what is the average turn around for an RMA currently as this is going to leave me computerless

Many Thanks

Ben

Ive got 16gb CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11R and cant run it at 2133 on my x79 dark. I even asked a mod on here about it before i got them and he said it would be perfect for my system, so that was a bit annoying. Looks like im stuck with them now.

They are perfect for your system. The catch is that there is NO guarantee your memory controller can OC to 2133. The memory is a great choice for getting the max OC on your memory controller but the limit is the memory controller, not the memory itself. Some CPUs can, some can't.

They are perfect for your system. The catch is that there is NO guarantee your memory controller can OC to 2133. The memory is a great choice for getting the max OC on your memory controller but the limit is the memory controller, not the memory itself. Some CPUs can, some can't.

Thats cool, wasn't trying to be bitchy yellowbeard. I hadn't even heard of IMC before so i should of researched a bit about it. It seems to be running fine at 1866mhz so i'll prob just stick with that. I do have some freezing when streaming videos, (youtube ect) could that be caused by the ram or ram settings? It freezes for maybe half a second and then continues playing. It doesn't do it when playing videos from my hard drive.

the above just sounds like youtube quality streaming tbh either that or you need flash player updates or something cant recall what youtube uses...

so about my ram does it definately need rma as 2 sticks cant be seen at all or is it incompatability with this type or ram as vengence ram rated at 2400mhz is on the qvl list for this board

Originally posted by Bruteoutlawz:

It seems to be running fine at 1866mhz so i'll prob just stick with that. I do have some freezing when streaming videos, (youtube ect) could that be caused by the ram or ram settings? It freezes for maybe half a second and then continues playing. It doesn't do it when playing videos from my hard drive.

It is possible, ALTHOUGH, as Lippy pointed out if it's just when watching video's it's most likely just a driver, Youtube, flash player, something along that lines. You can try to raise your DIMM voltage to 1.55v just to see if it does anything to help. If not simply set it back. On the very off hand chance it does, then you can leave it there as well.

IMC is the Integrated Memory Controller found in your CPU. It's main part responsible for memory speeds. Each one will overclock slightly different than the other , even given the same part numbers. Just like anything your going to have some that overclock great with little voltage increases, and then you'll have your chips that wont do squat even if you ran a direct line to a nuclear plant! :)

I really suspect you just need to set your DIMM voltage to around 1.6-1.65v to get them to run at 2133mhz. Corsair staff isn't allowed to tell you how to overclock, but I can! :).

I would start out with a fresh BIOS reset , enable the XMP profile for 2133mhz , then manually set the DIMM voltage to the above. Re-run your tests and see what happens. . Be sure to keep an eye on your temps. The extra voltage may cause a little extra heat, but nothing your H80 shouldn't be able to easily keep in check.

Posted by Lippy:

so about my ram does it definately need rma as 2 sticks cant be seen at all or is it incompatability with this type or ram as vengence ram rated at 2400mhz is on the qvl list for this board

It's compatible, however as Yellowbeard noted your going to need a CPU with a strong memory controiller to be able to achieve those speeds. Really anything above say 2133mhz is a total gamble. . You too can follow the above steps to see if you can hit the 2400 mark. You may also need to add just a bit to the IMC voltage.

About them being detected, what happens if you insert all four , one at a time in the same slot. Are all four seen individually?

Originally posted by Bruteoutlawz:

It is possible, ALTHOUGH, as Lippy pointed out if it's just when watching video's it's most likely just a driver, Youtube, flash player, something along that lines. You can try to raise your DIMM voltage to 1.55v just to see if it does anything to help. If not simply set it back. On the very off hand chance it does, then you can leave it there as well.

IMC is the Integrated Memory Controller found in your CPU. It's main part responsible for memory speeds. Each one will overclock slightly different than the other , even given the same part numbers. Just like anything your going to have some that overclock great with little voltage increases, and then you'll have your chips that wont do squat even if you ran a direct line to a nuclear plant! :)

I really suspect you just need to set your DIMM voltage to around 1.6-1.65v to get them to run at 2133mhz. Corsair staff isn't allowed to tell you how to overclock, but I can! :).

I would start out with a fresh BIOS reset , enable the XMP profile for 2133mhz , then manually set the DIMM voltage to the above. Re-run your tests and see what happens. . Be sure to keep an eye on your temps. The extra voltage may cause a little extra heat, but nothing your H80 shouldn't be able to easily keep in check.

Posted by Lippy:

It's compatible, however as Yellowbeard noted your going to need a CPU with a strong memory controiller to be able to achieve those speeds. Really anything above say 2133mhz is a total gamble. . You too can follow the above steps to see if you can hit the 2400 mark. You may also need to add just a bit to the IMC voltage.

About them being detected, what happens if you insert all four , one at a time in the same slot. Are all four seen individually?

i only have 2 dimms, i borrowed a friends 1600 mhz ram to try 4 sticks and that worked but i didnt try them individually. with my sticks im running at 2133mhz but only 1 at a time, regardless of settings or voltages i cant get my board to even see the 2nd stick of this ram.

with my sticks im running at 2133mhz but only 1 at a time, regardless of settings or voltages i cant get my board to even see the 2nd stick of this ram.

Yeah, try them one at a time. If you get the same results no matter which stick is installed in either slot, then it's not going to be the memory. At least it doesn't exactly sound like a typical memory issue. You always have the option to RMA them if you want. I would just hate to see you go through an RMA if it isn't going to fix the problem.

But lets see what happens after you try them one at a time. and we can go from there.

I have tried loads of different settings and with each of the sticks on the appropriate dimm socket that should be used when you only have 1 dimm in accordance to the asus rog user manual, so ive already tried and advised that I have tried what you are suggesting, sorry if that sounds a little blunt.

if they should work but they arent then can I in theory return them for a refund or exchange for the 2400mhz corsair ram that is listed on the qvl list for my board? I dont expect an answer from you on this question peanutz as I understand your not an employee of Corsair but appreciate your help so far

ok i get it now its not the mobo its the imc controller but doesnt that mean that if i do an xmp profile or manual speed settings that my ram should work at 1866mhz which is what my chip is capable of according to intels website?

problem in the second stick goesnt get detected at 1600 when i tried that.

any idea what the imc voltage is called on my mobo? ans roughly what voltage i should set it to?

also what is a good ram frequency, i remember seeing 300mhz to about 450 off the top of my head

ok i get it now its not the mobo its the imc controller but doesnt that mean that if i do an xmp profile or manual speed settings that my ram should work at 1866mhz which is what my chip is capable of according to intels website?

Yes, it should run at 1866mhz.

problem in the second stick goesnt get detected at 1600 when i tried that.

Then this is going to be a fault of the MB , not the memory since it makes no difference which stick is in which slot.

One thing that was never asked...Is this a new build?

also what is a good ram frequency, i remember seeing 300mhz to about 450 off the top of my head

I have no idea what your talking about. Your frequency is going to be 1600, 1866, or

2133mhz.

any idea what the imc voltage is called on my mobo? ans roughly what voltage i should set it to?

For now i wouldn't just leave it on auto. There is no point raising IMC voltage if it wont run at 1600mhz. Max would be 1.25v and you only add say .1v at a time and retest in between adjustments. If it wont run at slower than stock settings on auto settings, then no amount of IMC voltage is going to help.

Really, at this point you need to figure out if the board is bad or the memory. And the only way to do that is to try another memory kit in your system.

Thanks Peanutz, ive tried 2 and 4 sticks of vengence 1600mhz ram and all sockets worked fine, ive tried changing IMC out of curiosity and it made no difference (I did this before reading your posts above).

so its either my ram or mobo and if the mobo works with 1600 mhz vengence then its the ram???

Yes its a completely new build costing me over £2000 recently, very upsetting

• 2 weeks later...

Im selling my 2133mhz ram to a friend and buying some 1866mhz ram of the same type.

Please advise if the kit below will definitely work with my setup :

Asus Rampage IV Formula

Socket 2011 4820K

Ram : Corsair Dominator 4x4GB 1866mhz quad kit

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-%284x4gb%29-corsair-ddr3-dominator-platinum-pc3-14900-%281866%29-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-10-9-27-dhx-x

Many Thanks

Ben

Default Re: Ram issues you have been helping me with

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lippy

Thread : http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthre...=125935&page=2

Im looking at getting 4x4 1866Mhz Dominator Platinum, its not on the QVL list but the specs match my IMC etc...

This is the kit :

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-...-10-9-27-dhx-x

Many Thanks

Ben

Before getting rid of your old kit i would try running it at 1866mhz. with the same timings as 2133mhz. There is no ponit in switching memory if it's not trhe issue.

But to answer your question, yes they would be compatible. But i would just save your self the money and run your current kit at 1866mhz if your board will let you.

NO, I do not work for Corsair! But I am an official forum helper.

My current board wont let me run 2 x sticks at 1600mhz with slacker latency timings on 1.75v so im not sure what the issue there is :(

Im getting very frustrated with this whole ram issue and an happy to spend £220 on new stuff if it resolves my issue...

I cant PM you again as its barred every 20 mins which is silly

Archived