Corsair Community

P6X58D-E bios doesnt detect all the 24g CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9 corsair memories

stookza

Hello all

Almost 10 months ago i opened this thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=115523 about the same problem which i had with DFI T3eh6 motherboard that couldnt detect all the 24g of memory but only 20g, Peanutz and other people told me that the problem may be with the board itself so before im gonna replace the memories set, they suggested me to change the motherboard to another and try the memories on it

So 1 week ago i was sick of the t3eh6 [after 4.5 years of using and lots of bsod that i had with him] Then i bought the ASUS P6X58D-E [which should supports the 24cmz kit too http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore] So i installed the board 3 days ago but the problem still remains :[pouts:

And now its even worst than what i had with the t3eh6, not only that it doesnt detect all the 24g but it detects maximum 16g with all the combinations i tried on all the slots, and i adjusted: dram voltage to 1.65v and qpi/dram core voltage up to 1.45v+ and memory set to manual and not to xmp but still im so desperate with it already and really dont know what to do, i really need ur help plz, so any offers for solutions will be very much appreciated!

Thx

Hi Stookz, I remember you and that thread,

Is this still the same kit of memory from the previous board? And CPU?

And I really hate to say this but since it's a new board we are going to have to start from the beginning again.

I know that board well, do you have the latest BIOS for it. There were quite a few updates for it. So if you haven't please flash to the latest BIOS so we can start with a clean slate. Go ahead and install all six sticks and see what it detects at. Just leave all your voltages set to defaults too.

We can go from there.

Yes bro its the same kit, i didnt replace it yet but the seller from Pennsylvania agreed to do it that day but i didnt send it to him finally since i checked all the memories in metest 1 by 1 seperate and all together and they were all fine!

And i already flashed the bios yesterday morning to the latest BIOS 0803

which should "Fixed raid hdd size issue" but it didnt help either :[ http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/#support

10 hours ago i paid attention that only slots 3&4 in the board doesnt detect any memory when i insert 1 inside of them, or that the system hangs with black screen when i restart

and there is 1 memory inside of them.

i checked all the memories in metest 1 by 1 seperate and all together and they were all fine!

10 hours ago i paid attention that only slots 3&4 in the board doesnt detect any memory when i insert 1 inside of them, or that the system hangs with black screen when i restart

and there is 1 memory inside of them.

Here again, I don't believe at all that the issue is memory related. I really hate to say this but it looks like you either got a bum board or your CPU is the the offender. Which at this point is strong possibility seeing as your issues are following it. I think i told you before I went through three of my P6X58-D Premium boards before I got one that would detect all 24 gigs. So i know what your going through.

With all sticks inserted at 1333mhz and DIMM voltage of 1.65v , what does it show then?

Here again, I don't believe at all that the issue is memory related. I really hate to say this but it looks like you either got a bum board or your CPU is the the offender. Which at this point is strong possibility seeing as your issues are following it. I think i told you before I went through three of my P6X58-D Premium boards before I got one that would detect all 24 gigs. So i know what your going through.

Maybe ur right about the damn cpu and the board [refurbished], but now ill gonna buy a new cpu, and replace the board again after i bought corsair hydro h90 liquid cooler and built all with many arctic silver thermal paste on it to most likely get the same result again?

And the memory settings on 1333mhz with 1.65v didnt work too. :{

Im so frustrated and desperate from this problem already, i just dont know what to do, i talked earlier with the company which sold me the damn board and they said that they cant replace it straight, even that the warranty is for 1 month, but they need to check the whole pc to "trace the problem" in their lab, and it may sit in there for almost 2 weeks, because they are so slow while i can maybe analyze it in few days.

This is so annoying because most chances that they will not fix anything but tell me to buy a new cpu like u said and take the risk again after i changed my whole pc already.

Maybe ur right about the damn cpu and the board [refurbished], but now ill gonna buy a new cpu, and replace the board again after i bought corsair hydro h90 liquid cooler and built all with many arctic silver thermal paste on it to most likely get the same result again?

I wouldn't go that far just yet. i would at least troubleshoot the board to see if we can find out if it is the board or the CPU. I would try remounting your CPU cooler to see if the results are any different. I would also inspect the socket again for bent pins. Also check the contact points on your CPU too.

m so frustrated and desperate from this problem already, i just dont know what to do, i talked earlier with the company which sold me the damn board and they said that they cant replace it straight, even that the warranty is for 1 month, but they need to check the whole pc to "trace the problem" in their lab, and it may sit in there for almost 2 weeks, because they are so slow while i can maybe analyze it in few days.

This is so annoying because most chances that they will not fix anything but tell me to buy a new cpu like u said and take the risk again after i changed my whole pc already.

I understand, but just buying a CPU at this point would just be throwing fuel on the fire. I dont mind helping you troubleshoot , if you dont mind taking the time to do it.

Ok i did it all, remounting the CPU and tried to inspect the socket again to c if there are bent pins or contact problems or something but didnt notice anything special at all, after i connected the cooler again with new thermal paste but not before i cleaned the previous.

But it didnt help either :[pouts:

When i insert a memory in slot 3 and restart the pc, it hangs with black screen.

And when i pull out the memory from slot 3 and insert it in slot 4 the pc restarts but doesnt detect that memory. [so bios detects only 16g instead of 20]

this is so frustrating u cant imagine...

All is ok if i put those 2 sticks of slots 3&4 and all the other sticks in slot 1, the system detects them.

Important Update:

I tried 2 sticks of 2g that belongs to the dominator TRX6giga kit which i had before in slots 3-4 and they worked together just fine with the vengeance sticks, so the system detects now 20giga but i cant work with both of them together as u know i guess...

So it seems to me now that the problem is not with slots 3-4 inside the board and they are undamaged because they recognized the other memories, but its another thing maybe connected with the cmz memories again or some settings in the bios.

All is ok if i put those 2 sticks of slots 3&4 and all the other sticks in slot 1, the system detects them.

I'm at a total loss stookza, this would point towards another fault MB

Important Update:

I tried 2 sticks of 2g that belongs to the dominator TRX6giga kit which i had before in slots 3-4 and they worked together just fine with the vengeance sticks, so the system detects now 20giga but i cant work with both of them together as u know i guess...

So it seems to me now that the problem is not with slots 3-4 inside the board and they are undamaged because they recognized the other memories, but its another thing maybe connected with the cmz memories again or some settings in the bios.

Again, I'm at a total loss. Memory just doesn't work this way. It can't be bad in one slot and fine in another. If it is a bad stick its is a bad stick. You might try swapping in the other sticks multiple times to see if they too quit being detected as well.

I guess at this point if your etailer is willing to swap the memory for you then maybe you should take advantage of it and try another kit. I really don't know what else to suggest. I just don't think that is the solution.

Np Peanutz i really understand u

Im total lost too, i just cant understand what is causing the problem, yes this is such a weird and annoying thing, but dont forget that all the vengeance sticks dont work in slots 3-4 at all, but they were all fine when i tested them with memtest, and they work and been detected in the other slots except of 3-4, but the dominator kit works in all the slots at speed 1066 and 1333 i didnt set it yet to 1600 but i will do it in the next minutes and will c if it works at that speed, and i willl work with them until the retailer will return me the replaced vengeance kit.

thx

• 2 months later...

Hi again Peanuts and others.

I got the replaced vengeance CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9 memory's set a week ago, since i posted 3 months ago last time in this forum.

Now all the memories has the same serial numbers, i mean from a family of 1 main serial number, and they are all fixed and fine after i checked them by memtest, the system finally detects them all 24giga but only by the default speed of 1066mhz :[pouts:, opposed to what was in the past that the system never detected them at 24g[with all the combinations i tried] but only at 16g with the p658xd-e or maximum 20g with the dfi t3eh6 board.

So when i raise the speed to the o.c 1600mhz [real speed of the memory], or even to 1333mhz the bios and the windows detects them again as 16g instead of 24 :[pouts: [and so when i restart the pc it makes the pc on standby mode and restarts 2-3 times on a loop and the red led on the motherboard turns on]

Even after i increased the qpi voltage to 1.45 and the memories voltage to 1.65 [like dominator voltage and not 1.50] it still doesnt work.

Any suggestions for me? Or the bios maybe cant never detects the memories as full 24giga on original o.c real speed of 1600mhz and even on 1333?

Thanks!

So when i raise the speed to the o.c 1600mhz [real speed of the memory], or even to 1333mhz the bios and the windows detects them again as 16g instead of 24 [and so when i restart the pc it makes the pc on standby mode and restarts 2-3 times on a loop and the red led on the motherboard turns on]

Hi Stookza, sorry to hear that did not work. I really didn't think it would.

Sorry to say your MB is the issue. There is nothing left it can be.

Hi Stookza, sorry to hear that did not work. I really didn't think it would.

Sorry to say your MB is the issue. There is nothing left it can be.

But the motherboard detects all the 24 giga on the defualt speed of 1066 with no problem. so why is that? [in the past it never detected the memories on 24giga with all the combinations and all the speeds that i tried]

A fact that it was good decision that i replaced the memories because now they are all from the same family of serial number, and can at least be detected all as 24g by the bios but only on the default speed of 1066, But its already an advantage compare what i had in the past with the other set.

But the motherboard detects all the 24 giga on the defualt speed of 1066 with no problem. so why is that? [in the past it never detected the memories on 24giga with all the combinations and all the speeds that i tried]

It could be any number of things with your board. I have said this numerous times, but I went through three x58 boards that did the same thing before I got one that would run or even detect all 24 gigs at rated speed.

Besides,There is nothing left that it could be . We have exhausted all other possibilities.

So why corsair creates memories that is uncompatible with all the other motherboard companies that create boards that should support 24giga of memory by the paper??? why they complicate all of it??? Its not the costumer fault that he always needs to buy new boards and spend more money on hardware just to test what is compatible and whats not, it should be accounted and tested by the companies precise like a robot! its computers! In the past i never had issues like that, all was more simple and precise with pcs.

I guess maybe ur right, but i dont know if to change to another board again and c the same results or to stay stucked with the 16g on 1600mhz.

Btw can u tell me what was ur board that detected all the 24giga on a rated speed of 1600mhz?

*I have to mention 1 more important thing: CPUZ shows all the 24giga on 1600mhz.

Thx

The onte in mt system specs.

So when i raise the speed to the o.c 1600mhz [real speed of the memory], or even to 1333mhz the bios and the windows detects them again as 16g instead of 24 [and so when i restart the pc it makes the pc on standby mode and restarts 2-3 times on a loop and the red led on the motherboard turns on]

Even after i increased the qpi voltage to 1.45 and the memories voltage to 1.65 [like dominator voltage and not 1.50] it still doesnt work.

*I have to mention 1 more important thing: CPUZ shows all the 24giga on 1600mhz.

Your confusing me. If CPUz is showing 24 gigs at 1600mhz, then what exactly is the issue. You said it doesn't and now it does?

The onte in mt system specs.

Your confusing me. If CPUz is showing 24 gigs at 1600mhz, then what exactly is the issue. You said it doesn't and now it does?

No lol i didnt say that, I meant for the bios and windows "general" on system properties that shows only 16g, but cpuz shows always all the 24gigs!

Irregardless, I can tell you 150% it's NOT a memory issue. It may be affecting your memory, but it is either your board or possibly CPU.

But u said urself only few min ago that u had 3 motherboards that didnt detect all the 24 giga on 1600mhz, so they were all broken or ur cpu was faulty?

And plz tell me what was your board that did detected[on bios, windows and cpuz] all the 24g on 1600mhz? u didnt tell me that yet.

If its an hardware problem like u say, so why only cpuz shows all the 24giga?

Thanks

But u said urself only few min ago that u had 3 motherboards that didnt detect all the 24 giga on 1600mhz, so they were all broken or ur cpu was faulty?

Yes, they were all faulty. And I did tell you what board....it is listed in my system specs. P6x58D-Premium

If its an hardware problem like u say, so why only cpuz shows all the 24giga?

Stookza, we have been through this numerous times now. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but we have exhausted all other possibilities. Originally you were worried about the serial numbers not being sequential. We told you that wasn't the problem You switched kits and are now having the same issue even with another kit that they made sure was sequential. We have tried to explain that the memory is not the issue, but for what ever reason you choose not to believe us. What ever you have going on whether it be your board or CPU , yes, it is affecting your memory, but it is not the fault of the memory itself.

Just because CPUz reports all 24 gigs doesn't mean a whole lot in this case. Your board is obviously having trouble running them and not reporting all of it all the time.

. Sorry without another CPU to test with I cant say for sure one way or the other if it's the board or CPU.

Here again, I'm really sorry, but there is nothing else that we can do to help you. We have 100% ruled out the me ory as the issue. You definitely have some other hardware issue

Yes, they were all faulty. And I did tell you what board....it is listed in my system specs. P6x58D-Premium

Stookza, we have been through this numerous times now. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but we have exhausted all other possibilities. Originally you were worried about the serial numbers not being sequential. We told you that wasn't the problem You switched kits and are now having the same issue even with another kit that they made sure was sequential. We have tried to explain that the memory is not the issue, but for what ever reason you choose not to believe us.

Ok thx for telling me, i know that ur not trying to be mean or something but it seems that u dont understand that the memory replacement did help for sure and im not in the same situation that i was before with the other kit, because with the other kit it didnt detect never 24g, but max 20g on every combination that i tried!

And with this kit it detected the whole 24g! but just on 1066mhz speed, when im trying to touch the o.c i lose the other 8g, So u cant say that i have the same issue.

Ur hurry to get into conclusions before u tested all the other specific options in the bios and maybe change qpi jumpers or something, before changing hardware.

Maybe i need to touch another option of cpu o.c or voltage in the bios to make it detects all the 24g on 1600mhz.

Maybe ur right and there is a problem with the board or the cpu but i cant test it because i dont have spares. and i cant take the risk again because i always spent lot of money on hardware almost for nothing, to finally get to the same result anyway.

There is no any guarantee that another cpu or motherboard will work. Why the cpu should be faulty if he detects the whole 24g with cpuz?

your cpu is native 1066 speed http://ark.intel.com/products/37147/Intel-Core-i7-920-Processor-8M-Cache-2_66-ghz-4_80-gts-Intel-qpi and with 6 sticks the strain on the memory controller at 1333 much less 1600 is just too much for it to take.

your motherboard supports 1600 but the CPU does not, especially will all slots populated.

at least thats my take on this if you dont mind my .02

Why the cpu should be faulty if he detects the whole 24g with cpuz?
CPU-Z is just reading the SPD info i think as to what is installed, not usable.

I think ur right Synthohol ,Many thx for the important info! This is a "breaking news" for me i didnt know all of that, so theres no option to make it on 1600mhz with 24giga i guess :{... But at least now i can be positive that there is a good chance that its not related with a faulty cpu or motherboard, but its a basic property of that cpu and his limit.

So do u think that i can work with 1333 or at least 1066 when the bios detects all the 24g memory but to do an O.C to the cpu to 3.2g?

I just dont know how to do o.c only to the cpu but without doing it to the memories in the "AMI" bios [in Award it was easier], do u have any suggestion for me or maybe a guide? [i just want to make an o.c to the cpu to 3.2g and work even on 1066 if needs, but that the system will detect all the 24g of the memories in the bios and windows]

Thanks!

Archived