Corsair Community

H115i Platinum pump noise

Dgamesta72

Hey everyone, I just purchased a H115i Platinum, set it up and have been hearing this weird noise coming from the pump. I would describe it as a rattling sound, which is only audible on "quiet" mode and not the extreme mode.

[ame=

]
[/ame] Listen for yourselves (volume up)

In the video I start off in "quiet" mode and then switch to extreme mode. My question is, Is this normal behavior, or is this really a defective unit? Because if this is just what a normal corsair pump sounds like then I'm just going back to my 4 year old cooler which has a more pleasing sound than this.

And to speed things up here, my PC has no other noise source, all fans are on zero rpm, no HDD's, and I'm not sure this is an air bubble situation because it goes away in extreme mode. Radiator is mounted as a intake with the tubes facing up.

Thanks.

The clickity-click stuff at the beginning does sound like an air bubbles. It's possible the higher speed on Extreme is able to push through with less resistance. There are some complaints regarding this pump, but they relate to the hum rather than that type of noise. I would give it some time to work itself out. You might be able to expedite the process by gently tilting the case back and forth or even turning it over on the side (if possible) while the pump is running. If you can't get rid of the noise, then it might be time to look at your other options.

• Corsair Employee
The clickity-click stuff at the beginning does sound like an air bubbles. It's possible the higher speed on Extreme is able to push through with less resistance. There are some complaints regarding this pump, but they relate to the hum rather than that type of noise. I would give it some time to work itself out. You might be able to expedite the process by gently tilting the case back and forth or even turning it over on the side (if possible) while the pump is running. If you can't get rid of the noise, then it might be time to look at your other options.

Give what c-attack mention and if doesn't seem to clear up - request an exchange for it with the vendor. If you run into any troubles at all please feel free to PM me.

Hey turns out you were right after all, it ended up being air bubbles. It seems that it there is a large amount of air stuck in the loop which I can not get rid of despite my best efforts. I took the out the cooler, tried shaking it and placing it just about every single way while running and can not get it to stop, unless the pump logo is lying flat horizontally which in my regular atx case is impossible to do. So unfortunately I'm going to return it instead of praying the air bubbles go away. I've never had this problem with other aio water coolers. It's a shame I really wanted to like this cooler. Thank you for the advice though I really appreciate it.

Experiencing the same with my H100i Platinum, also has this crackling noise from time to time and an electric hum basically all the time. Installed it about 2 weeks ago.

I did notice that on the first day the pump was almost inaudible with no electric noise when listening at 10cm distance, which I was extremely happy about, but that has since changed to the point where I hear it at 1 to 2 meter range.

The electric hum is of course the motor itself and that is going to be constant. I am more interested in the "crackling". It's usually air bubbles, but that is one to keep an eye on if it continues. Does it sound like the video in the original post? Or more infrequent and sharper in tone?

The electric hum is of course the motor itself and that is going to be constant. I am more interested in the "crackling". It's usually air bubbles, but that is one to keep an eye on if it continues. Does it sound like the video in the original post? Or more infrequent and sharper in tone?

It is very similar to how it sounds in the video. The way I would initially describe it, without considering air bubbles, is that it sounds like tiny particles circling around, grinding against something in the pump and not leaving it. I'm not saying this is what is happening but that's just what it sounds like to me.

I had a Corsair H105 right before this, air bubbles in that one actually sounded like air tiny bubbles in water, similar to how bubbles make that pop noise when they surface on water.

Was the H105 more like a "gurlgle"? (It's hard to put this stuff into sensible words). Regardless, try the steps suggested originally at the top about tilting the case some while running or lying on the side (if possible). If nothing helps, you can take the whole unit out and shake it, turn it upside down and around, but that is a hit or miss process. I would save that for the final solution - right before sending it back.

• 2 months later...

Hoped not having found this thread.

Got the same issue with my new purchased set today. Rattling pump noise, doesn't matter on which speed I let the pump run. I got a bigger problem as I am in 'Nam - where the Corsair importer is known to disregard this kind of issues :(

Will give it some time to see if extreme setting is able to flush out that noise or not

EDIT: running the pump after install on Extreme for a few hours seemingly did the trick. Will check again tomorrow after a cold restart if the rattle is gone.

It is very similar to how it sounds in the video. The way I would initially describe it, without considering air bubbles, is that it sounds like tiny particles circling around, grinding against something in the pump and not leaving it. I'm not saying this is what is happening but that's just what it sounds like to me.

I had a Corsair H105 right before this, air bubbles in that one actually sounded like air tiny bubbles in water, similar to how bubbles make that pop noise when they surface on water.

Couldn't explain the noise better then you do ! I had a H100v2 prior which was super duper silent. Seems they got it wrong with this new generation pump?

Archived