Corsair Community

msi k8n neo platinum (754 Socket)

unpro

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee
Please try the modules one at a time and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts after you load setup defaults! But they should run with out problems in this MB! I would suggest that you update the bios to the latest version before you start as well!

Hi, I an currently decieding on parts for my new PC. As of now here is the list. [URL=http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241132]MSI K8N Neo Platinum[/URL] [URL=http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80701-R]AMD Athlon 64 3200+[/URL] [URL=http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101436]Dual Seagate Barracudas[/URL] [URL=http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322688]eVGA GeForce 6800 GT[/URL] [URL=http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-005&depa=1]Aspire (Turbo Case) w/ 500 watt power suppyl[/URL] I also plan on running Windows XP Pro. I noticed a few users having problems with corsair memory and this board. I would like to use the XMS series, but I would also like the memory with the least about of problems. This PC is basically going to be used for gaming. What ram would you suggest or any of components as it is. Thanks.

Will just one 512mb stick of: [Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM [Model# VS512MB400C3 [Item # N82E16820145479 [Speed: DDR400(PC3200) Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM [Error Checking: Non-ECC Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered [Cas Latency: 3 Support Voltage: 2.5V Auto-detect and run properly in a [MSI nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Athlon 64 Socket 754 CPU, [Model "K8N Neo Platinum" (MS-7030) -RETAIL motherboard? We have heard some say it doesn't work as above and some say it does. We are building some systems and wanted to go this route if it works. What are ALL the correct BIOS settings for this memory in the motherboard? We have seen ramguy write- > Use slots 1-3 if you have more than one module and set Dim Voltage to 2.7 What if you have 3 sticks? Can you still run at pc3200(400mhz)? Is this memory SINGLE or DOUBLESIDED? From the MSI Neo faq- Q: I have 3 sticks of ram, or 2 sticks of doublesided ram, thats supposed to be pc3200(400mhz) yet the system shows it as pc2700(333mhz) or lower, howcome? A: The memmory controller of AMD64 does not officially support 400mhz speed on two doublesided sticks of ram, or on 3 sticks of ram (regardless of single/double side), however this board seems to be very tolerant concerning this, change your ram setting from auto to 200, and see if it helps. if not, try with other rams, theres no gurantte it will be able to function at 400mhz please note that this is a limitiation in the AMD 64 CPU's memory-controller, and not a limit in the motherboard ! /JET

well i wanted to get 1 gig or ram.. and i thought 2 sticks of 512 is faster then one stick... so what should i do here? Also, the ram u suggested isnt the XMS series. Is there that large of a difference?

• Corsair Employee
Yes, I would suggest if you want our XMS you use Twinx1024-3200LL for best performance and just use slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts. However, you had asked about VS512MB400C3 is why I had suggested the other part!

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM Model# VS512MB400 is what we will use then. Thanks RamGuy. Is this memory SINGLE or DOUBLESIDED? Does it matter? Can we run 2 or 3 sticks of this? Can we still run at pc3200(400mhz) with 2 or 3 sticks? What are the correct BIOS settings for this memory in the motherboard?

Ram Guy or anyone who knows: For the MSI nForce3 250 K8N Neo Platinum (MS-7030) Are these the correct setting we need to set for the Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM Model# VS512MB400 CAS - 2.5 RAS to CAS Delay - 3 RAS Precharge - 3 Cycle Time (tRAS) - 8 DDR Voltage - 2.75 Where do you set the 200MHz/DDR400? Can you not run 2 sticks of Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 at DDR400 in this motherboard because they are DOUBLE-SIDED? Suggestions?

• Corsair Employee
Well I can’t really suggest one MB over another as that will cause a conflict of interest for me! However, MSI does make a great MB and I do not see any reason to change, if you are still having problems, I would check for the latest bios and then maybe try your modules in another MB to try and help isolate the problem!

We purchased the: MSI nForce3 250 K8N Neo Platinum (MS-7030) (still at Bios1.1) and Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM Model# VS512MB400 as Ramguy suggested for this motherboard and ran MemTest86 3.1a and MemTest86+ 1.20 Always get ERRORS at 98% on test #5 (Block Move, 64 moves cached) 60,404 or so errors! Left setting at DEFAULT - ALWAYS get these same errors on test #5 Set manually: CAS-2.5 3-3-8 and tried DDR Voltage - 2.7 and 2.75 - Still get these errors Changed to 333 instead of 400 and NO LONGER get ERRORS! We are running a Retail AMD64 2800+ if that makes any diff btw. So, quesiton is, what to do now? Shouldn't this memory run at 400? Why does it work ALWAYS at 333 but NEVER at 400? Did we make a mistake going with this memory? Is it compatible? Seems it may not be fast enough perhaps? Would we need to get an RMA? RAMGUY or anyone please help?!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does it look like we have bad ram or a compatibility issue? Ramguy or anyone? We purchased the: MSI nForce3 250 K8N Neo Platinum (MS-7030) (still at Bios1.1) and Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM Model# VS512MB400 as Ramguy suggested for this motherboard and ran MemTest86 3.1a and MemTest86+ 1.20 Always get ERRORS at 98% on test #5 (Block Move, 64 moves cached) 60,404 or so errors! Left setting at DEFAULT - ALWAYS get these same errors on test #5 Set manually: CAS-2.5 3-3-8 and tried DDR Voltage - 2.7 and 2.75 - Still get these errors Changed to 333 instead of 400 and NO LONGER get ERRORS! We are running a Retail AMD64 2800+ if that makes any diff btw. So, quesiton is, what to do now? Shouldn't this memory run at 400? Why does it work ALWAYS at 333 but NEVER at 400? Did we make a mistake going with this memory? Is it compatible? Seems it may not be fast enough perhaps? Would we need to get an RMA? RAMGUY or anyone please help?!

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the modules in slots 1-3 and then test with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors please test them one module at a time and lets make sure its not just a weak module! If you do find you have a weak or failing module then let's get it replaced! Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

yihs, or anyone- We can't seem to get that memory to work in Slot 1 on a MSI nForce3 250 K8N Neo Platinum (MS-7030) (still at Bios1.1) Read above for failing tests and what we tried. Ramguy thinks we may have a bad part, but we are interested in hearing if anyone has had good luck with the Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM Model# VS512MB400 working with this motherboard Set manually: CAS-2.5 3-3-8 and tried DDR Voltage - 2.7 and 2.75 - Still get these errors. Prefer to leave at 2.5 because hear it is less stable at 2.7+ (BIOS also indicates this!) Changed to 333 instead of 400 and NO LONGER get ERRORS! We are running a Retail AMD64 2800+ if that makes any diff btw. Any suggestions from anyone welcome. Hard to believe it is just a bad part, but could be possible.

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure if you have more than one module you have them in slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and I would test with www.memtest.org! If you get errors, please test them one up to make sure it's not some other problem!

Hi, myjet... i just wanted to say that im also having the exact same problem as you!! I have EXACTLY the same setup as you, Athlon 64 2800 with Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM Model# VS512MB400 on the MSI K8N Neo Platinum (updated bios v1.3). I just bought the mobo last week and have since had numerous problems with stability, RAMGUY wat do u think is the problem ??? I have read thru so many threads abt this and this is so far the only similiar person i can find who has to same specs as me and also the same problems as me.... Can the value select ram from corsair support this mobo or not ?? or do we just have to tweak the memory configs abit to get it to work smoothly ?? or do u suggest we can a whole new memory stick instead cause i feel and think that this setup does not work. Probably you should try it out urself and let us know wat you think. Thanks and have a nice day. `gtkp10` from Malaysia

Here is the complete part # you asked for... well this is exactly what i read from my memory stick - [B]VS512MB400 LOT # 0425055-0[/B] Pls try it out and let me know what is the outcome, would really like to know asap... Thank you.. `gtkp10`

hello.. for some reason i too am suffering from this problem.. similar setup.. also K8N NEO Platinium and using a stick of Corsair VS 512MB DDR400 (Part Number VS512MB400 0403014) cept im using the 3200+ newcastle core it loads into windows fine.. but after a while or normal useage.. the system seems to blue screen and crashes.. i've been asking this question at alot of places.. lol. first AMD Forums.. then Neowin.. then decided to ask MSI support board.. then someone there directed me to this thread.. lol.. well.. im also affected with this problem.. doesnt seem to be stable running with the VS RAM.. :( i'm planning on replacing the current RAm with corsair TWINX 512MB DDR400.. hopefully those wont have this problem.. if it does then that would just be so not cool! >_<

Archived