Corsair Community

TwinX 1024MB 3200LL only does 2-3-3-6 in A7N8X Deluxe

amdNewbie

I just purchased a TwinX set of TwinX 1024 (2x512MB) PC3200LLPT modules to use in my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04 motherboard. The problem is that even at 166Mhz FSB I can only set memory settings to 2-3-3-5. I believe it only does 2-3-3-6 at 200Fsb but I don't have full 200Fsb stability so I can not verify that. Voltage settings make no difference. I am hoping there is something wrong with my motherboard becuase it is a real pain to bring things in an out of my country, ever for an RMA. The Markings on the heatsink of the chips are below. Twinx1024-3200LL, XMS3205v1.2 I am using BIOS 1007 for my motherboard. The problems seem very consistent. Perfectly stable at 2-3-3-5(166) and errors at 2-2-3-5(166). I used memtest 86 to test for errors. The errors come up withing a few seconds after starting when using the 2-2-3-5 or any higher. :mad: Any ideas about what I should do? Thanks

CMC_SAVAGE, thank you for your reply. I have set the settings correctly manually, but I also tried AUTO (optimal, agressive) setting which is the same as the manual ones I set. I know the 3200LL should run at a timing of 2-3-2-6 but when I set it these timings I get errors in memtest 86. I guess there is some confusion here about which parameters the 2-3-2-6 correspond to which is probably why you though I had it set incorrectly. I had simply set it to auto, then back to manual which shows the previous auto settings and used those settings. I interpretted the settings as follows: CAS Latency - 2 RAS to CAS Delay - 3 RAS Precharge Delay - 2 Active Precharge Delay - 6 AUTO at 166Mhz FSB sets them to 2-3-2-5, but I can only run memtest 86 stable at 2-3-3-5. I just now decided to try 2-2-3-5 instead of 2-3-2-5 and it so far memtest has gone 15 minutes without errors (usually gives errors within a few seconds on the second test). Could it be that the AUTO setting sets it incorrectly? I will have to leave memtest86 running for a few hours before I can be absolutely sure but it seems that the following settings work: CAS Latency - 2 RAS to CAS Delay - 2 RAS Precharge Delay - 3 Active Precharge Delay - 6 You may have been right about me not setting the timings correctly afterall, but the AUTO setting seems to be incorrect as well as it gives errors on auto (optimal or aggressive in BIOS) unless I am not using the right AUTO. I have been running tests as I type this reply which is why is seems as if my opinion has changed at this point from what it was when I typed the first line. Thanks

• Corsair Employee
The Rass to Cass should be set to 3! And you say that you have a 2500+ at 2800+ speeds? What do you have your CPU Freq. running at? Also what do you have the multiplier set to? I would suggest that you test the modules one at a time at these settings and lets make sure one is not failing! CPU Freq: 166 MHz Memory Freq: 100% DRAM Clock: 166 MHz SDRAM timings By SPD or SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T And I would set the Dim voltage to 2.7 Volts as well.

One thing I did notice in your sig is your MOBO version. Rev 1.04 only supports a 266/333Mhz FSB CPU. If you are trying to up the frequency on your CPU, this could be you problem. I would go to the Asus website and get the latest chipset drivers and a BIOS update. I recommend 1006.

It seems to be perfectly stable with Ras to Cas set to 2 and RAS Precharge set to 3. Later today when I get some time, I am first going to flash to BIOS 1006 and maybe 1004 if there is no difference and then test the modules individually at the correct settings you listed above. And yes I have a rev 1.04 purchased in January of last year. As for the 2800+ setting, the 2500+ multipliers are unlocked by default at 2500+ 11x166.66 = 1833MHz at 2800+ 12.5x166.66 = 2083MHz I have CPU Voltage set to 1.675 volts, as this was verified as stable while I had my old RAM. I will set all processor settings back to the default 2500+ settings while carring out the tests to rule out the processor as a part of the problem.

I have tested the modules individually, the error seems to be with only one of them. :(: The other one runs correctly at the specified timings, I tried the module in all 3 slots and it gave the same errors every time. I am currently filling out the rma request form.

Archived