Corsair Community

AX1200i random red light shutdown

tribaljet

Hello. I've recently built a Haswell system about a month ago, that's powered by an AX1200i PSU and everything have been working fine for over two weeks. Ever since then, my system has been randomly shutting down without any warning, and trying to power it on results in the PSU (and its fan) starting up for a couple seconds, then it clicks and shuts down, displaying a red light on the self test area, which then requires me to shut the PSU down, either through its power switch or from the outlet. It seems it needs some time while powered off before it boots up everything, otherwise it keeps doing the same 1-2 seconds power on, click, shutdown and red light cycle. When it does this, the GPU led blinks for a second and turns off as soon as the PSU shuts everything down.

Oddly, yesterday after I got yet another shutdown (on an 8 hour computer usage period I've been getting 2-3 shutdowns), the system kept trying to power on but the PSU shut everything off, this time without displaying the red light, but constantly looping a 2 seconds power on, shutting down and doing it all over again.

I had read that some users suggested the Corsair Link dongle and software could be causing instability issues, so I removed both software, drivers and hardware but to no avail.

I was running my CPU 100MHz higher than stock but I've reverted to stock clocks just to check whether it was tripping something. I have a mild GPU overclock and no memory overclock whatsoever. All reported temperature values are well within usable levels, no TDRs related to GPU temps, no forced shutdowns due to hitting the CPU's TJ Max.

I'm clueless as to what could be causing this, and having gone and getting a high end PSU precisely to avoid reliability issues, especially since it's impairing work related computer usage, is quite bothersome to say the least. What could be causing this issue and how can it be fixed?

Thanks

EDIT: I should add that the PSU's self test is supposedly ok as when running self test without any cable connected to the PSU, it powers on just fine, same with its fan, displaying a green light.

UPDATE: Since both CPU and GPU temps were well within safe values under load (72C for GPU and 76C for CPU), when a shutdown occured again, I went on to check the PSU and it was well beyond warm, and certainly higher than 40C, the value that the fan is supposed to start spinning. At the time the PSU was reporting 35C when it clearly couldn't be so low, which leads me to wonder whether the temperature sensor is broken.

Corsair Link (latest version) seldom displays PSU temps, doesn't display most data from the Power tab, excluding seldom PCIe amperage reporting and volt readings. Additionally, I found it baffling that I had to have Corsair Link installed for the PSU to have a slightly longer uptime. I'll try disabling OCP on all PCIe slots as some users have reported it prevented system shutdowns as the PSU would no longer over-read amperage and trigger a shutdown.

I should add that the motherboard's Anti Surge Support has been disabled as well, even though it was never triggered since there is a POST report whenever that happens. However, I read the FAQ and it mentioned potential incompatibilities between Corsair Link and AI Suite, and I do use the latter for monitoring and controlling fans. The current CL state doesn't warrant moving from AI Suite to it for fan monitoring/control, but there seems to be some Asus service tweaks (deletion might be a better word) that can improve that but I haven't found much info on that yet.

EDIT: Full CPU and GPU loads are being tested through Prime95 and FurMark, respectively and concurrently.

EDIT2: Prime95 is the latest version supporting FMA3 and running on blend. With the system configured as it was, 9 minutes of Prime95 would cause a shutdown. After disabling OCP and setting the PSU fan to always run at 40% (supposed to ramp from there onwards but that seems to be broken), I've managed to run both Prime95 and FurMark for 1 hour without the system shutting down.

So, is the AX1200i over-reading amperage so drastically that it can easily trip OCP, therefore shutting down the system? And considering that disabling OCP also disables multi-rail, what exactly is causing this? Additionally, why do I need to have Corsair Link installed, only to disable OCP in order to have a working system (for now, testing ended a few minutes ago) as opposed to being able to just use the PSU without the CL USB dongle and software, as not using both does trigger shutdowns very easily under CPU and GPU load?

• 11 months later...
  • Corsair Employee

It's a bad PSU if it's the exact same problem. Are you really experiencing the EXACT same problem? If not, perhaps start a new thread.

Those components are drawing current anywhere near the PSU's default OCP trip points. The only time you really need to disable OCP is if you're using a dual GPU card.

Hello jonnyguru. Thanks for replying.

It is exactly the same problem. I have a 4940k, ASUS hero vii. Although, I have 2 GPUs, one W8100 and one 7970. Should I disable OCP in this case too?

The problem started few months ago, but the last few days is more frequent. Today I had around 10 shutdowns. Sometimes I get shutdown when the PC is in sleeping mode.

• Corsair Employee

If it were OCP related, it would have started happening from day one.

If you still think it's OCP related, just make sure each graphics card uses two separate PCIe cables instead of the cable with two connectors.

A PC randomly shutting down can really be so may things.

I replaced the PSU with an another one for testing. Will use this PSU for a week just to make sure that there isn't anything else.

After that will install the AX1200i again and disable the OCP and see. I will post a reply in a week with my findings.

Many thanks again for your input!

Hello elavram.

I just realized I didn't post the resulting outcome and it was indeed the PSU that was faulty, requiring a replacement unit that now works as expected.

If you do happen to have very much the same symptoms regardless of OCP settings, along with similar symptoms to my situation, then it might be worth having the PSU up for RMA.

Good luck and I hope you get your situation sorted out quickly.

Hello,

Just to give an update.

I tested the system with another psu and I had a shutdown. It seems that the problem is not the PSU.

I tested the memory and it seemed fine. I am starting to think that it might be software problem (drivers, windows 10 dirty shutdown issue?). I will disassemble the system and assemble it again at some point just in case. Also, I will reinstall windows.

Anyhow, many thanks for your feedback!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello

I have been having the same issues also.

Since 4-5 months never had issues, since i built the machine

But past 1-2 weeks, computer runs for few hours, than automatically shuts down. And than i unplug the power supply cable. leave it for 15-20 minutes or so, and than Switch on the PC.

I understand you mentioned you installed the Intel Rapid Software, but when i am doing so to install, it is not installing.

You sure it was Software issue and nothing else related ?

• 1 year later...

Archived