Corsair Community

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 + Ryzen 5 1600 = No POST

Ze0

Hi,

My system was working almost year and half, but now i can't go through POST. This happening on my Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 mobo with CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (hynix ver.). So I borrowed basic ASUS Prime B450M-K mobo and everything was alright. Even a XMP profile worked with 3200MHz, which was problem on Gigabyte. After this experience i bought better B450 mobo (MSI B450 Tomahawk) and the result is the same as for the Gigabyte board = No POST. How is that possible? I understand that memory isn't on qvl sheet, but this applies to OC, on the base frequency everything should work, right? But I can't even go to BIOS.

I tested this RAM on two diferrent Intel systems and everything worked. Other components are OK (tested on others systems too). CPU is Ryzen 5 1600.

Is there any solution? Thx

Thx for reply.

Yes, it was the same CPU. Not working on Gigabyte and MSI, but it works od ASUS mobo.

3200MHz on Gigabyte wasn't stable. I ran them on 2993MHz. VCORE SOC was tested between 1.110 - 1.150V. if I remember correctly most of the time it was running on 1.116V.

But now i saw video that says , that Gigabyte mobo show lower voltage, than it really is. They say, that it can be even 0.1 more, than the mobo says, which is really stupid. Is it possible, that my memory controller in CPU is damaged?

That is what I was wondering. I saw similar stuff on the web as well that gigabyte tends to push more voltage, and perhaps other boards too. If you can pop it back in the asus board maybe see what voltages it tries to use that allows it to work.

If your cpu was degraded to the point it wouldn't post in those other two motherboards I wonder why it posted for the asus board?

By any chance did you try a hard BIOS/UEFI reset with the boards where it didn't work. (maybe battery pull if needed)

If you had another ryzen cpu handy that might help troubleshooting but I would try to clear the BIOS/UEFI before plugging in a different CPU so you don't accidentally apply your prior settings to the test cpu.

I don't have ASUS mobo anymore, it was very cheap cut verison (ASUS B450M-K) just for the test. When it worked on the ASUS B450M, I expected it will work on MSI B450. Mistake.

That is what I also do not understand. How is it possible that it worked on the asus board?

Yeah, i reset BIOS many times. CMOS reset, pulled battery off even overnight, Pwr+rst for 20/40 sec. Nothing works. MSI B450 behaves the same way. No POST, just instant CPU LED diod.

Unfortunately I don't have another Ryzen CPU.

A few weeks back I had the opportunity to try different RAM (HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz) on Gigabyte and no POST too.

Now, I don't know if it's worth getting a new RAM which are on the qvl sheet or if I should buy a new processor and possibly return it afterwards.

BTW if it's really a CPU error, what is the probability of accepting a claim? The CPU is still 2 months under warranty.

I don't have ASUS mobo anymore, it was very cheap cut verison (ASUS B450M-K) just for the test. When it worked on the ASUS B450M, I expected it will work on MSI B450. Mistake.

That is what I also do not understand. How is it possible that it worked on the asus board?

Yeah, i reset BIOS many times. CMOS reset, pulled battery off even overnight, Pwr+rst for 20/40 sec. Nothing works. MSI B450 behaves the same way. No POST, just instant CPU LED diod.

Unfortunately I don't have another Ryzen CPU.

A few weeks back I had the opportunity to try different RAM (HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz) on Gigabyte and no POST too.

Now, I don't know if it's worth getting a new RAM which are on the qvl sheet or if I should buy a new processor and possibly return it afterwards.

BTW if it's really a CPU error, what is the probability of accepting a claim? The CPU is still 2 months under warranty.

I have no idea as to why it worked on the asus board. The fact it worked gives a possibility the problem is elsewhere.

After reset were you sure to replace jumpers etc back to default position?

Did you try swapping out the PSU?

Did you try only with one stick in the primary slot (and then the other)? (usually A2 but check your manual to be sure)

If your ram worked on the other systems I might think that is ok but what DRAM voltage were you running if you remember?

I can't answer the warranty question. If you only messed with frequency I don't think there would be any issue.

You might pick up a cheap 200GE at newegg for about $50 and keep it around for troubleshooting and pair it with your old board later to make a NAS device.

Did your CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 have a specific version number?

I don't really have any other ideas for you at the moment.

I don't have a jumper. I use a screwdriver.

I tried different PSU.

I tried every possible combination for RAM slots.

Don't remebmer DRAM voltage but I never went to the extreme numbers.

Today, I borrow another ram and try it on Gigabyte and MSI board. If I don't get into BIOS, problem must be CPU and his IMC (integrated memory controller), which sucks. then I probably buy a new cpu and RMA old one. If they accept the claim, I will sell the old CPU.

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 is 5.39 which is unfortunately Hynix version. But it shouldn't prevent me from get into BIOS.

Archived