Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2018, 06:16 PM
Snoctopus's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942199
Snoctopus Reputation: 10
Default SP120 RGB Disassembly & Lubrication

Hi Everyone,

I have a Corsair 570x case with 6 of the SP120 RGB fans. Recently, there has been some very loud rattling coming from the fans, too loud to ignore. I've tried to find a video or guide regarding how to disassemble the fans to lubricate them, but I haven't had any luck finding anything.

Has anyone been able to successfully do this?

I am aware that I'd be voiding my warranty by taking the fans apart, I just want to know how to disassemble them and lubricate them to resolve the noise issues.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2018, 10:04 AM
iCue βeta Team
solarity's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942284
solarity Reputation: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoctopus View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a Corsair 570x case with 6 of the SP120 RGB fans. Recently, there has been some very loud rattling coming from the fans, too loud to ignore. I've tried to find a video or guide regarding how to disassemble the fans to lubricate them, but I haven't had any luck finding anything.

Has anyone been able to successfully do this?

I am aware that I'd be voiding my warranty by taking the fans apart, I just want to know how to disassemble them and lubricate them to resolve the noise issues.

Thanks!
Open up a support ticket and/or RMA them. I like to tinker a lot and would not touch a fan like that, while it is still under warranty. Fans are not designed to be serviced. For old sleeve bearings fans, when I was I poor college student, I use to peel the sticker and put a drop of oil in axle, though the fans were out of warranty and cheap. That might have worked for an old cheap sleeve bearing fan, though the SP-120s are fluid bearings, I have a good feeling that they might be sealed and might not be serviceable. So all you might be doing is voiding your warranty w/o any results.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:01 AM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942291
Zotty Reputation: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoctopus View Post
some very loud rattling coming from the fans
I think at that point you are past the point of no return.. if it's ran dry long enough to begin rattling then the bearing is dead mate.. excess play now lives there..

as suggested above.. contact support,, proof of purchase helps massively as does any proof of said problem.. video/pictures/link to this thread.. every little helps bud..

Good luck :)

Old 02-08-2019, 08:52 AM
TheSchlaf's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993169
TheSchlaf Reputation: 10

Necroing an old thread. I just took my SP120 apart by pulling the fan portion away from the frame. Make sure to support the middle of the frame behind the fan hub or you risk it cracking. It requires A LOT of force to sperate the 2. Once I got them separated, there is a section in the middle of the fan with the bearing that can be lubricated.