The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2019, 08:05 PM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990056
jeffk42 Reputation: 10

For what it's worth, I haven't been able to thoroughly test yet, but updating to iCUE version 3.11.114 and then rebooting so far seems to have resolved most of my problems. I'm trying to watch out for anything out of the ordinary because I don't fully trust that everything is fixed yet, but so far so good. :)

Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 AM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990250

Update: Corsair has gotten in contact with me. As I mentioned above, the problem was mostly resolved by the last software update, but I still sometimes get a disconnect on reboot, and so far I've gotten one during a game. But that's only once in about 48 hours, which is way better than every 15 minutes like it was previously. Hopefully they'll have something I can do to resolve the remaining problems, though I expect it will require another update.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:14 PM
PewPewMatt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990702
PewPewMatt Reputation: 10
Thumbs down

Just finished my new build with the H115i Platinum and I'm experiencing identical issues.

Used to have the H115i and didn't have any of these problems! Running latest update on ICUE, majorly p***ed off that my brand new 'premium' cooling solution keeps on cutting out mid-game, causing my temperatures to soar.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:22 PM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 991258

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewMatt View Post
Just finished my new build with the H115i Platinum and I'm experiencing identical issues.

Used to have the H115i and didn't have any of these problems! Running latest update on ICUE, majorly p***ed off that my brand new 'premium' cooling solution keeps on cutting out mid-game, causing my temperatures to soar.
I've been talking with support, and they asked me to remove the USB cable and replace it with one of my own that plugs into a USB A port in the back of the computer, rather than the included cable that connects to the motherboard. When I did this, nearly ALL of my problems completely disappeared. As unlikely as it sounds, it seems to be the USB cable connected to the pump that was giving me problems. They are sending me a new one.

The one problem that hasn't been resolved is the initial disconnect every time I reboot the computer. I have to go into iCUE and click the "Restart iCUE Service" button in Settings and it comes back up. Having this relatively minor issue that only comes up on reboot is WAY better than what was previously happening. It's still a problem that needs to be resolved, of course, but I no longer regret the purchase like I did at first.

My recommendation is that you open a ticket with Corsair Support for any problems you're having. They seem a bit backlogged at the moment, so it may take a few days, but they'll get back to you and they've been quite helpful. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Glzmo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993747
Glzmo Reputation: 10
Exclamation

I just bought and installed the H115i RGB Platinum on my system, including the latest version of iCue (3.12.118) and updated the firmware to the latest version (1.00.33) via iCue as well. I also get the USB disconnects while Steam is running, which often also lead to crashes of the H115i's USB driver (only a PC restart will fix it).
The H115i is connected directly to an USB Header on my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master mainboard (I tried both that are available, no change). I have Windows 10 Education 64 bit 1809 with all the latest patches and drivers installed.

I tested this on my brother's and my friend's computers as well, the behavior is 100% reproducible on them, too.

1. It seems the problem is related to Steam. If I start Steam and let it run, it will repeatedly disconnect and reconnect the H115i.

Reading the Steam forums a bit, it might be related to the Steam Controller feature (since many users have reported other USB devices being randomly disconnected/reconnected while Steam is running).
Steam will see the Corsair as an Unknown HID device (and perhaps H115i is also falsely reporting itself as USB game controller?), assume it might be a controller, try to access/poll all USB devices and cause a disconnect/reconnect it in the process (especially if you have many USB devices connected and they are polled all at once, potentially overloading the USB bus).
This will often cause the H115i's Driver to crash (especially when the Fan RGB lighting is enabled), in which case it reverts to default "silent" mode which may not be enough to cool the system.
The Steam controller feature apparently can't be turned off completely to prevent the issue.

I hope that Corsair can get in contact with Steam and work on a solution for this issue (I've already reported the bug over at Steam as well). Random USB devices disconnecting may not be too bad, but when it's a CPU cooler that requires the device/driver to run for good cooling performance, it's critical as heck as it could cause permanent damage to the CPU.

That said, I wish Corsair would let us "burn in" our iCue profiles to be saved in firmware and applied automatically as "fallback" (instead of dropping to some sort of quiet or balanced like it does now) even when not connected and iCue isn't running, it would be safer instead of having to rely on the software and driver to be active. I'd certainly prefer my custom, aggressive fan curve and Extreme pump setting to stay default so the 9900K and the system which the H115i's fans help circulate air through won't overheat. Maybe we can get such an option added to a future firmware.

2. I also get the H115i USB disconnect/reconnect on Windows Startup (Steam isn't starting up automatically for me, so it isn't the cause here).

Edit: The Driver crashes I can prevent by connecting the H115i RGB Platinum to an USB 3.1 port outside the case with a cable I had here at home. It seems the included USB2.0 for the internal connector isn't entirely sufficient to power the H115i RGB Platinum and it's two fans with lighting running. Steam still does disconnect the H115i, though, albeit it doesn't cause the driver to crash anymore when connected to an USB3.1 port in the back.

Last edited by Glzmo; 02-15-2019 at 04:32 PM.