Corsair Community

Black Screening / Video Card output switching off from iCUE

WhiskeyOmega

Ive had this issue with Corsair software for a while and the reason I know it to be corsair software was I removed both hardware and software from the PC and didnt have an issue at all for at least 2 weeks since then.

I am now on a mission to find this issue.

I was using Corsair link due to running a H100i V1 which was too old to support iCUE. Since then I have upgraded to a H150i so I only have to run iCUE as I thought the issue remained in some sensor conflict between link and some other software.

As it turns out I didn't have an issue for 5 days with iCUE until I installed AIDA64 to look something up then all of a sudden the dreaded Black screening appears again this time only with iCUE installed. Not sure if its a coincidence though. I have uninstalled AIDA64 only for the problem to persist. Im thinking it will still persist until I remove everything corsair from the system again and reinstall.

It doesnt happen anywhere near the frequency it used to with Corsair link but ill be keeping an eye on the debug logs the next time it happens and hopefully we can smash this early on in iCUE's testing phase.

Could be an issue between iCUE and AIDA64 because iCUE has no software interlock which gives issues when using iCUE and AIDA64 at the same time. Btw did you check your ram for faults? I just recently had the same issues like you and via memtest86+ I found out that my ram produced errors (most probably OC was too high). After fixing this issue I have no problems with this anymore (iCUE and AIDA64 are still not working together but that's an iCUE issue). Edited by ChriscomIT

• 1 month later...

I appear to be making progress on the corsair link/iCUE bug that causes black screens on x79/x99

Normally I come downstairs in the morning to hear my 1080ti fans going full whack knowing full well that its black screened over night but the last couple of days the fans havent kicked it resulting in worrying temps however I now have got this in the event from when the black screen occurs until the time I hard reset.

4gH0LhC.png

I just bought a k95 Platinum and I'm having the same issue. It's incredible that no one from Corsair is providing some information about it. I hope that I'll no forced to return the keyboard...I choose Corsair for software possibilities, but because of this bug any other keyboard is better.

Whats weird is it seems to mostly pop up on pc's with the 4930k. Ive had the issue since last July and have been waiting for iCUE. I would like Corsair to wake up and remove what they seem to be doing with the graphics card sensors. There is some extremely unsafe things happening on the background since corsair avoid the NVAPI which is confusing the sensors and causing the graphics card to crash. Honestly all they need is a X79 system with a 4930k & Nvidia 10 series gfx card setup to reproduce the problem. EU Consumer Law has already been broken on all products that require link or iCUE due to them not being to satisfactory quality.

Whats weird is it seems to mostly pop up on pc's with the 4930k. Ive had the issue since last July and have been waiting for iCUE. I would like Corsair to wake up and remove what they seem to be doing with the graphics card sensors. There is some extremely unsafe things happening on the background since corsair avoid the NVAPI which is confusing the sensors and causing the graphics card to crash. Honestly all they need is a X79 system with a 4930k & Nvidia 10 series gfx card setup to reproduce the problem. EU Consumer Law has already been broken on all products that require link or iCUE due to them not being to satisfactory quality.

So it's been more than a year and issue is not resolved yet? If it is, I think they will note resolve the problem, so the only solution is to return my keyboard and buy nothing more from Corsair. I'm very disappointed, I was a big fan of Corsair.

So it's been more than a year and issue is not resolved yet? If it is, I think they will note resolve the problem, so the only solution is to return my keyboard and buy nothing more from Corsair. I'm very disappointed, I was a big fan of Corsair.

I just want them to Acknowledge it as a known issue that they are at least trying to fix. I havent even had that.

I just want them to Acknowledge it as a known issue that they are at least trying to fix. I havent even had that.

This is really incredible, sad, and disappointing for a brand like Corsair. But have you tried to send a ticket on their support? I send it today, but I lost almost all my hopes.

• Corsair Employee

I'd like to make a few comments.

1.) Thank you for reporting this issue. I was not aware of it but we will see if it can be reproduced.

2.) We have plenty of systems here with all of the latest chipsets. We also have all of the hardware you mentioned and we are not experiencing anything similar.

3.) iCUE uses the same service (but improved) as LINK to detect the DIY devices so if LINK had the issue, it may persist in iCUE *if* its related to the service.

4.) iCUE like LINK before uses CPUID SDK to detect the sensors. Whatever that we are doing is no different than anyone else who uses CPUID.

5.) I don't understand the "EU Law" comment. While I understand your frustration, lets keep it objective please.

1.) Thank you for reporting this issue. I was not aware of it but we will see if it can be reproduced.

2.) We have plenty of systems here with all of the latest chipsets. We also have all of the hardware you mentioned and we are not experiencing anything similar.

3.) iCUE uses the same service (but improved) as LINK to detect the DIY devices so if LINK had the issue, it may persist in iCUE *if* its related to the service.

4.) iCUE like LINK before uses CPUID SDK to detect the sensors. Whatever that we are doing is no different than anyone else who uses CPUID.

5.) I don't understand the "EU Law" comment. While I understand your frustration, lets keep it objective please.

First of all thank you for your reply, it's important (at least for me) that a Corsair's member is interested in user's problems. So I find really strange that you can't reproduce the problem, I was using iCUE and not LINK, and I was having the same issue (as all other x79 users). I tried all solution possible, which are:

-Deep format of my HDD

-Clean install of Windows 10

-Clean install of all Nvidia driver release (with DDU for all release installation)

-Update the Bios

-Clean install of iCUE 3.4.95

The only solution to have not the issue is to uninstall the iCUE. Are 2 days now that I haven't Black Screen with iCUE not installed.

Now I'm trying to use CUE (2.24.50) and CPUID separately. I don't know yet if there are problems, but on iCUE I'm sure because without it I haven't.

Ok Thanks for understanding as you are the 1st person since I discovered Corsair Link/iCUE was the problem back in October (it took 2 months to find they were the cause after I bought the 1080ti) To acknowledge it.

With either iCUE or a new Nvidia driver freshly installed the problem may not present itself until about 3 or 4 days but it will get more frequent. At the moment having just uninstalled/reinstalled iCUE it is currently in the habit of black screening about a hour after I leave it on overnight. Which is odd that the behaviour changes based randomly on the current install of iCUE as the last install was worse for black screening and actually the 1st to show the nvidia drivers crashing constantly in the windows event viewer but their are a series of other factors such as Windows 10 RS4

Im trying to remember what can be done to exacerbate the problem for your dev team but im now firmly disciplined in a routine to make the black screening show less of it self somehow after months however I can suggest a few things and maybe the other users can help.

1. Run more then 1 sensor monitoring program such as AIDA64.

2. I run MSI Afterburner all the time for manual overclocking the card to 2050/2038mhz and these options

TDraTob.png

3. I Currently run a commander pro (plugged into 1 motherboard header) with 6 fans (7 with a splitter) plugged in to it and 2 RGB Lighting hubs as well as a H150i which is plugged into its own USB header on the mother board. I also have a AX1200i which uses the older interface cable with the usb adapter 16-USB-dongle.jpg

Which cause the black screening more so i removed it

It was also alot worse when I had the older H100i (CW-9060009-WW) in Corsair link (Again this could have been entirely random)

This is all along with running a X79 Chipset board such as the Asus Rampage IV Black edition and a 4930k.

Edited by WhiskeyOmega

Can I get the iCUE logs as well as Windows logs from the Event Manager? I'll see if I can find something with the team. You can PM me with the logs.

I take it that is "system" in the window logs?

The last time it happened 17:00 yesterday (its a good day!)

Anyway sending them now. The corsair device pinging in the log just goes dead when it happens.

Might I suggest that you disable your overclock?

iCue uses OpenGL, which is executed on your GPU.

Overclocks may lead to GPU instability, inherently. And just because it passes DirectX stability tests doesn't mean that OpenGL is stable.

Might I suggest that you disable your overclock?

iCue uses OpenGL, which is executed on your GPU.

Overclocks may lead to GPU instability, inherently. And just because it passes DirectX stability tests doesn't mean that OpenGL is stable.

Sorry i forgot to mention ive tried debug mode in nvidia control panel that not only kills my overclock but kills the pre-overclock of the strix. The problem still occurred.

Hi!

I just registered to say that i'm having the same problem. Im running on ryzen 7 1700x / ASUS ROG Strix X370-F motherboard / 16gb 3200 gskill / evga ftw gtx 1080 / windows 10 up-to-date.

I installed iCUE yesterday and all of the sudden, random black screen/no more video output, it also turns off my Corsair Strafe RGB when that happen and thats the only reason why I have installed iCUE.

* Note, my mouse (Zowie) doesnt turn off when that happen *

I just uninstalled iCUE and no more black screen so far.

Also note that im running EVGA Precision X and Thermaltake TT RGB Plus.

It might be a compatibility issue with TT RGB Plus.. i doubt it would be EVGA Precision X.. but I dont know.

I guess I just won't install iCUE :/

i have exactly the same issues with icue... blacksreens!

My System is

i7 4930K // 2x 980ti // 32GB Ram // Latest Windows 10 // VoidPro USB // K70 RGB Keyboard // K65 RGB Pro Mouse

k

i can't reproduce the problem, It seems to occur sporadically. sometimes when i use photoshop it causes in a lag and freeze, then my monitor turns black! in the event display i get the warning: The display driver "nvlddmkm" no longer reacts... sometimes if i look at some videos on youtube i get the same issue...

uninstall icue helps me to get no more blackscreens! Is there any chance to get the latest CUE2 version again?

Edited by KillBiIl