Corsair Community

H100i v2 Installation query

H-oltz

Hi guys

I have the above model installed for a few months now, temps are fine, system is fine but I wasn't quite happy with the fan noise so started looking into it and got a bit confused!

I have the cooler setup with the link cable going into the usb 2 on motherboard (although I haven't used or installed the software yet).

I have the 3 pin power going into the 4 pinCPU fan header on the mobo with the far left pin exposed and the other cables into a splitter to power the fans via the psu. I believe this is the correct setup, please let me know if it isn't.

In my bios under qfan control I was trying to get the fans quieter as I can hear them ramping up and down and generally being louder than they should just while browsing etc and during gaming they would blow quite hard even when my CPU was reaching maximum temps of like 50c. I had a play with the settings and switched to and from PWM and DC just to see what happened. The fans are quieter on DC but I have since read on these forums that I should be setting the fan header to 100% and PWM. I didn't think I could use PWM as it is only a 3 pin and the fourth pin on the header isn't used thus I thought PWM would not be controlled?

Could someone please let me know if i have the connections correct and what the correct fan setup in the bios is please? Preferably to match my motherboard - Asus - Prime Z370-A.

Many thanks for your help.

I have the 3 pin power going into the 4 pinCPU fan header on the mobo with the far left pin exposed and the other cables into a splitter to power the fans via the psu. I believe this is the correct setup, please let me know if it isn't.

This is correct.

In my bios under qfan control I was trying to get the fans quieter as I can hear them ramping up and down and generally being louder than they should just while browsing etc and during gaming they would blow quite hard even when my CPU was reaching maximum temps of like 50c. I had a play with the settings and switched to and from PWM and DC just to see what happened. The fans are quieter on DC but I have since read on these forums that I should be setting the fan header to 100% and PWM. I didn't think I could use PWM as it is only a 3 pin and the fourth pin on the header isn't used thus I thought PWM would not be controlled?

This is explained in the Liquid Cooler FAQ, section B. It is essential that the cooler receive a constant 12V and setting it to 100% and/or PWM will ensure that it gets a constant 12V. On Asus motherboards, it is easiest to simply disable Q-Fan control for the CPU_FAN header. Failure to do so may result in damage to the pump.

I would recommend that you install Link or (ideally) iCUE to control the fans as well as to monitor coolant temperatures. The automatic settings are based on coolant temperature, not CPU temperature. Again, please see the Liquid Cooler FAQ (A3, A17, A18) for more in-depth discussion of this.

Thank you for replying.

I understand now that PWM for the CPU fan just disables Qfan control for that header. I set it to full speed and PWM as advised in my bios and it shows up as qfan disabled. Unrelated but my rear fan was displaying incorrectly(500k rpm :P) and was plugged into cpu opt I have moved that now to CHA 2 and it is now displaying correct RPM. I also ran my motherboards fan tuning software and the PC is nice and quiet now, however I will install the software you suggested and follow the guides.

Im guessing the software runs in the background all the time to control the fans and overrides the bios?

Thanks.

Thanks mate. Out of interest I could potentially just leave it now and not use the software as the cooler is running at 100%? and my bios is controlling the other fans. The only drawback would be that the cooler is doing that based on the CPU temp not the liquid temp in the cooler?

On most Asus boards, OPT is a copycat of CPU with no settings of it's own. If you put the cooler on CPU fan, you don't want anything else on OPT. CPU/OPT really only has value as twin CPU fan cooler control. Even if you put the radiator fans on the motherboard for now, I would prefer a CHA fan if you have one. CPU/OPT have some hidden rules and often ignore useful things like fan delays that would make using CPU temperature as a control variable more tolerable.

If you leave the fans on the cooler with no software installed, it will run from it's own firmware settings. It will be liquid temp controlled, but there is no accounting for room temperature and this will likely be the least preferable option unless it is the dead of winter and your room is cold.

Archived