Corsair Community

H100i v2 issue with new motherboard

IcedDog

Hi, my H100i v2 was running great in my new system for the first month, and then I replaced the motherboard (from Gigabyte to MSI) just now and the fans on the radiator spin and their LEDs light up when I initially turn the PC on, but then they stop a few seconds later (though the fan LEDs stay very dimly lit). Corsair link also shows the pump at 0 RPMs, so it appears the unit as a whole isn't functioning properly, not just the radiator fans. Seems like the unit isn't getting enough power, but I checked the mobo 24pin and 8pin connections.

With the previous mobo, my CPU would idle at around 25C, but now it idles at around 43C. I tried hooking up the unit to the pump fan header instead of the CPU header, but no change. I installed the new mobo drivers from the disk, bu I didn't do a reinstall of Windows 10 (wondering if I should). Any ideas?

I suspect you failed to disable the CPU_FAN header fan control in the BIOS so that the H100iV2 get's the constant +12 volts that is needs and need to do this.

Corsair, I have replied to threads saying this tens of times. There should be a sticky thread saying this is needed and the installation guide should be far clearer about this.

Yes, it will be on CPU_FAN setup panel, but I can't tell you exactly where as your PC specs still specify GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0) rather than MSI, fix then! A link to the motherboard manual would also be appropriate.

Sorry, it's the MSI Z270 GAMING M7.

Set CPU_FAN to PWM and for good measure all points to 100% (fan as fast as possible). By setting PWM then pin-2 will always be +12 volts as in PWM node the speed is controlled by pin-4. Note that pin-1 is earth and pin-3 the speed signal.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27715&stc=1&d=1486658098

30602056_MSIZ270GAMINGM7CPU_FANSetup.thumb.png.0c6b928cd3bc05364210565e4049b58e.png

Many thanks red-ray, my H100i is back in business after setting it to PWM mode :biggrin: The only downside is the radiator fans constantly run at 100% and no longer adjust to CPU temp like they did on the Gigabyte mobo. Do you know of any workaround for that?

The only downside is the radiator fans constantly run at 100% and no longer adjust to CPU temp like they did on the Gigabyte mobo. Do you know of any workaround for that?

I assume the radiator fans are connected to the H100iV2, so suspect you need to use CL4 to configure them. Setup a custom curve which is controlled by the H100iV2 temperature. Attach the CL4 [Home] tab + the fan configuration screen shots if you need help.

Whatever you did on the Gigabyte sounds wrong to me and this is not a work around, but rather what you are meant to do.

I noticed the home screen of CL4 doesn't show any CPU info other than "Intel Kaby Lake" and its Load %...and CPU temp is not one of the options to set my fan curve to...is this a bug?

Yes, it's a bug and it's got bells on as CL 4.5.0.55 does not support Kaby Lake either.

Which version of CL4 is the screen shot from and I am wondering does CL 4.5.0.55 report your LED DIMMs at all?

1. Failing to support Kaby Lake is outrageous :mad:. Looking at my earlier post all it takes to fix this is a later CPUIDSDK.dll so one should be attached to the first post in this thread.

My CL4 is version 4.3.0.154. The RAM LED functionality is a bit buggy...it'll let me change the LED to static, but only one of my two DIMMs will respond.

Thank you. I suspected it was CL 4.3.0.154, I get the same and with CL 4.5.0.55 no LED DIMMs show up. Do either of yours?

It does not really affect me as I don't use CL4 and my software can control both LED DIMMs, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=888742

No, those are both with CL 4.3.0.154

EDIT: Sorry, the second screenshot is without the CL cable plugged in, just wanted to grab a quick screenshot of the LED RAM section.

I just upgraded CL to version 4.5.0.55, but the top screenshot remains relevant, as nothing changed. I find it odd, however, that CL link told me I had the current version before I manually updated CL from the Corsair site. At any rate, my radiator fans also don't adjust to any CL fan curves, regardless of the temperature source I select. I'm guessing this is because I'm not using the stock 4-pin pwm fans, but rather a pair of 3-pin Cougar fans. It's not a huge deal as the Cougar fans top out at about 1300 RPM and are pretty quiet, but it would be nice to have the option.

I'm guessing this is because I'm not using the stock 4-pin pwm fans, but rather a pair of 3-pin Cougar fans.

Yes, only 4-pin PWM fans are supported. I advise you to use 4-pin PWM fans.

Does CL 4.5.0.55 report your LED DIMMs? Please post a screen shot. The [sMB Bus] panel (Menu->System->SMB Bus) from my SIV utility would be helpful so I can see what the LED firmware revision is.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27787&stc=1&d=1487147666

Nope, the Vengeance LED RAM no longer shows in CL...does this screenshot help?

Thank you, this is exactly the image I wished to see.

You have Revision 03 LED DIMMs which is the same as I have. There are also Revision C0 LED DIMMs so I am still wondering if it's just the Revision 03 that CL 4.5.0.55 fails to report.

We need someone who has Revision C0 LED DIMMs to post as you did to know.

BTW it's best to use .PNG rather than .JPG for screen shots. The reason for the .PNG I posted being rather large is down to yours being a .JPG and .PNG is usually smaller and crisper.

1866064658_Revision03LEDDIMMs.thumb.png.4327f2c2ab7053ca6bfae2780d42bb56.png

Archived