Corsair Community

hx 750i questions

scruffy1

hi

hopefully this is the right area to ask, but feel free to move me to "gamers" if that's more appropriate

i have just installed this psu - it was an rma replacement for my well used hx-650 that started making noise - and i can't complain except for having to shoe-horn it into my case, seeing it is way longer than the 650 :bigeyes:

two questions :

• i am running a gtx-760 oc that requires 8+6 additional pci-e connectors - is it okay to use a single lead and utilise both connectors from that, or should i use 2 discrete cables for supply ? i note that the gtx is gigabyte "overclock" model, but have also bumped the core a small additional amount without voltage adjust (there isn't facility to do that)

• also, on the link software i have the ability to choose multi rail (default), or single rail - does my cable choice above influence what i should choose ? i haven't tried gaming yet, pending answers, as i don't want to cause a problem if the card needs a different arrangement of the power leads

the machine is running a venerable 2500k, mildly o/c'd to 4.2ghz at 1.225vid, with 2x8gig sticks of G.Skilll at 2133 10-12-12-31 1T

it's old kit, but it rocks aplenty :cool:

thanks for some clarification on the safety of my set up, and what the rails can do for me :dunno:

cheers.

ps. ignore my system specs on the link in my avatar - the socket a gear was the shizz last decade, running corsair with bh5 chips, but i've moved on a way since then, in many steps

1. i am running a gtx-760 oc that requires 8+6 additional pci-e connectors - is it okay to use a single lead and utilise both connectors from that, or should i use 2 discrete cables for supply ? i note that the gtx is gigabyte "overclock" model, but have also bumped the core a small additional amount without voltage adjust (there isn't facility to do that)

2. also, on the link software i have the ability to choose multi rail (default), or single rail - does my cable choice above influence what i should choose ? i haven't tried gaming yet, pending answers, as i don't want to cause a problem if the card needs a different arrangement of the power leads

1. I suspect you could "get away" using one of the pig-tail cables, but I recommend using two cables to avoid possible issues. Given the GPU has two (and one is 8-pin) rather than one power connection to me it's sensible to use two into the PSU as the limiting factor is the current the connector pins support. I use 8 x PCIe cables on my system :eek:.
  2. I recommend multi-rail as the current limit if per PCIe output, lower and therefore will trip sooner if there is a hardware issue.

thanks red-ray

given the plumbing job, i'll leave it alone tonight and limit any gaming to solitaire :p:

i wasn't sure if the cables made a difference, as they share the same source ultimately, but the current in two cables will obviously be less stressful than half that total wire only being available

still haven't got my head around multi versus single rail, but now i have an option, the nerd in me will demand understanding - same impulse that had me discover that the winbond chips on my first ever ddr (corsair cmx256) could make my t'bird fly :D:

Archived