Corsair Community

64GB DDR4 (3466mhz) is the active fan required?

Lectere

Today I've received my Corsair 64GB DDR4 3466MHz (CMD64GX4M4B3466C16) , and I'm planning to do non/light overclocking.

I must say I did not expect there to be a active fan with my memory. And I must say I am somewhat displeased on how it's attached above the memory. It is not really fixed in a solid way. And I actually rather not attach the active fan.

I also must add, my CPU and GPU are going to be water cooled, and there is a lot of air flow in my case.

But the question is: Is this active fan required with non/light overclocking?

Thanks!

IMG_20170128_091824.thumb.jpg.a9a170864df8b6a3cfb4b7139a8595ec.jpg

I suspect for a definitive answer you need to ask via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp

You should add your PC specs to your profile so we know what the rest of the system is.

Do those DIMMs report their temperature and if so what is it with the fans running, does it rise very quickly when you stop the fans and how hot do they get?

Rest of the system;

-case: phanteks enthoo evolv

-i7-7700k

-Asus Z270E (water cooled with a kraken x31)

-Seasonic Prime 650W 80+ titanium

-Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB

-MSI 1080 (water cooled with a kraken x61)

Thanks for the tip, I'll contact support!

No, you don't need them at 1.35 volts or thereabouts. The fans are meant to be an extra bonus for most people, but have lost their cachet with voltage drop on DDR4. If it were required than every person running 4 slots at 2800+ would need a fan and theoretically the tall Dominator module has better heat dissipation than the standard stick. As for any reduced airflow from going full water, it is likely offset by your very low case ambient temperature.

That is a close fit, although it brings up a couple of other issues.

In your photo, the X61 fans are set to bring air into the case. This is not the preferred method, unless you are forced to do by case layout. One of the biggest advantages to a full water system is you can dump all of your CPU and GPU heat directly out of the case. This eliminates nearly all of your typical contained heat. I am running in a similar fashion now and my internal temp sensors might go up 1C over a multi-hour load period. I can't think of any reason you would want to intake air in from the top in this scenario. Where is the X31? I am assuming in the rear slot as exhaust.

In a related point, your listing above has the 7700K on the X31 and the 1080 on the 280mm X61. This is the opposite of what most people do. Now, you can make a rational argument the 1080 is a the higher watt entity and has a higher up time (for gaming) than the CPU. That does make sense, however I would be interested in knowing what kind of temps you get with each. I don't have a lot of data on the 7700K yet, but it seems to voltage limited like most other CPUs, rather than cooler limited.

You can see what I am doing from my profile drop down. The H110 is in the top as exhaust and handles the 5930K (4.5 and 4.0 cache - about 205 watts at full draw). The Titan is cooled by a tiny 120mm radiator and buzzy pump that turns about a zillion cycles per minute. That is in the rear exhaust slot. With the fan running at the minimum 800, I can't get past 50C with a max 120% load (no over-volting). With the fan at more aggressive 1500 rpm, I won't go past 42C or so on my heaviest games. I had considered moving my old H110 to the GPU and going dual 280's for both in another case. However, I at the moment I don't feel the need to reduce GPU temps any further. They are already 40C lower than they were on air with the reference block.

No matter which hardware gets the 280mm and regardless if the X31 is in the front panel or rear, you likely want to flip those fans around to dump the heat directly out of the case.

Archived