Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance Red LED Light Issues

Digidy

Hi

I recently built a new Kaby Lake build and purchased the following memory, mainly for the aesthetics.

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LED, PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, Red LED, XMP 2.0, 1.35V

The problem is that the LED's are no longer doing what they are supposed to (they have been fine for 2 weeks). The LEDs come on immediately when first switching on they will fade in and out as normal they stay on up until i log into windows, as soon as i put my password in and login to windows they switch off totally. I installed Corsair Link to see if this would kick them into life but it only kicks one into life (in A1 slot). I have swapped them around and the same slot powers up (with Corsair Link).

Is there anything i can do (apart from reinstalling windows) to fix this, Is this a Windows issue causing them to switch off. Hopefully it is a quick fix.

Thanks

First you should add your PC specs to your profile as without these I can't sensibly comment, for openers I need to know which motherboard you have.

Attach screen shots of the CL4 [home] tab + LED configuration panel.

I doubt reinstalling Windows will help as many have issues with these LEDs such as http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165234 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160382

I have never known Corsair provide a quick fix, in fact many issues have not been fixed over two years after they were reported with examples being http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134621 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137364.

I can now see you have a Z270 chipset, am rather surprised CL 4.3.0.154 interacts with the LEDs at all and am intrigued to see what CL4 reports.

I would be able to comment further if you posted the SIV screen shots from your system as are attached to http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=888077 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=888127. Ideally use SIV 5.16 Beta-03 or later which has further improved Z270 motherboard support.

BTW which W10 release do you have? Include the build number in your PC specs.

I had the same issue. I installed Windows 7 and was installing various drivers and bundled software to see what I'd keep. RAM LED was working fine and then all a sudden I couldn't control 1 stick. My options were have one working or turn both off.

I just reformatted and both are working again. I'll play close attention as I'm installing drivers/software in case it stops working again and I can determine why.

Have ASUS Z270E and a 6700K btw.

OK I haven't installed CL yet but I installed ASUS Aura V1.04.21 (the software that controls the lights on the motherboard). After I restarted the RAM LEDs shut off as Windows logged in. Restarting they would stay off. Shutting down they would work again when I turned the PC on, but would shut off again when Windows logged in.

I uninstalled Aura and the RAM LEDs work again. I installed an old version of Aura (V1.04.09) and that seems to work fine and doesn't effect the RAM LEDs.

So if you have ASUS Aura software installed, check which version since the newest one seems to conflict with the RAM LEDs.

I installed CL afterwards and it didn't break the RAM LEDs. So it seems for my case at least the Aura software was the issue.

So it seems for my case at least the Aura software was the issue.

Last time I checked ALL ASUS software fails to use the standard mutexes that CL4 et al use to interlock access to the SMBus, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037

If you choose to use ASUS software and any other monitoring software you are asking for issues.

I can just set the AIO and RAM LED settings then close CL and disable it from starting with Windows, it seems to remember the settings. I'd do this anyway since it detects weird spikes in CPU temp which cause the fans to ramp up and make a lot of noise for a few seconds whenever you do anything that utilises the CPU. Closing CL stops this from happening.

If you choose to use ASUS software and any other monitoring software you are asking for issues.

I'd do this anyway since it detects weird spikes in CPU temp which cause the fans to ramp up and make a lot of noise for a few seconds whenever you do anything that utilises the CPU. Closing CL stops this from happening.

You don't really seem to understand it's the ASUS software that causes the issues. Closing CL4 simply hides them.

I understand that. The only way I can control my mobo lights is with the ASUS software though (AFAIK at least) so I'm sort of stuck with it. The older version seems to play nice though and doesn't cause problems no matter if CL is installed or not. Since RAM LEDs work with the old version of ASUS software, and I can control the AIO and RAM LEDs through CL, but I can avoid the issues of fan spiking by closing the app, I'll do that. It's not ideal because being able to control the fan speeds with CL would be handy, but I can use other software to do that which isn't effected by the ASUS software instead.

Rolling back to Aura V1.04.09 has fixed the RAM LED issue. The only other issue I had was that CL4 doesn't see the 7700K CPU temps so I am unable to use it anyway. I have a Corsair H115i but I now have it plugged directly into the mobo with AI Suite Fan Xpert 4 controlling the pump and fans.

Thanks for your time!

I understand that.

but I can use other software to do that which isn't effected by the ASUS software instead.

I suspect you think you do, but I have my doubts.

You should specify which other software as I expect ALL none ASUS monitoring software will have issues running at the same time as the ASUS software.

I also suspect you think there are not issues when there are.

At the moment only ASUS Aura and CL is installed. I'll install more monitoring programs (AIDA64, Afterburner, a few others) and see if anything changes. However I had these and more running when I was overclocking. The old version of Aura and latest CL were installed at this time, as well as other ASUS monitoring/overclocking programs which I've ditched.

The ASUS monitoring program was giving me some different CPU temps. All the other programs reported what I think were correct values though.

If ASUS Aura only effects mobo lights, does that mean any potential issues it introduces would have to do with other lights (i.e. the RAM LEDs as I experienced with the old version)? Or will it lead to other info (CPU temp, fans etc.) being reported wrong by other software (even though Aura doesn't monitor these)? I guess I should test this by running a stress test and looking at reported numbers with and without Aura installed to see if it's doing anything.

@ Digidy maybe ditch AISuite and use something else if ASUS software causes issues. There's no alternative to Aura for changing mobo lights, but all their other software has alternatives.

At the end of the day I need Aura and like to use other monitoring programs as well. I don't need CL running so I can disable it from doing so. If all this does is hide potential problems, well that's good enough isn't it?

• 3 weeks later...
Rolling back to Aura V1.04.09 has fixed the RAM LED issue.

I had the exact same behavior you originally described, with almost the identical hardware. Confirming that rolling back to the previous Aura version does fix the LED behavior.

Thanks!

Archived