Corsair Community

780T Molex & Fan Mounts

MagnusOpium

Hey folks, just put my new build together in a 780T and noticed among the assortment of cables from the front panel is a molex cable. I don't think I've ever seen one attached to a case before, and between MOBO headers and fan control connectors, I'm more than catered for in terms of powering case fans, so I wonder if anyone could tell me what the included molex cable is intended for?

Also, a couple of questions about fan mount options: the front has holes marked as 200, but the manual doesn't list 200mm fans as being able to fit, so was this just an oversight or are these holes for something else? And should top-mounted fans be placed inside the case (IE directly above MOBO) or between case and mesh panel thing?

As in the power button and fan control button lights? They're lit up anyway without the molex connected to anything, as are the two front fans...

Also, any idea what the black boxy thing underneath the HDD cages is? Is it just a stand for the cages or does it have a function of it's own?

The molex is there to power the LED that lives in the triangular section just above the top 5.25" bay, I think it may also be used for the fan controller. I don't know, I didn't hook mine up. The boxy plastic thing under the HDD cages is just a stand, you can hang the drive cages from the optical cage if you want to use the bottom fan mounts. As for the top fans, it's probably easier to mount them between the case & the fan filter.

Ah ok thanks, I actually forgot all about that front LED but I've plugged it in now and it looks so purdy!

That's what I thought should be the case with the top fans, that they should go between frame and filter, but the reason I asked is that I simply couldn't instal a fan like that, as the screws are too small to get any purchase on the case's holes, so there'd be nothing to stop it moving around. I don't know if I'm missing something or if this is a design oversight... Personally I can't really think of any reason why the holes in the case should be so much bigger than the holes in the fans....

• Corsair Employee

Also, a couple of questions about fan mount options: the front has holes marked as 200, but the manual doesn't list 200mm fans as being able to fit, so was this just an oversight or are these holes for something else? And should top-mounted fans be placed inside the case (IE directly above MOBO) or between case and mesh panel thing?

Sorry, but the 780T does not support 200mm fan in the front. It'll do 3 x 120 or 2 x 140.

Sorry, but the 780T does not support 200mm fan in the front. It'll do 3 x 120 or 2 x 140.

That's ok, I don't actually WANT to put a 200mm fan in, I just noticed the holes marked "200" and wondered...

I do have a question or two about Corsair fans though, but should I ask that in the cooling section?

Ok well, firstly I noticed while in my local PC World that the fans with the coloured rings around the edge have rubber in the corners to absorb vibration and reduce noise (I have a fan of another make that does this, and the result is very quiet operation, unfortunately that fan doesn't come close to matching my colour scheme), however the LED versions do not have this rubber (despite also being labeled as "quiet edition"), so if I want the LED fans am I going to just have to put up with more noise or is this counteracted some other way (as I said, they ARE labeled as "quiet edition")? Do corsair sell the rubber corners seperately that I can buy and attach? Do they come with those rubber pin things you can use instead of screws to reduce noise further as the aforementioned other-brand fan did?

Also, are the fans included with the 780T (2x 140mm LED and 1x 140mm plain) from the AF or SP lines, or are they just basic, generic fans?

1) No, you can't buy the rubber corners and they are integrated into the construction on AF 140 models. Frankly, the real benefit is they add mass to frame. However, there are solutions for the LED or any other fan model lacking them. The better choice may depend upon the mounting surface.

• Rubber gaskets. Usually 1-2mm thick in a 120 or 140mm square. Typically $2-3 (USD) and available through specialty stores. Possibly the better choice for radiators to keep a tight seal.

• Your simple 25 cent rubber washer from the hardware store. Easily attainable and works with odd shaped fans. It will still decouple the fan frame from the chassis and is just as effective as the gasket in all but the most atrocious fans. In unusual circumstances, you might get some air noise coming around the frame.

• There are rubber plugs that can go in between the frame edges in a similar fashion, however in my experience this is inferior for addressing the problem unless the motor vibration is substantial. You could probably go a step further and add lead tape or something similar to add mass to the frame, but even I am not that picky and would likely move on if I had a fan that troublesome.

2) I must have about 30 140mm Corsair fans in all flavors. Only at the absolute maximum 1000 rpm speed can I tell an LED 140mm from AF140 and it requires a fair amount of concentration. Every case and relative location creates a different acoustic environment, so it is possible a standard 140 LED may create a displeasing tone in your scenario. Most of the time the washers or gasket will be able to alter the sound by reducing vibration transmitted into the chassis and additionally moving the fan blades 1-2mm away. Sometimes the perceived vibration is actually in part air noise through a grill or other enclosure.

3) The 140mm LED fans in the front will be nearly identical to retail LED version. Some of the models have a very slight rpm bump (50) over the standard fan. They also will lack a Corsair sticker on the front hub. Otherwise, construction is identical and they are indiscernible from each other. Absolutely no reason to change those for the retail version. The grey 140mm in back with be of the same construction as the LED models - plastic frame but non-LED. No decorative elements, but it does have the same blade structure as all the 140mm fans. Technically, it makes less noise than the LED version as it will lack the very faint hum common to all LED fans. However, you would need to put your ear against the case to hear the difference.

Another possibility for decorative purposes is to paint the detachable ring on the retail AF 140. You get three in a box - red, blue, white. This is a very common modification and quick image search will bring back dozens of color variations. With three rings in the box, you can experiment without fear of ruining the whole thing.

• 1 year later...

Archived