Corsair Community

Making the 500D (More) Air Tight - Rubber Piping?

mrpetrov

We have two cats in the house, so a fair amount of cat fur despite cleaning regularly.

I'd like to make my 500D RGB more air tight to prevent fur getting in - while the grill mesh does a good job, there are still huge gaps around the sides of the doors.

I was thinking of adding some rubber piping around the doors to close that gap which, hopefully, would have at least two benefits: 1. reducing cat fur intake and 2. improving air flow quality in the case.

Has anyone tried this or something similar?

Thanks!

Have you looked at configuring your system to ensure that it has positive pressure? This would help keep the system clean; the additional air would escape through the gaps and prevent dust/fur/gunk from getting in.

If you are getting a lot of cat hair, you likely have negative pressure so air is sucked in through the gaps. Even if you seal up the doors, you still have vents on other places.

Have you looked at configuring your system to ensure that it has positive pressure? This would help keep the system clean; the additional air would escape through the gaps and prevent dust/fur/gunk from getting in.

If you are getting a lot of cat hair, you likely have negative pressure so air is sucked in through the gaps. Even if you seal up the doors, you still have vents on other places.

Hi DB. I've certainly seen a fair bit about positive pressure but I'm not actually sure how to measure it or setup for it. I have:

- 3x120ML PRO fans (from the H150i) sucking air into the radiator at the front facing outwards

- 3x120ML PRO RGB fans pushing air into the case from the radiator facing inwards (ie a push/pull confi)

- 3x 120LL RGB fans exhausting air through the top (2) and rear (1)

All 9 fans' curves are linked to the H150i through iCUE.

Given I have 3 different types of fans, can I still just rely on RPM to determine if I have positive air pressure? Also, how do you think about the fact that the 6 radiator fans are essentially "doubling up" (ie doing the same thing)?

Or is there an easier way to test for positive air pressure by, say, hanging a piece of paper inside the case and seeing how it sways? As you can see, I'm totally lost...:)

Hi DB. I've certainly seen a fair bit about positive pressure but I'm not actually sure how to measure it or setup for it. I have:

- 3x120ML PRO fans (from the H150i) sucking air into the radiator at the front facing outwards

- 3x120ML PRO RGB fans pushing air into the case from the radiator facing inwards (ie a push/pull confi)

- 3x120LL RGB fans exhausting air through the top (2) and rear (1)

All 9 fans' curves are linked to the H150i through iCUE.

Given I have 3 different types of fans, can I still just rely on RPM to determine if I have positive air pressure? Also, how do you think about the fact that the 6 radiator fans are essentially "doubling up" (ie doing the same thing)?

Or is there an easier way to test for positive air pressure by, say, hanging a piece of paper inside the case and seeing how it sways? As you can see, I'm totally lost...:)

Probably the easiest way to test for positive pressure is to use a couple of incense sticks and hold them near the gaps/grates/etc. The smoke will tell you if it's being sucked in or pushed out.

Personally, I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. While I have a different case, with my fan filters, I get very little dust and no fur at all inside my case.

Probably the easiest way to test for positive pressure is to use a couple of incense sticks and hold them near the gaps/grates/etc. The smoke will tell you if it's being sucked in or pushed out.

Personally, I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. While I have a different case, with my fan filters, I get very little dust and no fur at all inside my case.

Ah, incense sticks, I will try that out - thanks! At least if I have negative pressure my components will smell great, or like a spa at least..;)

Archived