Corsair Community

GS600 (2013) - Noise complaints, RMA Advice

ugnius40

Hi,

I have GS600 PSU (2013), Which I bought in Currys/PC World UK, it was a couple of years ago, but I think I lost my receipt, I'd need advice - have I got any options to RMA it, but that's on a side.

The main problem, it makes a strange constant (I mean - the time between two ticks is very constant, and the ticks close together) ticking noise. I thought it's one of my computer fans is catching a wire, it reminds me of a working motor or something.

WoT Warning, but bear with me:

Today I wanted to get to the bottom of this. I noticed:

When my computer's just booted there's no clicking sound, the computer is near silent - PSU fan not spinning.

When I put some load on it - open a couple of apps - PSU starts emitting this weird ticking noise - PSU fan is not spinning.

When the load is higher (I start a game which uses GPU, or if I start CPU intensive task) - PSU fan kicks in intermittently - as soon as it starts to spin - ticking noise disappears. But I can hear the fan spinning up pretty loudly. soon after - the fan spins down, and again I can hear ticking noise.

I've reassembled my computer in a new sound dampened case with silent fans - but this constant - spin up - spin down - ticking noise is overbearing and is getting on my nerves.

TL-DR: PSU is in a cycle - Fan Spin Up/Spin Down/Ticking noise - when under load.

Any advice what are my options, besides throwing this PSU out of the window? I'd like to RMA it, but I would be very lucky if I found my receipt for the purchase, and warranty did not yet end.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've found the receipt. It's dated 15/08/2013, and it looks like I just missed out on warranty, which supposed to be 3 years. Sod's law. I'm thinking of buying new unit now, something with at least 5 years warranty.

I've found people on these forums, having similar problems with GS series PSU's. Something to do with faulty fan controller.

Thanks for reading this.

Hope I did not sound like a raving lunatic this time :p

Archived