Corsair Community

iCUE Windows Focus Issue

Good afternoon,

I have been having issues with my PC losing focus in games and have narrowed the issue down to the iCUE software. This is extremely annoying and am asking when an update to correct this nuisance will be released. I have done a complete uninstall of any and all iCue software components, cleaned the registry. Once I perform a clean install the latest version of iCUE the issue presents itself. All drivers are current and up to date for my system.

System Information:

Windows 10 Professional

AMD 8320 FX

16GB Ram

Corsair K95 Platinum Keyboard

Corsair MM800 RGB Polaris

Corsair ST100 RGB

Corsair Void Pro Wireless RGB

(All Corsair Products have been updated to latest firmware versions)

The following is information to reproduce the issue.

1. iCue Software version 3.11.114 installed

2. Load any game application (Warframe, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, DCS World)

3. Windows will randomly change focus to the desktop at random intervals

Following solution to prevent issue.

1. Shut down iCUE software.

2. Load any game application.

3. Game applications stay in the foreground, Windows does not pull desktop to active focus.

This is a serious issue that needs an update to fix.

I await your response.

This isn’t something commonly reported and certainly not as a persistent condition. Microsoft has certainly taken a few liberties with meaning of exclusive full screen, but you may want to check your focus assist settings. Nothing entirely intuitive about the current arrangement. The other thing likely to help is closing the iCUE app before launching a full screen application. You don’t need to kill it in the task manager or quit the services — just X it out to the task bar drop down. It will still log data in background without using GPU resources to render the graphs or present itself as a competing program to the OS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

I don't get this problem on my secret at my desk gaming computer.

But I have seen this problem before because of weird resolution interactions.

Here's a few out there solutions regarding preventing focus theft: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-prevent-programs-from-stealing-focus-in-windows-2624453

We can certainly forward the issue to our dev teams but it's hard to really fix something we can't replicate. Is it like.... ok, can you provide a video of it? That way we can get a handle on how exactly it's presenting and maybe figure out why this specific issue is happening to you.

• 1 year later...
I was wondering what on earth kept stealing my focus. I'm not sure what you expect to see in a video. Nothing visually changes in a game. Just all of a sudden keyboard input doesn't work. Never happened with the Link software. Guess I should just go back to that. I was using that up until my recent reinstall of Windows. Thought I'd go with the latest Corsair software this time, as I never did install iCue when it came out. But yeah, it is useless if it keeps stealing focus. It isn't only games. I can be typing in a FB or gmail browser window and all of a sudden my keystrokes are doing nothing. I have to click on the window to give it focus again. Beyond annoying. I don't even understand why any app would need to take focus. My computer. Let me dictate what has focus.

I was wondering what on earth kept stealing my focus. I'm not sure what you expect to see in a video. Nothing visually changes in a game. Just all of a sudden keyboard input doesn't work. Never happened with the Link software. Guess I should just go back to that. I was using that up until my recent reinstall of Windows. Thought I'd go with the latest Corsair software this time, as I never did install iCue when it came out. But yeah, it is useless if it keeps stealing focus. It isn't only games. I can be typing in a FB or gmail browser window and all of a sudden my keystrokes are doing nothing. I have to click on the window to give it focus again. Beyond annoying. I don't even understand why any app would need to take focus. My computer. Let me dictate what has focus.

Am I missing something here or do you simply have a keyboard/USB issue that has absolutely nothing to do with the original thread created in February 2019?

• 1 month later...
Am I missing something here or do you simply have a keyboard/USB issue that has absolutely nothing to do with the original thread created in February 2019?

Doesn't happen before installing iCue. Happens immediately upon installing iCue. Exactly the same thing as the OP. Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

Edited by _Shorty

• 3 weeks later...
I am having the same problem, just started this weekend. I have been scouring the internet trying to figure out what the h3ll is going on. And it turns out it’s iCUE. Did they do a recent update or patch, because I can not find it listed in software anyware. Really po’d right now.

• 8 months later...

Here we are in 2021, this is a clear cut and dry issue and yet no solution from Corsair regarding this. ITS STILL HAPPENING!!!! It's pretty simple guys, if you kill the software the issue doesn't happen. This means it's YOUR software causing this, and others have confirmed my findings. Look into it, this not only affects games, but also affects MS Office, Web browsing, or anything in general. Asking for a video of it would theorize that this happens at a specific interval, it doesn't. Patch your software, that's what you write.

I have RGB Ram, Fans, and a mouse pad that requires your software to function.

Build your own testing rig and fix this!

Respectfully

• 4 months later...

I'm having this same issue with iCue - playing Rocket League in borderless fullscreen (if that's relevant) with a controller, not using the keyboard or mouse, and suddenly the game no longer has focus. Install iCue, focus stealing. Remove iCue, no more focus stealing.

This really needs to be fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

I presume that since there hasn't been a rely from Corsair on this, and that not only I but several others have confirmed this to be an issue, Corsair doesn't give a S*it so long as we continue to buy their products.

IT's now 4 years later, several iCue versions later and your software is still doing the same damn thing. At this point, I'm going to rip out all Corsair products I have and replace them with reliable ones that don't require your damn iCrap software. You have become incompetent and complacent. NONE OF YOUR DEVS apparently knows how to stop this, and the larger message you send as a company to your consumers is you don't give a ****.

So long Corsair, no wonder Logitech and Razer beat you hands down. Their software actually works, and they have technical support who listens.

Guys, chill! Just because Corsair haven't replied much, doesn't mean they don't know it and won't fix it, read what the corsair employee wrote ^^...

On a second hand, just because it fixes when you kill iCUE doesn't mean the fault is in iCUE!! Since iCUE is using sensors and what not in the PC, it can seem it's iCUE which is the problem, but it doesn't need to be! it can be so MANY OTHER things than iCUE. Let's say iCUE is trying to read CPU temp. sensor and that sensors hangs, that could make iCUE act odd, but in that case it wouldn't be a problem within iCUE. (just an example)..

I know I'll get some hits for this post, but it is what it is..

Also, did any of you even make a support case? or did you just come here and post in hope something will happen? ... well, if that's the case, no no no, make a damn support case! This is a community forum, not really a support forum even tho Corsair does a good job on replying in here.

So, check your windows, it's properly there the problem is somewhere and not in iCUE...

Well, when there's a bug between a program and a thrash program, usually the thrash one is at fault sooo.. that's that :)

But it doesn't happen for everybody so it's a weird one, and it's not in the users forums that it will get solved.

As you said > Support ticket, and then the devs may ask for logs, and other relevant details to try to fix it.

That said, iCUE 3 won't be fixed, so update first (if your hardware is not on the list of abandoned support) then start from here.