Corsair Community

How to plug in my H150i Pro?

LeKrang

Hi,

I am getting my H150i pro and motherboard in today, so going to be building tonight.

I find it a bit confusing looking at the manuals, mostly on the motherboard side.

Here is what I mean:

LfqRSZy.png

https://i.imgur.com/LfqRSZy.png

CPU_OPT is described as (Water Cooling CPU Fan Header)

SYS_FAN6_PUMP & SYS_FAN5_PUMP are described as (System Fan/Water Cooling Pump Headers)

Then there is the usual CPU_FAN header.

Where should I plug the PUMP Tach Cable and the corsair link usb cable?

Also, I am assuming the 3 fans connect to a 3 to 1 cable that is then plugged into a fan header.

I think I need to plug the 3 fans to 1 header to the CPU_OPT.

Then the PUMP Tach cable to either sys_fan_5_pump or sys_fan6_pump

Then the corair link cable to any F_USB header?

Is this correct?

Please help!:bigeyes:

The motherboard fan header on the H150i doesn't really do anything besides report a pump speed to the BIOS, something you get from the iCUE/Link software as well. The somewhat disguised secondary function is as a warning if the pump should fail. Something has to be on CPU fan to boot. You can disable it, but then you are also disabling the emergency warning and you won't get it on other headers. Typically CPU fan makes for a lousy case fan header, so it is usually best to put the AIO cooler lead there, then use other board headers for the case fans.

The motherboard fan header on the H150i doesn't really do anything besides report a pump speed to the BIOS, something you get from the iCUE/Link software as well. The somewhat disguised secondary function is as a warning if the pump should fail. Something has to be on CPU fan to boot. You can disable it, but then you are also disabling the emergency warning and you won't get it on other headers. Typically CPU fan makes for a lousy case fan header, so it is usually best to put the AIO cooler lead there, then use other board headers for the case fans.

This is why I am a bit confused.

CPU_OPT is also described as a CPU fan header just with watercooling added in the name (Water Cooling CPU Fan Header) with no specifications in the manual on what more it does.. I assume this will also warn me if something goes wrong. Also, aren't fans on the AIO basically just that, case fans installed on a rad? (I am also replacing the standard ones with LL 120 fans) So I don't get the statement that they make lousy case fan headers? Sorry, this is my first build with an AIO, usually it is much more simple...

At the same time, my other ports are listed as Case Fan / Pump headers, so I assume they will be the ones actually reporting if the pump fails. no?

Thank you for your time btw, it is appreciated, I am kind of confused about all of this.

CPU_OPT is also described as a CPU fan header just with watercooling added in the name (Water Cooling CPU Fan Header) with no specifications in the manual on what more it does.. I assume this will also warn me if something goes wrong. Also, aren't fans on the AIO basically just that, case fans installed on a rad? (I am also replacing the standard ones with LL 120 fans) So I don't get the statement that they make lousy case fan headers? Sorry, this is my first build with an AIO, usually it is much more simple...

At the same time, my other ports are listed as Case Fan / Pump headers, so I assume they will be the ones actually reporting if the pump fails. no?

Thank you for your time btw, it is appreciated, I am kind of confused about all of this.

Having just completed my first AIO build myself a week or so ago, it might be beneficial if you check out the "Liquid Cooler FAQ' and "AIO Liquid CPU Cooler: Proper way to power your pump" sticky's at the top of the main 'Cooling' thread;

-> Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling > Liquid Cooler FAQ

and

-> The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling > AIO Liquid CPU Cooler: Proper way to power your pump

Apologies as I don't have posting right as of yet to post direct links.

As far as headers, you want to use the CPU_FAN header for your AIO. I'm not sure about your Aorus board, but if it's anything like ASUS, the majority of those fan header have fancy names for marketing purposes and come loaded with predefined fan curves in BIOS which you will most likely change anyway.

Good luck with the build!

/QUOTE]

As suggested above, read through the FAQ at the top of cooling section. More detail there than I can reproduce.

1) The marketing people have overrun header naming. My Asus boards have AIO and W_PUMP headers. Do you know what they are? Chassis fan headers with a new name, except they have less control options that they did when they were a chassis fan header. Now it defaults to full speed and CPU temp only control. I don't know the GA boards as well. I believe on those you can use CPU_OPT as an individual header (not on Asus), but the problem has not changed. If you don't have something on CPU fan, you will not be allowed to boot into Windows until you figure out how to disable the safety. The BIOS level CPU fan error is unmistakable and in your face. That's not the same as booting into windows then experiencing a hard shutdown 60 seconds later and not knowing why. Then you can boot into the BIOS because it is shutting down before you get there.

2) "Does not make a good chassis/case fan header" - > It means your only choice for a control variable is CPU temperature. This is the last thing you want in a water cooled system. Fan speeds will yo-yo all over the place and every time you open a browser, launch iTunes, open iCUE, not to mention actual load tasks. CPU fan is something of a wasted header unless you are using an air tower. Putting the cooler on this solves several issues.

3) You will not (can not) control the pump speed or radiator fan speed from the BIOS. That will happen from within the iCUE software. So again, save the fully functional headers for actual case fans.

No matter what, all of the header will work since the header does not supply power to the coolers. However, there is usually a preferable choice for one reason or another. Sometimes header location trumps all of this.

Ok, thank you for the clarification.

I actually went ahead and installed it last night.

I was under the assumption there was much more cables/headers involved.

I understand what you meant now.

I went ahead and plugged it into the CPU_FAN header. I will check the bios to make sure it is at 100% so it gets the full power then I can adjust with ICue.

Just waiting on my ram right now which should be coming in around lunch hour.

On the Pro and Platinum coolers it isn’t necessary to set the BIOS fan control to 100%. The power comes from the SATA line and the motherboard header cannot affect the pump speed. That said, I always do it anyway, mostly out of habit.

Archived