Corsair Community

Corsair Links: H100i GTX Detected, but no fan control (+ other issues)

ansky26

I just completely overhauled my Win 7 Pro system. New additions are an H100i GTX cooler and an RM650i PSU.

I installed Link. All of my cooling hardware shows up, and I did the driver update so I see the 7289 device. The cooler fans are spinning at a low-ish speed, but the Link device for them shows flashing red, 0 rpm. No settings in config have any effect. The fact that the fans spin tell me they are getting power so the connectors to the Link cable seem fine. I have no idea what is wrong. I get pump speed and LED control...but no fan interaction. Temps put the cooler at around 35C and the processor around 60C, which is too high for idle.

Smaller concerns with my Link setup are that I have no fine control over the PSU fan---I get "Default Mode" and "Fixed %". I figured I would get custom curves for that.

Also, all the tutorials I watched online showed linking LEDs to various sensors, but the only group I can put the H100i GTX LED into is...the cooler temperature. And there I only get to set a two color spread with a single "High Temperature." Other tutorials showed cross device LED pairing and three point color gradients.

What am I missing? Why are these functions missing? The cooler fan control, though, is the big issue.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Have you set the group for the cooler fans? Post a CL screen shot of what you have setup for the H100iGTX Cooler Fan.

CL3 does not implement Custom Curves for PSUs, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=813546 and http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=816945.

The H100iGTX LED is far more limited in what is possible than the earlier H100i + H80i, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=795392

Have you set the group for the cooler fans? Post a CL screen shot of what you have setup for the H100i GTX Cooler Fan.p=795392[/url]

Screenshot attached. Fans (only one shows, but I assume they are supposed to be controlled together) are in the Cooler group.

So, the more I read around, the more I realize I am kind of screwed with the H100i GTX. *sigh* I want to put a custom curve on the GPU fan, but I can't in Link, and I've read elsewhere that Link doesn't play well with EVGA Precision X. Is that a true statement?

red-ray, is SIV a replacement for Link? Should I be using that instead to get back some of the control I expected but don't seem to have with Link?

Alternately, is there any benefit to attaching the cooler fans directly to the mobo as chassis fans, rather than connecting them to the H100i GTX cable directly?

Also, I am really worried about 60C idle temps on the CPU. I am pretty sure my water block is tight on the CPU, but I didn't crank it way down as I didn't want to risk mobo damage. Should I be tightening it more? Should I replace the pre-applied thermal compound with something better like Arctic Fox? I have hopes of o/c'ing this system, and that ain't gonna happen with the temps I am seeing now.

Thanks.

clink.thumb.png.2f4e3f102351833322d443ddf8ae8976.png

Screenshot attached. Fans (only one shows, but I assume they are supposed to be controlled together) are in the Cooler group.

The H100iGTX only has one fan controller and only one RPM get's reported. Try swapping the fan connections and see if CL reports a none zero RPM.

I feel the H110iGT is far better than both the Asetek based H110iGTX + H100iGTX and feel Corsair would be wise to release the CoolIT based H100iGT.

I have not heard of any issue about "Link doesn't play well with EVGA Precision X" and can't see why there would be an issue.

If you choose to use SIV to control your CL hardware you must not have CL active. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=803961 and http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137428.

I feel 60°C idle temps on the CPU is far too high so I suspect there may be poor thermal contact, but I have never used an Athlon X4 860K so can't be sure. I know that some AMD CPUs report a garbage core/package temperature.

I feel the H110iGT is far better than both the H110iGTX and H100iGTX and feel Corsair would be wise to release the CoolIT based H100iGT.

Yeah, well, if I could fit 140mm fans... :sigh!:

I will try swapping cables, then disabling CL and using SIV. As for Precision X, I installed it, but I was getting weird EVGA Precision X text overlays on CL whenever I right-click on the dashboard. It may not have any functional conflicts, but at the UI level they certainly seem not to like each other. But if it is only cosmetic, I will keep Precision X to get the fan and o/c control on the GPU.

Thanks.

Yeah, well, if I could fit 140mm fans... :sigh!:

Hence the H100iGT. There are still the CoolIT H100i on eBay but they are rather expensive, see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141433991963.

I was getting weird EVGA Precision X text overlays on CL whenever I right-click on the dashboard.

Assuming it was behind CL that sounds like a bug in EVGA Precision X to me. What happens if you minimise EVGA Precision X?

Assuming it was behind CL that sounds line a bug in EVGA Precision X to me. What happens if you minimise EVGA Precision X?

EVGA P X was minimized when I saw this happening. And when it had last been unminimized it was in a different screen location (different monitor, actually) not overlapping with CL.

Do you only get the effect when EVGA P X is minimized?

Not sure, but probably not relevant at this point because I disabled CL and installed SIV. I also got some interesting results. (If it's important I will fire CL back up and try to grab a screenshot of the visual interference.)

First, I rebooted into BIOS for some tweaking and noticed that BIOS reported the CPU temp at around 35C, not the 60C CL was claiming. I see the same thing when I look at SIV (screenshot attached). (By the way, does that 12C temp on the cores seem right? That seems shockingly low...)

Also, SIV does not see any speed on the radiator fans, just like CL. On the other hand, when I play with the fan speeds in SIV, the fans respond. So I can control them, I just can't see the feedback. I tried a couple fixed PWM settings and the fans spooled up and down perfectly, and also seemed to work correctly when I put some different custom points around the current temp.

I also noticed that SIV doesn't seem to like the LED on the H100i GTX. Not a biggie, but I really did want to peg that to CPU temp for some visual feedback, but that's minor.

Lastly, does SIV support voltage control on 3-pin fans? I was actually thinking about pulling the PWM fans on the radiator, solely because I want to add some LED fans which all seem to be 3-pin. (What can I say, it's kind of a show-piece build.) I checked the mobo manual, and the Asus definitely supports DC voltage fan control if I set that option in BIOS.

Thanks!

siv.thumb.png.ab4cdfe6e4c69e8f54ee1006b7e308ed.png

1. By the way, does that 12C temp on the cores seem right?
  2. when I play with the fan speeds in SIV, the fans respond.
  3. SIV does not see any speed on the radiator fans, just like CL.
  4. CPU temp at around 35C, not the 60C CL was claiming.
  5. SIV doesn't seem to like the LED on the H100i GTX
  6. does SIV support voltage control on 3-pin fans?

I know that some AMD CPUs report a garbage core/package temperature.

1. As I said before some AMD CPUs report garbage and I guess yours does. I asked around and was told "I don't think it's possible the CPU diode is just faulty".
  2. Good
  3. Have you tried swapping the fans around? I suspect one of the fans may have a faulty tachometer.
  4. The highlighted 35.7 is the coolant temp. What does the Tool Tip say. Post [Cooling Status]. I expect I need to add support to SIV for your motherboard. If you would like to help me do this then generate the SIV save files and either post them or e-mail them to me. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=788225 for how to do this. I expect I will have a SIV 5.06 Beta for you to try a few hours later.
  5. SIV does not support Asetek LEDs and Corsair have declined to provide the information I need to add support.
  6. It's down to what the hardware supports and the H100iGTX only supports 4-pin PWM fans. If you wish to get SIV to control 3-pin fans you need to get a CL Mini. Both CL and SIV can also fully control the CL Mini LED.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23573&d=1449846334

1. [...]
  2. [...]
  3. Have you tried swapping the fans around? I suspect one of the fans may have a faulty tachometer.
  4. I expect I need to add support to SIV for your motherboard. If you would like to help me do this [...]
  5. [...]
  6. It's down to what the hardware supports and the H100iGTX only supports 4-pin PWM fans.

The case is a bit of an effort to open up, and I have some sleeved cable extensions on the way—I plan to play with fan connections sometime this weekend when I open it up to make other tweaks.

I will happily send you the save files and would be glad to test a beta.

If I put in 3-pin fans, I was intending to do it through the chassis fan points on the mobo, not through the H100iGTX. The chassis fan points are 4-pin, but there is a BIOS option to switch them from PWM mode to DC voltage mode. If I do that (DC mode and connect direct to mobo) would SIV be able to control them?

I may end up with the CL Mini, anyway, as I might add some LED strips.

Thanks!

OK, once I get the SIV save files I will update SIV.

Files e-mailed. I am attaching the cooling status screenshot. The CPUTIN shows a few degrees above the pump temp, which is what I hope we are looking for.

Unfortunately, if I read your other link right, what the Core temp shows is an offset from CPUTIN, so 38 deg at pump and 41 at the chipset plus 12--15 of core offset gets us right back to the mid 50s on the cores at idle, so...I still don't know what to make of this. *sigh*

siv-cool.thumb.png.468b19d170b6e664e7555cbe5c8dbc55.png

Thank you. Do Menu->File->Download->SIV Beta to get Beta-16 or later which has support for your motherboard. It expunges T3 -> TA as they are not implemented.

Assuming that SIV is correct CPUTIN of 39.0°C and cooler 39.2°C is good.

Looking at [Cooling Status] then H100iGTX Fan 1 was != zero 28,578 times rather than 34,463. It will be interisting (enlightening?) to see what happens when you do the swap.

Corsair, please will you tell us how to get CL to report the Average, Minimum and Maximum values for CL hardware?

attachment.php?attachmentid=23577&d=1449875010

I am pondering ""Hey, one problem at a time. If we solved everything at once, we'd be out of work." ---Agatha Heterodyne".

I feel the CL support staff have a "job for life" as several CL issues have been outstanding for > 1 year so far :(:. I suspect the firmware staff are especially safe (constrained?).

Archived