Corsair Community

Installing Force Firmware using Linux!

Eazy

Does Corsair have a DOS based firmware updater (which could be run under FreeDOS), or some kind of boot disk firmware updater?...

Just wanted to ask.

Guys..it's not really Corsair's firmware updater. It's SandForce's (correct me if I'm wrong RAM GUY).

Just use a Windows machine. Anybody who's running Linux should have dual boot or another Windows machine nearby for compatibility, how many programs out there don't run for Linux?:idea:

• Corsair Employee
Posted By Eazy

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post

I am sorry but this utility can only be ran in Windows, you can connect it as a second HDD and run the application from with in Windows.

Thats just terrible.

Synbios,

You are correct and I am sorry I do not expect any manufacturer to write software for open source O.S. (IE Linux) because they have to share their source code. Which would Violate their patten rights. So I am sorry but that is an unreasonable request.

Don't want to argue with you, but updating the firmware for any kind of hardware should not be OS dependent. Updating the BIOS on a motherboard or graphic card does not require a Windows environment and does not share any source code.

I do have problems with my disk (F60). Leaving Ktorrent on during night gives me Ext-fs error. This is on a Asus P7P55D motherboard. I do not own a Windows OS and therefore cannot update the firmware to perhaps fix this problem.

In my world I never imagine that a hard drive/ssd would be OS dependent...

Edit:

I dont believe a Intel SSD require a Windows OS to update the firmware. There is a iso to download which you boot from to update the firmware on a Intel SSD, but I could be wrong...

Synbios,

You are correct and I am sorry I do not expect any manufacturer to write software for open source O.S. (IE Linux) because they have to share their source code. Which would Violate their patten rights. So I am sorry but that is an unreasonable request.

What?! Dude, check your facts please. This comment of yours is wrong.

You are free to write proprietary software on top of the Linux kernel and many of the libraries that run on it if you wish. Many companies and independent software developers do it. For instance, Dell provides BIOS updates for many of its machines (not all though) in a binary form suitable to be run under Linux.

As for the request, an update program to run under DOS is how many vendors do these things and it's pretty much OK for people with Linux (or any other) operating systems installed since it's really easy these days to put FreeDOS in a USB stick along with the update program, boot and run it there.

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth I tried running the updater using Wine (version 1.3.6) and Ubuntu 10.10.

It would run the program and it would allow me to select the update package file but it did not see the drive.

Not trying to be combative here but OCZ has a great linux support forum and their products are much more linux friendly.

For what it's worth I tried running the updater using Wine (version 1.3.6) and Ubuntu 10.10.

It would run the program and it would allow me to select the update package file but it did not see the drive.

Not trying to be combative here but ******** has a great linux support forum and their products are much more linux friendly.

I am working on a solution for this but, it falls to us (me specifically) to make this happen as SandForce is not offering a Linux based tool for updating. I'll update ASAP.

I installed win7 on a spare hard drive I had lying around and tried to update, but the update tool didn't find my drive. I expect it didn't find the drive because it has a Linux partition on it. I only have one EXT4 partition on it.

I randomly get ext-fs error on it. It happens mostly if I leave Ktorrent on over the night or playing UT2004. I then have to shut down the computer from the power button. If I just press the reset button, the BIOS does not find the disk.

As I cant update to latest firmware, I don't know if updating the firmware will help, or if there is some other problem causing this.

Yeah most likely you can't update the disk because there is a partition on it, if you could somehow image the drive and then secure erase it, you should be able to update the firmware. It seems trivial but make sure you run as administrator in windows 7 too. Even if your account is "administrator", due to the way w7 functions it is still not the same.

Yeah most likely you can't update the disk because there is a partition on it, if you could somehow image the drive and then secure erase it, you should be able to update the firmware. It seems trivial but make sure you run as administrator in windows 7 too. Even if your account is "administrator", due to the way w7 functions it is still not the same.

Thanx for the tip about "run as administrator"!

Next time I try to update things, or do thing I never done before in Windows, I should read the manual. So note to self: RTFM.

I did not have to erase the drive at all. I did just run the update program and it updated the disk just fine (even though I had a EXT4 partition on it). I didn't even backup anything (I like to live dangerous... or just call me lazy ;))

Lets see if updating solves the problem I have...

Edit:

The new firmware seems to have solved the problem I have. I also compiled a newer kernel (2.6.36) to let me have automatic trim, and that also seems to work fine.

/me is a happy Eazy :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived