Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 at full speed?

digitalether

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same mobo and memory and I too suffer from this problem. Is this a RAM issue or is this a Vista x64 issue?

Bios reads 4GB of memory but Vista does not boot. As digital has said it will boot if you decrease the speed of the memory to 667mhz. Yes I have installed the vista update 92977...blah blah. Doesnt help.

Intels, so the problem is the mobo reducing the speed. Nothing wrong with the ram, its just the mem controler in North Bridge chip cant handle it. The newest intel chipset boards are dealing with it better. Also there is hope for amd's new cpu and boards. AMD and Intel new boards are DDRII1066 even. But again Im pretty sure 4dimms even in those would make you use ddrII 800.

The mobo does support 4Gb's of 800Mhz DDR2 and specifically refers to the afor mentioned model of corsair membory in its QVL. There is no evidence to support the chipset not being able to handle 4gigs of 800mhz memory. I feel the problem either lies with a faulty memory module or and perhaps more likely a problem with Vista not being able to boot.

Also if a chipset was to blame it would screw up or show invalid data during POST. But it does not. It can POST and it automatically detects the memory at 800mhz we have to manually set the speed to 667mhz to get vista to boot.

The mobo does support 4Gb's of 800Mhz DDR2 and specifically refers to the afor mentioned model of corsair membory in its QVL. There is no evidence to support the chipset not being able to handle 4gigs of 800mhz memory. I feel the problem either lies with a faulty memory module or and perhaps more likely a problem with Vista not being able to boot.

Also if a chipset was to blame it would screw up or show invalid data during POST. But it does not. It can POST and it automatically detects the memory at 800mhz we have to manually set the speed to 667mhz to get vista to boot.

I was able to get my system to boot and it runs fine...no lockups (Crysis + Audigy issues aside). I just want to run the RAM at the advertised speed.

IF you system can't boot at all, then try these settings:

Bios Settings:

SLI-Ready Memory = Disabled

Memory Voltage = 2.085

tCL = 4

tRCD = 4

tRP = 4

tRAS = 12

CMD = 2

Advanced Memory Timings

tRC = 22

tWTR = 15

All other settings = auto

OK this worked...I set the trc to 24 and then upped the NB voltage.

My computer is now working with all 4 mem modules in place, AND the mem is

running at 800mhz. I played 2 hours of crysis and 2 hours of GRAW2....then used my computer for 8 hours straight today...no issues at all.

Thanks so much for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same MB (P5N-E) and RAM (4GB of XMS2 PC6400 C4) as DigitalEther, but it's only seeing 3GB when I enter BIOS setup. I started with 2GB (yellow slots) and just added the other 2GB (black slots) last night. I've checked three times that the RAM is seated correctly. I have the aforementioned manual RAM timings set, but could that really affect what the BIOS even sees? I'm using XP Pro and it boots up fine, but only sees the 3GB that the BIOS sees.

DigitalEther, what is the exact voltage you ended up with for your NB?

Thanks any and all for your help.

TRC should be set to 24 and with 4 modules DDR667 would be suggested, but you might be able to get DDR800 with all four installed but I would set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts as well.

Hi I have the same memory/mobo and am about to add a 2 GB kit; I am curious how to drop the 800 down to 677 and what else I'd need to stay stable.:laughing:

Currently sometimes I get bios freezing right as the memory stats come on the bios load screen, with just the 2 GB in Dual channel. Games etc run fine; its only BOOT that gives me issues, besides the blue screen If I don't have the ram volts correct.

I ran memtest showing issues with both original sticks but that was without disabling legacy usb, of course I rma'ed those to newegg because I didn't know. :o:

Bought a new kit and and found settings that work once -in awhile, so when the rma stuff comes back I will try for 4 GB [ even though I know XP 32 bit will only see <3 GB.

p.s. "NB" is Northbridge, right, what's "MCH" voltage? Are they the same?

I'm at 1.2 for NB now, 1.37v for Vcore,2.085 for memory [closest to 2.1 available] And fsb cpu stuff to "unlinked". Shut off alll the cpu specific things except execute disable bit. Also turned off all Spread Spectrum stuff becasue of what I read at the Asus mobo forum.

p.p.s . I had set some of the basic advanced timing settings to match the memory specific, but now am trying to keep as much of that "auto" as possible as I can't tell what particular thing is giving me my random boot freezes. would it matter if I input them manually or is it best to keep as much auto?:eyebuldge

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

If they both pass you should only have to set the memory Voltage and timings but with that MB I would set the Command Rate to 2t Manually and set the TRC to 24 as well.

Sorry for the bump. I have a similiar issue.

Corsair XMS2 4x1gig sticks in the Asus P5N-E SLI board. If I use all 4 sticks on the default settings it won't boot (just hangs prior to bios.) If I remove one of the sticks it starts up fine.

Any other things I can try besides what's been written here? I set my NB Voltage to 1.59. Not sure if that's the v +.05 that was spoken about earlier or not though.

I also just upgraded the BIOS to the newest version 0803.

If I'm unable to get it working right is it better to run all four gigs at 667mhz or have 3ghz @ 800mhz. I may be upgraded to vista 64-bit in the future but at the moment I have windows xp pro sp 2 32-bit.

Thank you!

With 4 modules DDR667 would be suggest and can you tell me the exact settings you have set? Also do you have access to another PSU that a bit bigger to test with?

I don't have a larger PSU to test it with =/ I was on some site that estimated how large of a PSU I would need and I think I was 50W below what it suggested.

I'll probably end up placing the 4th module back in and just setting it to 667. I just went back to the Auto settings for this.

I did test it with these settings

tCL = 4

tRCD = 4

tRP = 4

tRAS = 12

CMd = 2

tRC = 24

tWTR = 15

All other settings were auto. I believe I put the NB voltage all the way up to v 1.59

A friend at work suggested I put all my ram back in, set it at 667 then overclock. I haven't read anything about overclocking yet so I'm not sure if I'll end up doing that.

Is there much of a difference from 3g @ 800 to 4g @ 667 on a 32-bit system (windows can only use 3.25 it says)?

Thank you!

• Corsair Employee

If you have one module that is failing you would need to get that set replaced and if you run three module it will likely run in single channel so yes there is a difference 4 modules running at DDR667 in dual channel will out perform 3 modules running in single channel.

And what is your complete system configuration?

I'd like to add my own experience to the mix since I am an owner of a P5N-E and also have experienced this before with two sets of Twin2x1024 PC6400 to get the 4GB total.

For this MB, after having done tons of research, the only sure way to get 4GB (four sticks actually) working on the P5N-E is to set the FSB clocks to any linked option (1:1, 3:2, 5:4 or 2:1). Keeping the unlinked option is a crapshot and is not guaranteed to work, even when up-ing the NB voltage and setting proper timings. I spent an entire evening doing just that and it did not work, but when I tried the linked option (667MHz memory, 2.6GHz CPU) system booted without any hiccups or issues at all, with NB auto voltage and 5-5-5-12 2T timings @ 1.9V

There's also an obscure reference to this MB having a FSB "hole", where 4 sticks of memory will not be stable if the mem. frequency is set to anything between 750 and 850 MHz or so. This is mostly from many other users' own experiences but I am inclined to believe they did not try the linked option instead of unlinked.

waldo15

P.S. BTW RAM guy, I posted a new entry in the forums asking for timing suggestions with memory frequencies of 750MHz and 667MHz. Maybe you can give me a hand over there? :)

• Corsair Employee
With 4 Gig or 4 modules on that MB DDR667 would be suggested. And the timings should be set to the tested settings for any module. You are welcome to try anything you like but we can only post or support the tested settings. However, you can ask a more direct question and I will be happy to answer I just cannot tell you how to over clock.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I followed everything upped my volts (now NB = 1,2 Mem = 2,085 V-core = 1,37).

but it still does not boot it just hangs at bios screen.

I didn't thouch the timings to much as I was not sure what it did.

I gave the link to the CPU-z memory tab.

please tell me what I can do to make it work.

greetings,

Joepi

I'm having the same exact problem. I can get it to boot fine with 3GB at 800mhz and 4GB at 667mhz, but I would really like to get all 4 GB going at 800mhz. So far none of the suggestions have worked.

I would try waldo15's suggestion of a linked ratio, however to get mine up to 800mhz, the ratio would need to be 2:3 which isn't listed.

Archived