Corsair Community

Asus A7V600 (KT600) Memory Issues.

biohazard2k

I've reinstalled Windows XP Pro 4 times now, installed the latest drivers for everything, and now it all seems to point to the memory being the reason why my computer restarts while I'm doing something. I should let you know that I had none of these problems with all the same components with a nForce 2 board. My CPU is set at 333FSB, and my memory is set at 400mhz, is that bad? I was able to do this with my nForce2 board just fine. Is there some memory timings I need to change in the BIOS? If so, what do I need to change? Is there some memory testing program I can download to test my memory on this board? Also, has anyone else had this problem with these boards? I've spent soo much time trying to fix this restart problem, i'm starting to go nutz. And now this stupid blaster virus doesn't make anything better. Yes, I have installed all the latest Drivers/BIOSes/etc. HELP!!!! Thanks, BioHaz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee
I am sorry that you are having trouble with our memory, Can you test the system with just one module and see if that helps. This chipset is single channel and would have the same limiatation as A7V8X with more than one module. I would also suggest that with 2 modules you run the memory Freq at or in sync with your CPU and then stager the modules, one in slot 1 and one in slot 3 and set the Dimm voltage to 2.7 Volts and please test with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] Also can you tell me the exact memory module part# that you have? Ram Guy

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]I am sorry that you are having trouble with our memory, Can you test the system with just one module and see if that helps. This chipset is single channel and would have the same limiatation as A7V8X with more than one module. I would also suggest that with 2 modules you run the memory Freq at or in sync with your CPU and then stager the modules, one in slot 1 and one in slot 3 and set the Dimm voltage to 2.7 Volts and please test with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] Also can you tell me the exact memory module part# that you have? Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] I'm not sure if this is the model # or not, but here it is... CMX512-3200C2 (Remember I have two of them and they are in slots 1 & 2) I just lowered this memory in sync with the CPU, and ran that memtest86 for 8 hours, and got zero errors. Windows has been running quite smoothly as well. Is there any special timings that I should manually set in the bios? I know this A7V600 mobo has a problem with the Vcore on the Auto setting, so maybe it has a similar problem with the ram. I just had hoped that I could run this memory at full 400mhz, like on my old nForce2. sigh... :[pouts: Tomorrow I think I'm going to try these sticks in slots 1, and 3. Thanks for the help, BioHaz

Having the memory in dimm slots 1 and 3 fixes the problem. When you run the ram at 400Mhz in dimm slots 1 and 2 the heat generated causes the memory to fail with errors(Hopefully a bios update will fix the voltage issue). Hope this helps, Happy KT600 user - PC3200 Twinx LL Powered, Psygnosi:) ASUS A7V600 Bios 1005 ~ Athlon XP Barton 3200+ 11 x 205 (410FSB) 2 Corsair 512MB DDR-PC3200 Twinx LL ~ Radeon 9800 Pro ~ 2 SATA Seagate Barracuda V 80 GigHD~ Sony DVDR510A ~ Enermax 465 PSU.

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for the help psygnosi. It really helps when others make suggestions that have the same MB. And for any single channel chipset MB I would stager the modules it helps with the way the modules are addressed from the chipset. Please note that psygnosi is running his memory at the same freq as the CPU. Ram Guy

Thanks Ram Guy, I also have an NF7-S Version 2.0 and got another pair of Corsair 512MB TwinX PC3200 LLs and man it rocks! Abit NF7-S Version 2.0 Bios 18 Athlon Barton XP 3200+ (11 x 220) 440 FSB Synchronous VCore 1.8 VDimm 2.8 - CPU Interface: Enabled Ram timings 5-2-2-2 - Prime and Memtest pass with flying colors! This ram is unbelievable! Glad I got them before the prices went up again! Happy KT600 and NForce 2 Ultra User, Psygnosi:D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by psygnosi [/i] [B]Having the memory in dimm slots 1 and 3 fixes the problem. When you run the ram at 400Mhz in dimm slots 1 and 2 the heat generated causes the memory to fail with errors(Hopefully a bios update will fix the voltage issue). Hope this helps, Happy KT600 user - PC3200 Twinx LL Powered, Psygnosi:) ASUS A7V600 Bios 1005 ~ Athlon XP Barton 3200+ 11 x 205 (410FSB) 2 Corsair 512MB DDR-PC3200 Twinx LL ~ Radeon 9800 Pro ~ 2 SATA Seagate Barracuda V 80 GigHD~ Sony DVDR510A ~ Enermax 465 PSU. [/B][/QUOTE] So you're saying that you had problem while they were together (that is if you ever had them together)? So there is a voltage issue with this A7V600? I knew it! What do I have to change it to? Man, I'm glad I got my ram B4 the prices went up, I saved myself $50 :greengrin .

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]...Please note that psygnosi is running his memory at the same freq as the CPU...[/B][/QUOTE] I don't wanna spend another $250 to get a 400FSP processor! :( Is it bad to underclock the memory to 333 to match the processor? Yo Ramguy, do you work for Corsair or something? BioHaz

Yes I had errors in memtest when I had them together....Dimm slot 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. But 1 and 3 fixed my problem. Memtest passed with flying colors! Also remember to choose manual then choose 1.65 for the cpu vcore. The A7V600 has a problem with the Auto setting - it chooses too high a voltage for cpu. Same with the RAM. This is to get it stable at 333FSB. If you want to run 400FSB do this: Set your CPU Voltage at 1.7, Set your Memory Voltage at 2.7. Choose 11 for multiplier and choose 200.(11 x 200). Then choose 400 instead of 333. This will effectively run your Barton 2800+ like a 3200+. This is possible because the A7V600 unlocks your Barton XP Processor. Also set your ram timings manually to 7-3-3-2. As you can already see, you need to set things manually with this board, choosing auto causes problems.(hopefully bios 1006 corrects this problem). Hope this helps, Psygnosi:)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by psygnosi [/i] [B]Yes I had errors in memtest when I had them together....Dimm slot 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. But 1 and 3 fixed my problem. Memtest passed with flying colors! Also remember to choose manual then choose 1.65 for the cpu vcore. The A7V600 has a problem with the Auto setting - it chooses too high a voltage for cpu. Same with the RAM. This is to get it stable at 333FSB. If you want to run 400FSB do this: Set your CPU Voltage at 1.7, Set your Memory Voltage at 2.7. Choose 11 for multiplier and choose 200.(11 x 200). Then choose 400 instead of 333. This will effectively run your Barton 2800+ like a 3200+. This is possible because the A7V600 unlocks your Barton XP Processor. Also set your ram timings manually to 7-3-3-2. As you can already see, you need to set things manually with this board, choosing auto causes problems.(hopefully bios 1006 corrects this problem). Hope this helps, Psygnosi:) [/B][/QUOTE] I got my memory in slots 1 & 3 now. I tried that 400 FSB trick in your last post, but I can't seem to restart the computer without the video not turning on. I can't select the DRAM Voltage to 2.7 like you said, I can only select either 2.65 or 2.75 (so I chose 2.75). Also, could my problem be that I need to enable the overvolt jumper on the motherboard?? And when you said the timings to be 7-3-3-2 you ment it like this... SDRAM CAS Latency 2 SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay 3 SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay 3 SDRAM Active Precharge Delay 7 ... Right? If i set my multipler to 10 instead of 11, then the cpu would run at 2ghz, thus I wouldn't be overclocking right? I don't really want to overclock, I just want my ram to run at 400mhz. Thanks for the help guys!!! BioHaz

I put the memory in slots 1 & 3, and did the memtest86 without a single error (only 1 pass), and that was 400mhz, too. Keep in mind, my processor is currently at 333mhz, while my memory is 400mhz. So I'm thinking, that fixed my problem. I'll keep ya posted if somethin' happens. I still would like to get my processor at 400mhz (without problems). Ain't that something about the power in NYC and the other states? It makes ya really think what a person would do without power :woah!:, maybe read a book? :winking:

Do not enable the overvolt jumper! Your Bios setting should look like this: Advanced Menu CPU Speed [Manual] CPU Frequency Multiple [11.0x] CPU External Frequency(Mhz) [200/33] Memory Frequency(Mhz) [400] CPU VCore Setting [Manual] CPU VCore [1.750] AGP Voltage [1.5V] DRAM Voltage [2.75V] System Performance [Optimal] Chip Configuration SDRAM Configuration [User Define] SDRAM CAS Latency [2T] SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay [3T] SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay [3T] SDRAM Active Precharge Delay [7T] SDRAM 1T Command Control [Auto] SDRAM Bank Interleave [4 Bank] Graphics Aperture Size [128MB] AGP Capability [8X Mode] AGP Drive Strength [Auto] AGP Performance Control [Disabled] AGP Fast Write Control [Disabled] Video Memory Cache Mode [USWC] DRAM Burst Length 8QW [Disabled] Rank Interleave [Disabled] Hope this helps, Psygnosi:)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by psygnosi [/i] [B]Do not enable the overvolt jumper! Your Bios setting should look like this: Advanced Menu CPU Speed [Manual] CPU Frequency Multiple [11.0x] CPU External Frequency(Mhz) [200/33] Memory Frequency(Mhz) [400] CPU VCore Setting [Manual] CPU VCore [1.750] AGP Voltage [1.5V] DRAM Voltage [2.75V] System Performance [Optimal] Chip Configuration SDRAM Configuration [User Define] SDRAM CAS Latency [2T] SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay [3T] SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay [3T] SDRAM Active Precharge Delay [7T] SDRAM 1T Command Control [Auto] SDRAM Bank Interleave [4 Bank] Graphics Aperture Size [128MB] AGP Capability [8X Mode] AGP Drive Strength [Auto] AGP Performance Control [Disabled] AGP Fast Write Control [Disabled] Video Memory Cache Mode [USWC] DRAM Burst Length 8QW [Disabled] Rank Interleave [Disabled] Hope this helps, Psygnosi:) [/B][/QUOTE] I printed your settings above, and changed it in the BIOS, and the same thing happens. I can get into windows and all, I just can't restart the computer without it hanging. Sigh... Like I said before I had no errors in Memtest86, but in windows my computer is now crashing again, do you think it is memory related, or rather a driver problem? :[pouts:

[B]Like I said before I had no errors in Memtest86, but in windows my computer is now crashing again, do you think it is memory related, or rather a driver problem?[/B] Most likely its irq conflict related. Can you give me an irq listing of your devices? Your PCI cards should be in either PCI Slots 3 or 4. Less likely to share at these locations. The obvious questions: Are you running SP1? Did you install the latest 4in1 Hyperion Drivers from Via? Are you running Bios 1005 Final? And the most important question of all is when you installed windows xp did you have Interrupt Mode[PIC] chosen in the bios? Default is Interrupt Mode[APIC]. It should be [PIC]. Explanation of [PIC] and [APIC] is in your A7v600 Manual. Mind you that if you change this you will have to re-install windows again. Hope this helps, Psygnosi:)

I installed windows in APIC :( Good thing is, is that the problem was stupid ASUS probe. As soon as I removed that, UT2K3, doesn't crash or restart my computer, and my PocketPC 2002 Emulator doesn't restart my computer either. I noticed other people with asus probe had restarting problems, too, so I thought to uninstall it, and what do you know, it works!!! Back to the BIOS, I still can't get my CPU to 400mhz without hanging after a restart, could it be my 333fsb 2800+ CPU can't handle the extra stuff? Should I try it at a multiple of 10 instead of 11? Thanks, BioHaz

You can try 10 which wouldn't hurt but I've setup alot of Barton 2800+s and 11 x 200 should work fine. Even Barton 2500+s run at 11 x 200 with no problem. Go to Amd's site and download the cpuid tool and see if it is really a Barton or not. Now I'm really curious.... Psygnosi:)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by psygnosi [/i] [B]You can try 10 which wouldn't hurt but I've setup alot of Barton 2800+s and 11 x 200 should work fine. Psygnosi:) [/B][/QUOTE] My cpu gets up to 60C while at 400mhz, that isn't too bad, is it? Should I flip flop my memory from slot 1 to 3, and from 3 to 1? I've heard sometimes that helps. Why does it work so well at 400mhz in windows, but then mess up if I do a restart from either Windows or the Bios? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG! :( Maybe I should do small steps up to 400, and see what works, and doesn't work. BioHaz

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by psygnosi [/i] [B]You can try 10 which wouldn't hurt but I've setup alot of Barton 2800+s and 11 x 200 should work fine. Even Barton 2500+s run at 11 x 200 with no problem. Go to Amd's site and download the cpuid tool and see if it is really a Barton or not. Now I'm really curious.... Psygnosi:) [/B][/QUOTE] You stinker, you edited your post. LOL Does probe work on your system, or do you not even use it? Look at the attachment, it says nothing about a Barton. When I bought it, it was suppose to be a Barton, I mean it has 512 L2 Cache.

Yes Asus Probe works on my A7V600. I downloaded the latest one. I use it all the time. So you do have a Barton. Just wanted to make sure. 60c is pretty high and pretty hot. Mine is running 42c idle 47c on load. I'm using a Vantec Aeroflow - its awesome! I would seriously consider you fix your heat problem first and just run stock for now. Heat is a major factor here and I think its probably causing your problem. Hope this helps, Psygnosi:)

If anything I think we ruled out that its not the awesome Corsair Ram thats the problem. If you want you can post this message in VIA's Asus Arena forum at [url]www.viaarena.com[/url] where others like myself with A7V600s can also help. Personally I use Prime95 and Memtest to test the stability of the system. If neither pass then something is wrong. See ya there, Psygnosi:)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by psygnosi [/i] [B]Yes Asus Probe works on my A7V600. I downloaded the latest one. I use it all the time. So you do have a Barton. Just wanted to make sure. 60c is pretty high and pretty hot. Mine is running 42c idle 47c on load. I'm using a Vantec Aeroflow - its awesome! I would seriously consider you fix your heat problem first and just run stock for now. Heat is a major factor here and I think its probably causing your problem. Hope this helps, Psygnosi:) [/B][/QUOTE] My CPU is at 60c at the 333FSB, too. And I can restart just fine at the 333 setting. So obviously the temp can't be the problem if they are both 60c. My mainboard temp is 38c. What is odd, is this cpu on my old nForce2 board, the temp read 45c with my current HSF. Whats up with that? What part of the Via forum do you want to discuss this?

Asus.. One person there had a similar problem and it came to the conclusion that his A7V600 was defective. RMA time. His board was also running hot at 60c as well as his voltages were on the high side on auto. Glad you told me that the parts you are currently using are from another system that reports cooler temps. Now I'm kinda wondering if your board is functioning correctly. Psygnosi:)

Archived