Corsair Community

HX650, 24-pin connector issue?

Wali

Good evening!

I'm somewhat worried I may be outing myself as an idiot here with my very first post, but this is the first time I am trying to assemble a computer..

It seems I can't plug the HX650's 24-pin connector all the way into the mainboard (ASRock Z77 Extreme4). I can insert the connector about two thirds of the way, but not all the way until it snaps.

As I've been trying but can't figure out what's wrong, I'm wondering whether this is a hardware conflict or possibly a user error after all.

I'd be extremely grateful if someone with more experience was able to shed some light on this issue.

Best regards,

Wali

In my experience it ends up being a case of a) pin alignment b) a crushed pin

Take a look at both the psu connector and the mb header, if nothing looks off visually set the connector in place and rock it side to side ( lengthwise ) , the pivot point will be the key that stops you from fully connecting

You can use long nosed tweezers or a jewelers screwdriver to straighten a pin on the header and the screwdriver can be used to reshape a female that may be crushed in the psu connector

Thanks a lot for looking into this, contrvlr.

I tried to follow your advice and checked both the PSU connector and the motherboards's header with the help of a flashlight. The header's pins all look undamaged and straight. The PSU's female connectors also seem undamaged to me, though a few might be a tiny bit misaligned.

This could be the cause of the issue, potentially, but when I tried to rock the connector from side to side a bit, as you suggested, I got the impression it was basically sitting on the bottom of the header.

The thing is that pushing it in two thirds is very easy. No force required at all - just smooth. But then it won't move any further down.

Unfortunately the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is not full ATX form factor, so the board bends when exacting pressure on that end as it isn't supported by spacers. Tried to stabilize it with some folded cardboard, but even the case's backplate isn't happy with the pressure. To me that suggests if the issue was with the pins / female connectors, I should have definitely crushed them by now?

So I guess my question is: Can someone confirm from experience that the 24-pin connector from a HX650 series PSU will fit into the ASRock Z77 Extreme4's header? Maybe the pins are just a tad too long for this motherboard.

So I guess my question is: Can someone confirm from experience that the 24-pin connector from a HX650 series PSU will fit into the ASRock Z77 Extreme4's header? Maybe the pins are just a tad too long for this motherboard.

The connectors on both the MB and PSU have to conform to normal ATX specs. Sometimes they are a pain to get in for what ever reason. Sometimes you just have to wiggle them a bit but it should go in. But for a PSU to not "fit" a MB is impossible.

Maybe hold your tongue a little different?:p:

Well, I did just that. I tried again (and again, and again)... with exactly the same result. No matter how I try to wiggle or hold my tongue (or wiggle my tongue, for that matter): That connector can't be pushed down completely on the header.

By now I'm fairly sure the mainboard will just snap if I keep trying. It's not the most sturdy to begin with, but I didn't anticipate this kind of trouble. I guess this is where my inexperience really shines through, but I expected things to work according to the manual: "Connect the 24-pin power cable to the 24-pin header on the motherboard. [...] Congratulations, the power supply is installed!"

Nowhere did it mention this procedure required an advanced degree in engineering.

Sorry, I'm a bit discouraged by now. I've been told repeatedly that assembling a computer is mostly uncomplicated business, but for me there's been quite a bit of trouble involved. This issue just kinda puts the last nail into the coffin.

I've tried to do a bit of reading on this subject over the last days and found a similar problem description here. It really seems the male and female pins not fitting together is the most likely cause for the issue. Just in my case I think it's being caused by the PSU's female connectors, as those look somewhat uneven.

Now I have two questions, and it would be great to get Corsair's official stance on the first:

1) Will manually altering the PSU's connector pins have any adverse effect on warranty and/or a potential RMA process?

and

2) If altering the connector pins has no effect on warranty / RMA - is there a guide for it available, somewhere?

I've seen the procedure being mentioned a number of times, but it's never described in great detail. Usually it's along the lines of: "Take a small screwdriver and re-/shape the connector pins as required."

As it would be the first time for me, is there anything I need to be aware of? Common mistakes that have to be avoided? I'd be really grateful if someone had a link to some sort of how-to, or could give me a rundown so I don't break anything by accident (or possibly do damage to the connector that would lead to a short once it fits on the header).

yeah, modifying the cables in any would void the warranty. If you still haven't been able to get that to work i would suggest getting the unit replaced.

You could possibly use a larger sized needle or something similar to insert into the pins and open them up a little. But above that i would do anything else

Any chance to get this confirmed by an official source, perhaps RAM GUY?

I had another look at the warranty policies and they seem to be pretty much in line with what peanutz suggested.. no manipulation allowed.

It just seems odd to have the entire unit replaced over an issue with a part that I may be able to fix myself, and that would have to be repaired/replaced factory side anyway, if I RMA'd the unit as is.

I had another look at the warranty policies and they seem to be pretty much in line with what peanutz suggested.. no manipulation allowed.

There is no harm in just trying to open up the pins inside. Just not allowed to make any modifications as in like replacing the connector. The connectors inside are like a clamshell sort of . They will spread appart in two pieces. So if you see one that is smashed closed or looks smaller than the others there is no harmin trying to open them up a little.

• Corsair Employee
Sorry to hear this Wali but I am trying to understand what the issue is and by reading your post, it all comes down to "Putting the 24pin connector to the MB", is that the issue? If so, are any of the pins inside the 24 connector itself is loose or somehow pushed in? causing not to seat properly to the MB? Peanutz is spot on, you can try to push or pull the pins but changing it will void the warranty. There is no official guide on "how to" in regards on changing the pins or even move it, as we do not recommend it.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look into this, RAM GUY. I'll try my best to address your questions - please let me know whether it helps to clear things up.

Sorry to hear this Wali but I am trying to understand what the issue is and by reading your post, it all comes down to "Putting the 24pin connector to the MB", is that the issue?

Yes. The connector can not be inserted into the motherboard's header completely. I can push it in about 2/3 of the way very easily, but not any further.

If so, are any of the pins inside the 24 connector itself is loose or somehow pushed in? causing not to seat properly to the MB?

None of the pins seem actually "loose". Some of them seem to be aligned a tad wrong due to the cables they connect to being under tension. One of the pins (roughly in the middle of the connector) can be pushed back a little bit.

But if I had to take a bet, I'd say the main issue is: The openings of some of the PSU connector's female pins are too small to accomodate the header's male pins. These openings of the female pins are not quite even, and perhaps the male pins get caught on the edges.

Peanutz is spot on, you can try to push or pull the pins but changing it will void the warranty. There is no official guide on "how to" in regards on changing the pins or even move it, as we do not recommend it.

I'm sorry, but does that mean "altering the pin in any way will void the warranty", or "exchanging the original pin for another will void the warranty"?

What I would like to do (if it does not void warranty) is: Insert a jeweler's screwdriver / thick needle into the female pins to open them up a little and make sure the opening is even.

I didn't really expect you'd have an official guide for something so specific, but if I am allowed to do it, any kind of tutorial or how-to would be great to look at first, if you happen to know of one.

Again: Thank you for looking into this. It's really appreciated.

Could I get a quick clarification on this, please? Originally I'd hoped to save time and trouble making the modifications myself, compared to filing an RMA request.. but at this point it would just be great to have the official verdict, so I can move on either way.

Sorry for being so persistent, but this issue has stalled progress on the project for a while now - and I'm eager to get it finished.

It seems I can't plug the HX650's 24-pin connector all the way into the mainboard (ASRock Z77 Extreme4). I can insert the connector about two thirds of the way, but not all the way until it snaps.

Have you tested another PSU with the MOBO to see if the MOBO socket is the issue?

Or, do you have a spare MOBO into which you can insert the HX650 24-pin connector to see if it fits there?

Have you tested another PSU with the MOBO to see if the MOBO socket is the issue?

Or, do you have a spare MOBO into which you can insert the HX650 24-pin connector to see if it fits there?

My previous PCs were pre-built systems, so it was difficult to salvage components. I just ended up throwing the whole thing away (as intended by the manufacturer, I guess). After asking around a bit, the same is true for most of my friends - so I don't currently have spare parts available to test this as you suggested.

Best I could do was take a few snapshots of the header / connector so you can have a look yourself.

Header:

http://s15.postimg.org/d7w2wks93/Board2.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/bfg3h7ve7/Board3.jpg

Connector:

http://s22.postimg.org/jh1w5nt5p/Connector1.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/3t7q62nxr/Connector2.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/jt80sf1e7/Connector3.jpg

Archived