Corsair Community

H100i Pro Rgb - Pwm or not?

Bhaalspawn

So in the website

https://www.corsair.com/it/it/Categorie/Prodotti/Raffreddamento-a-liquido/c/Cor_Products_Cooling?q=%3Afeatured%3AcoolingLinkCompatibility%3AYes%3AcoolingCpuSocketCompatibility%3AAMD+AM4&text=#rotatingText

if i check the option "PWM",this Aio disappears but in the description i read

"Two 120mm ML Series magnetic levitation bearing PWM fans ... "

So it's PWM or not? can i control it with MSI command center?

The internal fan controller on the H100i PRO is PWM. Only 4 pin PWM fans will work. Only iCUE or Corsair Link can control the internal cooler fan controller. This is how the cooler was designed to operate.

MSI Command Center or any other motherboard software package will only work on the motherboard headers and fans directly connected to it.

The H100i PRO (and all other Corsair "i" coolers) have an internal fan control relay in the pump housing. This allows you to control the fans from a cooler specific variable - coolant temperature. It is how the cooler really works and it is the most efficient (least volatile) variable for fan control. There is a 2 fan splitter connected to the pump. Connect to the two fans. Control speeds as you see fit in the software, which you also need for LED control and pump speed control.

You do not have to use the fan controller on the cooler and could connect them to the motherboard directly. That would place control under MSI Com Center and/or the BIOS fan settings. However, it would also eliminate coolant temperature as a control variable choice and you would be forced to use something like CPU temperature. CPU temperature is a rather dynamic variable to begin with, but on the last several Intel CPU series, it can be very aggressive with its behavior. This leads to a lot of fan speed changes and that can be an irritant. Also, you don't need the fans to blast off every time you open a browser window or application. That's not how the cooling system works, but the CPU will still devote maximum resources to performing the simple task. I was a little surprised to see iTunes keeping one single core + package temp at 50C last night listening to a local file song. All other cores were in the mid 20s. 50C is what I see for gaming on this 8700K, so if I had the fans set to CPU temp, it would have given me gaming type of fan speeds instead of the very quiet idle desktop speeds that were appropriate. I don't see a lot of reason to do it this way, but using the motherboard or other fan controller is always an option. Since you will surely have some other Corsair RGB devices in this build, you will need to run iCUE anyway. Might as well let it control the fans on the cooler. That is one thing is does fairly well.

**Not really sure why the website is doing that. There seems to be two PWM-Yes check boxes. Clicking one takes you to the prior generation of coolers. Clicking the other yes takes you to the 3 new PRO coolers. All of them have a PWM fan controller. Perhaps something did not translate correctly on the Italian version.

**Not really sure why the website is doing that. There seems to be two PWM-Yes check boxes. Clicking one takes you to the prior generation of coolers. Clicking the other yes takes you to the 3 new PRO coolers. All of them have a PWM fan controller. Perhaps something did not translate correctly on the Italian version.

i noticed later that the options of choice are both "yes": Yes (4) and Yes (3) :bigeyes:

about the fan speed controls,i didn't understand the advanteges you explained but it's ok,don't try to explain again.

I saw that if i want i can just buy a splitter and connect the fans to the motherboard. But the splitter that comes with the aio is removable or is it fixed to the pump/water block?

I want to use the motherboard just because i like these new motheboards. i bought an Aio that had its fans controlled by motherboard and also RGB should have been controlled by Mystic Light. I say "should" because in reality Mystic Light worked very bad and so i returned the Aio and i'm looking for another one.

But the splitter that comes with the aio is removable or is it fixed to the pump/water block?

No, you can't use the H100i PRO splitter. One end is a unique connector that fits into the pump. You will need a separate 2 way PWM splitter. This should be very inexpensive. All PWM splitters will have a 4 pin connector for the motherboard, then 1x4 and 1x3 pin connectors on the fan end. Only one speed signal is sent back to the controller. Both fans will run the same speed.

I can't advise you on the pros and cons of Mystic Light and Command Center. I have not used either.

about the fan speed controls,i didn't understand the advanteges you explained but it's ok,don't try to explain again.

I saw that if i want i can just buy a splitter and connect the fans to the motherboard. But the splitter that comes with the aio is removable or is it fixed to the pump/water block?

Corsair's AIO's have a fan controller integrated into the pump. This is controlled by the pump itself via iCue or Link. They aren't controlled from the motherboard headers.

I want to use the motherboard just because i like these new motheboards. i bought an Aio that had its fans controlled by motherboard and also RGB should have been controlled by Mystic Light. I say "should" because in reality Mystic Light worked very bad and so i returned the Aio and i'm looking for another one.

Again, the Corsair AIO's have the fan speeds controlled from the pump, not from the motherboard. As c-attack mentioned, this allows you to control the fan speed based on the coolant temperature rather than the CPU temperature. This is the proper (IMHO) way to do it - the fans push air to cool the coolant. The fans do not cool the CPU (not directly, at least) - it's the coolant that cools the CPU. Modern CPUs, especially those from Intel, have a LOT of temperature jumps. This is actually normal and expected behavior but if you are controlling fan speeds from the CPU temperatures, it leads to fan speeds also jumping around a LOT. Which gets highly, highly annoying (and why most motherboards have hysteresis functionality). If you control your radiator fan speeds based on the coolant temperature, which doesn't move very much (due to the higher specific heat of the liquid), you have much smoother fan performance and noise - it's far, far less annoying.

Archived