Corsair Community

Corsair Service - 60% CPU Usage!

mikeh117

I've recently installed iCUE 3.7.99 in my new build to control the lighting effects on my Vengeance Pro RGB RAM and 3x LL120 RGB fans (CO-9050072-WW). I had originally controlled everything from the Corsair header on my MSI M7 X470 motherboard but wanted to use the additional effects available in iCUE so I have now setup the fans with the controller which is connected to a USB header on my motherboard and everything works perfectly with the latest version of iCUE. My problem is the Corsair Service (32bit) version 3.7.0.22 is using huge amounts of system resources (over 60% CPU usage) and as a result my CPU temp sits over 50c and all my fans are on max to keep the system cool. I've tried disabling all lighting effects but it does nothing. Full system specs in my profile. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

CPU.thumb.png.a2b1e6c09303b1a51bcc9f8108dcb877.png

Version.thumb.PNG.53af4a0971a566ebe3f66005919d6bcb.PNG

Edited by mikeh117

If you kill iCUE and then both CorsairService 32 bit and Corsair Display service in task manager, will it pop right back up to 60% on relaunch? Sometimes iCUE will get into this with other programs (like Mystic Light) and one or the other will get stuck in the loop, but it shouldn't happen each time.

Can you also list all the iCUE connected devices in your system? (keyboards, mice, fans, etc). Sometimes one specific component is responsible.

Thanks for the reply. OK, I killed all the Corsair services and iCUE app and rebooted but this made no difference. I'm not running any connected iCUE devices other than my fans and RAM, however I do have an addressable RGB strip and some non-addressable RGB fans connected to my MSI motherboard that I control with Mystic Light. The Corsair fans and RAM are connected to the Corsair controller however they still appear in Mystic Light so it may still be trying to control them.

I have 10 LL120s and 3 LL140s, 8 sticks of Vengeance Pro RGB ram, plus the h150i cooler, and Corsair RGB keyboard and mouse all running w/iCUE at the moment. Everything has been working pretty well, even when stress testing during overclocking.

My CPU use, throughout, on an i9-7940X, has been about 4% to 5%, which seems high to me, but could potentially be explained by the software just needing an optimization pass or three.

60% CPU use, though, clearly indicates some kind of bug or software conflict.

We're using different CPUs and motherboards, but similar Corsair products in our builds. So I'm guessing the problem will ultimately be traced to motherboard or BIOS settings or something like that.

The only problem I had, so far, with iCUE was that my keyboard refused to light up. Couldn't figure out why, but ultimately, the solution to that wound up being to uninstall and remove all iCUE and iCUE profiles, then reinstall iCUE and try again. After doing that, everything has worked fine since.

I'd give that a try, just to rule it out as a potential simple fix.

Also, are you running other software that might be conflicting with iCUE, such as HWiNFO64, or another vendor's fan or RGB controller software? For instance, I found that I had to disable HWiNFO64's monitoring of the H150i PRO cooler or my fans would freak out.

Actually, there is another setting in iCUE to play with that does affect CPU use. On the Device Settings tab for the RAM, there's a setting called: "Enable full software control". If I uncheck that, my CPU use goes down from the 4% or so it typically uses (when the setting is enabled) to about 1.3 or so.

Unfortunately, it also means that my ram's RGB lighting turns off, although that might be due to the lighting setup I'm currently using, or a conflict with ASUS Aura which I have running to control my motherboard RGB.

Still, it's worth a try to disable that setting and see what impact that has on your CPU use.

I disabled 'enable full software control' and usage has dropped to 5-10% which is still very high but an improvement over 60%. I suspect it may be conflicting with Mystic Light which I need to control my other lights, including the onboard lighting, as the MSI software recognizes the RAM and doesn't give me an option to remove it. Perhaps one day all these hardware manufacturers will sit down together and play nicely for the benefit of all us consumers, but somehow I doubt it.

I disabled 'enable full software control' and usage has dropped to 5-10% which is still very high but an improvement over 60%. I suspect it may be conflicting with Mystic Light which I need to control my other lights, including the onboard lighting, as the MSI software recognizes the RAM and doesn't give me an option to remove it. Perhaps one day all these hardware manufacturers will sit down together and play nicely for the benefit of all us consumers, but somehow I doubt it.

It's for this reason I picked a platform and stuck with it. I use Corsair RGB devices and iCUE exclusively, and I am getting great results. I also have an MSI board (X470 Gaming Pro Carbon), but just loaded up Mysitc Light to disable all the onboard RGB and LEDs, then uninstalled it. I have HD 120 fans and Corsair RGB strips to provide all other lighting inside the case, and looks much better than MSI's implementation on the board itself, which is spotty. iCUE does bump CPU usage up to about 5-10% if I have software control enabled for the RAM, but without it I sit around ~1% usage. The RAM lighting will still work, you just have to go back and assign a lighting profile to it, and you don't have as much control.

I'll admit, my suspicions revolve around the RAM. We are all using LL and don't have anywhere near that level of difficulty. The RAM is newer and more complex in its requirements to function.

Even with that in mind, the extreme cases of CPU usage have previously been around 20-25%. 60% is a beyond extreme. If you haven't already, uninstall iCUE and go to the C:Users/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair/CUE folder and either delete it, or maybe better still cut it out and paste it to the desktop. These are all your exisiting profiles and settings. Reboot. Reinstall iCUE and see if the usage is crazy with the standard effects. If things are OK (or still bad), you can drop the CUE folder back into the App Data/Roaming/Corsair location then restart iCUE to bring back all your old settings and programs links. You can also manually export all your profiles, but it is a slower process and does not preserve icon, background, and programs links.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi. I also need help. I'm using bootcamp in my 2018 13 inch touchbar macbook pro. It has an upgrade i7 8559u cpu, but corsair.service.cpuid is eating up upto 25% of my cpu usage (task manager). I'm using the latest icue software and mouse firmware (Harpoon wireless), but it still eats up my usage.

Hi. I also need help. I'm using bootcamp in my 2018 13 inch touchbar macbook pro. It has an upgrade i7 8559u cpu, but corsair.service.cpuid is eating up upto 25% of my cpu usage (task manager). I'm using the latest icue software and mouse firmware (Harpoon wireless), but it still eats up my usage.

I don't know too much about macs, but try the native macos beta if you get a chance.

• 1 month later...
I had the same trouble with mine, especially after i place in 2 more sticks or Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600mhz ram. My cpu usage went through the roof. In fact I tried a benchmark and it wouldn't finish saying I had too high of Cpu usage. Once I chose the rgb setup I wanted I had to uncheck this box in advanced setting "Enable full software control" After that all was good. I reboot and it maintaines the last known rgb setting. I could not believe how many resources it was using before I did that. Until they have a fix for compatibility with Asus Aura I will just use the generic lighting for now. Edited by Axeinator

• 4 months later...