Corsair Community

Feedback

wemdee

I just installed the Link and Lighting Kit with an extra Lighting node. I really like the system now that it is installed. I have to agree with some of the other feedback here about the lack of documentation and general confusion that comes along with the link system.

I am not a novice. I have over 20 years of experience in IT hardware and software. I was able to figure out the install eventually, but Corsair could have saved me a few hours of unnecessary trouble-shooting and research by just including a one page install document.

First issue was with the cables. There is nothing to indicate what is supposed to connect to what. While it is simple enough to separate the cables into groups and compare connectors, a simple diagram showing the cables would have helped. I spent probably an hour trying to "locate the commander" because I had accidentally picked one of the short link cables and couldn't reach the h100. There is nothing to indicate that there is one cable that is longer and it is not that obvious when it is still secured by the twist tie.

Second issue was the firmware. I spent several iterations of installing and removing the software trying to get it to recognize the commander module. At first, I thought maybe it didn't install correctly due to permission issues. Then I thought maybe it was because the USB driver didn't install correctly. Then I thought maybe I should re-seat everything and reinstall. I finally did a system restore and tried everything new again. When that didn't work, I assumed it was a faulty module and submitted an RMA request. Luckily, I decided to give it one more try and discovered that the 2.x software that is on the web site is not compatible with the 1.x/0.x firmware that the units ship with. After going through the whole cycle of uninstall 2.x/ reboot / install 1.x/ upgrade firmware on the commander / uninstall 1.x / reboot / install 2.x, it finally worked and I cancelled the RMA.

I like Corsair. I like the products. I think this one is suffering from a lack of maturity as a product. A simple diagram for the wiring and instructions on what software is compatible with which firmware would have saved me a significant amount of time on the install.

One other suggestion. You might want to sell or include a USB 3.0 header adapter. I have the ax1200i, and the Link Commander. That uses two USB 2.0 headers and my motherboard ( ASUS Maximus V Extreme ) which only has two. Meanwhile, I have two spare USB 3.0 headers free. Since USB 3.0 is becoming more prevalent, you should start heading that direction, or at least offer up a choice.

I ordered a PCIe card that has two USB 2.0 headers for now, but would rather not have to use it.

• Corsair Employee
One other suggestion. You might want to sell or include a USB 3.0 header adapter. I have the ax1200i, and the Link Commander. That uses two USB 2.0 headers and my motherboard ( ASUS Maximus V Extreme ) which only has two. Meanwhile, I have two spare USB 3.0 headers free. Since USB 3.0 is becoming more prevalent, you should start heading that direction, or at least offer up a choice.

We could certainly use more documentation on this product and how it all goes together.

With the AXi series PSU's, if you take the output cable from the PSU and plug it directly into the Corsair Commander, you can skip using the PSU USB dongle that comes with it. That will save you one internal USB header. That is if the PSU output cable is long enough to reach to the location you have mounted the Commander unit.

We could certainly use more documentation on this product and how it all goes together.

With the AXi series PSU's, if you take the output cable from the PSU and plug it directly into the Corsair Commander, you can skip using the PSU USB dongle that comes with it. That will save you one internal USB header. That is if the PSU output cable is long enough to reach to the location you have mounted the Commander unit.

Thanks. Good to know.

I support Wemdee's comments. In addition, a few simple changes to some of the web pages would help those new to the product.

(1) E.g. The product page for the Link Cooling Kit. The Downloads Tab should have a link to the latest firmware update. Also on this tab, to keep the terminology consistent replace the word "Corsair Link Install" with "Corsair Link Dashboard software install". This suggestion also applies to compatible products like the AX1200i PSU and the H80 & H100 coolers.

(2) Each compatible product should have full details of software, firmware, installation, updates, etc. available on the web sites "Products" pages.

Considering the problems that a large number of people seem to be having with this product, I would have thought that Corsair could have applied its considerable resources and expertise to quickly implement many of the suggestions.

COOL GUY: Saying we could use more doco doesn't help! There are threads here going back to the initial release asking for clearer doco.... How about someone actually doing something about it!!

Have to agree with Leigh about the product page! I'd like to add that with regard to firmware that it be highlighted as BETA if it's a BETA release. A lot of people are getting annoyed (me included) after downloading the release on the web page only to find out it's a BETA and it doesn't work!!!!

If you want people to test BETA software I'm sure there are pleanty that are willing. Create a BETA testers area/login and give them the BETA software!!! The rest of us want a system that works.....

Archived