Corsair Community

Can a key combo trigger a macro?

gamebynight

Hi Everyone,

First off, I hope you all have a good New Year's Eve planned! Hopefully my question is pretty basic. I am between the K70 and the K95 RGB versions. I do occasionally use macros for basic text strings or key combination presses. I do not use them often, so the K95 seems like a bit much for me, but I don't want to lose that functionality.

What I'm wondering is the the CUE software will allow me to use a key combination for a macro event. For example, could I easily set Shift + W to trigger a text string ("<h1>"), key press/combo -- essentially remap -- ("Alt+7", for example), or a full on macro ("alt+f1, pause, w, pause, 2, pause, shift+3, pause, etc.). I don't want to lose the basic functionality of any key, so a combination is necessary.

If this is easy enough to set up then the K70 RGB should work just fine with the handful of macros that I use.

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to get my hands on either one of these amazing keyboards!

Best,

Chris

Hi All,

I don't suppose anyone who has used the CUE software would know if this is possible or not? Thank you, and I apologize for self-bumping. Amazon has been getting stock in for very brief windows since yesterday and I'd like to jump as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Chris

You can do that with a little trickery :)

You have profiles and in the profiles you can have several modes. Modes can be switched by a key of your choice. Mine for example is always this "open menu" key thingy that I otherwise never use (this one).

You can set it to "Switch Mode" and also in a way that it only switches to that mode, as long as you are pressing it. Awesome. What's next.

In the new mode you are switching to, you can for example bind a macro or a key press to any key you want. For example your "W" to trigger the text string you mentioned ("<h1>").

If you need help with it, I'll gladly help. Just say the word.

Good luck!

I do have one question since I haven't had hands-on time with CUE yet. Does changing the mode effect the lighting scheme at all or is it just for alternate key settings? One more: when you press the key bound to mode switching, does it revert back to the "normal" key set when you release the key? So, "mode 2 when held" so to speak.

I do have one question since I haven't had hands-on time with CUE yet. Does changing the mode effect the lighting scheme at all or is it just for alternate key settings?

Depends on how you set it up. If you use the same lighting scheme in both modes, only the layout you're setting up changes. But you can also set another lighting in your second mode.

I did this for my Star Citizen layout.

One more: when you press the key bound to mode switching, does it revert back to the "normal" key set when you release the key? So, "mode 2 when held" so to speak.

Yes, it goes back to first mode. Or whatever mode you were pressing the key in.

Very cool. This is just what I was hoping for. Is mode switching pretty reliable? I've heard there are some issues with advanced functions when in certain programs like Steam, but it sounded like these were mostly with the lighting animations for some users. Thank you again. Money and weeks of waiting saved if Amazon keeps selling the Browns off and on like they have been.

thank you :)

I don't know if I'm just super lucky or others have bad luck?! But my keyboard works flawlessly at the moment if you know some of the bugs or shortcomings of the software.

For example if you use steam, start that first and then after steam has started you can start CUE.

Maybe I just have a good combination of motherboard and USB chipset or others may have bad luck with their combination?! I really don't know.

The mode switching works like a charm for me. I also made a profile that is used like a switchboard :) There I can switch to different profiles for different lightings, start programs, change my standard sound output device etc... All that stuff is not super easy to set up, but when you get a bit into CUE you can do funny and productive stuff already.

To make it short, yes, the mode switching works perfectly for me. No crashes whatsoever for me.

Hope you will be happy with yours, too.

Archived