Corsair Community

Opinions on RAID Setup

crt

Hello,

So, I am new here, and new to SSDs.

I am running a fresh win 7 x64 on a 2xF60 RAID 0 setup, with ATTO I get these results, which seem on par with other's if I looked correctly. Am i correct?

Of course, I welcome tips and tricks on how to improve speed, you know how it is, even if you got infinity MB/s you would still be happier with infinity + 1 :D

Also, I:

-moved the pagefile to a regular hard drive (I do have 8GB of ram, so I don't think it will be used a lot)

-Moved temp folders and browser cache folders to the HDD.

To improve the life of the SSD.

I am reluctant to disable superfetch, as from what I know, it loads stuff into RAM for faster access, which I don't see as a bad sign.

I am also trialing diskeeper with the hyperfast thing enabled (and will buy it if it's OK), is this a wise choice, anything else I am missing?

Thank you in advance

Untitled.png.7ed3e4921f400044b7b1c6d9c41a2b20.png

The only way for RAID to support TRIM is for the RAID software / hardware to support it. Totally out of Corsair's hands.

That I understand, since it's up to the high level logic to send the trim commands to the SSD. Since windows itself probably doesn't know it's on raid, it's up to the lower step - raid driver, raid controller.

And is there any hardware/software that supports it (specialized Raid controller add-on cards etc)?

That I understand, since it's up to the high level logic to send the trim commands to the SSD. Since windows itself probably doesn't know it's on raid, it's up to the lower step - raid driver, raid controller.

And is there any hardware/software that supports it (specialized Raid controller add-on cards etc)?

You can do IDLE GC to help restore some performance of the SSD, make sure though that you have the HDD power setting under your power plan set to never turn off. Just log out when you are done, or you can let it sit in the bios overnight.

Sandfore Idle GC is not that great and is actually slow compared to the Indilinx controller of the past, so it may take upwards of 8 hours for a good IDLE GC.

I have a LSI Host Bus Adapter SAS Controller (LSI SAS 9211-8i) and after calling LSI support I could not get a definitive answer; they were stuck on how it is up to the drive itself to run the TRIM process... And though I really dont have any way to test it aside from getting my SSDs how I want them and then reguarly checking the performance to see if there is a drop, I am pretty certain it does not support TRIM in a stripe. I have read several articles as well referenced in wiki posts that talk about intel stating there currently is no support for TRIM in a raid array. I have seen some posts on these corsair forums that say Diskeeper with I-FAAST®? will do the same thing as TRIM though so maybe that is a necessity when it comes to raiding ssds.

• Corsair Employee
TRIM is a command and it would have to pass it through the controller on the MB to get to the SSD drives; And all of our SSD drives we offer all support trim however there are no raid drivers that I am aware of that officially pass the TRIM command. However. the latest Intel and AMD chipset drivers are rumored to work with some configurations but no official statements at this time that I am aware of.

TRIM is a command and it would have to pass it through the controller on the MB to get to the SSD drives; And all of our SSD drives we offer all support trim however there are no raid drivers that I am aware of that officially pass the TRIM command. However. the latest Intel and AMD chipset drivers are rumored to work with some configurations but no official statements at this time that I am aware of.

Okay; thank you. So what alternatives do people use if they raid stripe their ssds? I have personally confirmed that raiding them increases their performance particularly in the mb/s side of things, but it doesn't sound worth it if a month goes by and the array is slower than a drive that's been able to have TRIM performed.

Quick search around the Internet finds that there is still no word on a RAID controller with TRIM support yet. Haven't delved too much into AMD's RAID Driver as my AMD box is a long ways from where I'm at right now. I do know that Intel's RAID Driver will pass on TRIM if the drive is set up as a standalone disk when the BIOS is set to RAID, but not when you've got two of them in RAID 0.

Might see something about it sometime this year though.

• Corsair Employee

Humm is that not what I stated a few posts ago?

Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post

Archived