Corsair Community

3rd Party lighting possible?

momorious

I just remembered that some Corsair staff said last year in an interview that they plan to make an "all-in-one" RGB software which can also control 3rd party lighting like MSI Mystic Light and Asus Aura Sync and that they even have a working prototype of that software.

Is this something which is planned for iCUE in the (hopefully near) future?

I would LOVE to control my G.Skilll RGB Ram and my X62 Kraken within iCUE so it gets in sync completely with all the other Corsair products of my system because those two parts of my system are always just white because you cant assign any specific game profiles to different lighting modes of these products :(

It's been mentioned as a proof of concept, specifically with MSI motherboards.

I would be very surprised if they would control products from other vendors that are in direct competition with Corsair's offerings, however. There would also need to be a public API exposed for integration and control ... can't have any of those shenanigans like EVGA pulled with their RGB Sync. Most of the motherboard manufacturers do have this (MSI, Asus, Gigabyte all have SDKs).

I bet they will have something eventually for motherboards, though there is a lot of deviation between the types of LED setups on motherboards. Some motherboards only have one zone, some have many, lots have RGB Headers, some of those are digital. As a lot of the motherboard manufactures have SDKs available, I could see some small control of the boards LEDs, though I doubt I will see full control Gigabyte's ~4 RGB zones and headers. I am betting they will do something simple and treat your board as the same zone. i.e. all colors match, and it can do pulse, blink, or static on, etc.

I could see them selling a new device that allows for multi-zone analog RGB control for other devices. This would make sense as a lot of other companies make LED addons that Corsair doesn't market an alternatives. i.e. Custom water cooling market

In all honesty, I think they would be hard pressed for them to add G.skill RGB control into the tool as it is a direct competitor, even though it is widely agreed the G.skill has the best looking RGB RAM.

So in all what DevBiker said.

G.Skill Ram COULD be controlled via Asus Aura Sync so as long iCUE can control Motherboards of Asus with Aura Sync you could also control the Gskill Ram.. And yes, they are looking absolutely perfect <3 but they just dont fit in my RGB concept now with iCUE so I really hope they add at least Asus Aura Sync :)

If you look at the SDKs from the various vendors, they do provide the capability to query the device capabilities and available zones. I would certainly expect that Corsair, if and when they go down this path, would use those capabilities. That said, from what I understand, most of the motherboards simply don't have the capabilities or frame rates to match what Corsair's dedicated hardware is capable of.

That said, each vendor implements this in their own unique way, with their own unique quirks. While there are software architectural design patterns to handle these difference, it's still a bit of work to make it all seamless and integrated.

Brightness and static color control would be great only features to start out with. It might be a great background effect for Corsair. Should be much easier to implement, than some other complex patterns.

It could also be a good talking point for people to buy into Corsair. Their software is the best hands down right now. I bought the LNP the day they released the iCue, because they released it. I want that functionality and many others as well. No one wants to have 4 apps to control software

Archived