Corsair Community

Turning PAT ON with Intel 865/875 Boards

MR_UK

All, I have an Intel 865 chipset board, and have been trying with out luck to get the PC to function with PAT turned on. The board has Corsair PC3200LL DDR 400 memory fitted, and would crash with PAT turned on. I changed the memory for some PC3500 (XXXX) DDR 433 memory and now I can turn PAT on and get great performance. If wanting to turn PAT on should we be buying memory that will run well above the set speed in the BIOS due to PAT ?.

• Corsair Employee
Well its not that its a module issue other than the actual things that take place when you try to use MB makers performance settings. Or in other words the make of the module has nothing to do with it only the IC's that are used on that module with the settings that you are actually running at and probably like Cass 2-2-2-5 would be what’s actually getting set with this performance option. And with this chipset Rev C IC's from Winbond will not run at those settings.

Hi Sorry about the use of a banned work in my last post, but I am trying to help users to get the PAT working, and in my tests I have found that if the memory is PC3200 and the bios is set for PC3200 the chances are that when turning PAT on the PC will crash. I did not want to mention the banned work but I did not want to imply to users that Cosair PC3500 chips will sort all thier problems, as I tested them and it was better, but still crashed.

Hi Sorry about the use of a banned work in my last post, but I am trying to help users to get the PAT working, and in my tests I have found that if the memory is PC3200 and the bios is set for PC3200 the chances are that when turning PAT on the PC will crash. I did not want to mention the banned work but I did not want to imply to users that Cosair PC3500 chips will sort all thier problems, as I tested them and it was better, but still crashed. In my tests I found that setting the PERFORMANCE mode did not change the ram timings, if I got it right I think PAT automaticly adjusts bus speeds depending on the PERFORMANCE setting, So with PERFOMance setting set to TURBO you would be very lucky to get PC3200 to work. Regards Andy S.

• Corsair Employee
Andy If you want this option I would only use a module that the MB maker has approved with this setting. As this setting and many other types of performance options made by the MB maker will make changes that are not published. I am sorry but we cannot produce a product for something that there is no defined setting or spec. And many times the performance options will benchmark slower than setting the timings manually. Just because PAT is enabled that does not mean the best performance.

Ramguy I agree that a module can not be made for a spec which is unknown, but you comment about performance and PAT is hard to understand. Have you seen a PC which has its performance set to TURBO (PAT on). ITs like getting a new processor and the machine flys. Regards

Archived