Corsair Community

Computer freezes reboots

Daveshq

Would post specs, but was asked to put them in Profile.

So anyway

Bought some memory from Corsair and can't seem to keep my computer running.

Any intense use like video games freezes computer and reboots or i have to hard reboot.

First signs of a problem are usually keyboard lights turn off mouse quits working.

Any help appreciated.

Specs in your profile is the best approach

your old memory has no issues I assume?

have you looked in your task mgr to insure windows is utilizing your memory.You should run with stock settings and with less modules to see if the issue still happens

what memory are you having issues with?

the more diagnosing you do,the better you can be helped

The new 12GB TR3X6G1600C8D (3x2)x2 is the memory giving me grief right now.

The previous memory (3x2) 6GB Corsair CM3X2G1600C9D3 that came with my Alienware ALX worked fine.

Tweaked some of the settings in BIOS and it doesn't crash as often now. Still unstable though. PRIME95 will crash it within 1 second lol.

Items i changed and (previous setting)

Intel turbo mode tech Disabled (Enabled)

Spread Spectrum Disabled (Enabled)

Memory Ratio 8 (Auto)

DDR 3 Memory Voltage 1.60V (Auto)

TCL 8 (9)

TRCD 8 (9)

TRP 8 (9)

TRAS 21 (24)

Blk 160 (133)

Dynamic CPU Vcore +240Mv (Auto)

One set of (3x2) does the same thing (crashing) btw.

Task manager looks normal i'm on another computer right now or i'd give percentages.

Where are all the Corsair employees? lol

Its the weekend but they still come here on their own dime ...

It's possible there is a problem with the memory. You can run MemTest86 to see and make sure windows is recognizing all your sticks. However, since you've changed your overclock as well, we might want to start there first.

Right now you are running your memory below 1333 (1280). I can't say for certain if this is causing the problem, but I am sure you bought this kit to run at 1600. Go ahead and enable the XMP profile in the Dell BIOS and let's get your overclock set where you would like it.

If it doesn't do it automatically, change your memory multiplier from 8 to 10 for a 160 BCLK. 160x10=1600MHz. The XMP profile should change the voltage to 1.65. You may be able to cut it back down later, but leave it there for now. Memory timings should also be automatically set. Leave Turbo and Spread Spectrum off. Your VCore additive seems high, but all my work is on a 930 so I don't want to make a definitive statement. I might change it back to Auto for now. Auto is always going to provide a good chunk of voltage and then you can tune it down after it gets stable.

Try that and see if you have better luck.

If I am right you have al the ram places filled up, so reading this, I say your IMC of your 970 can't cope this memory with al banks occupied. Try to run the memory on stock speed and every thing on auto, if that don't work, look if your uncore is twice as the speed of the memory. Like 1600mhz memory is minimum 3200 uncore. With the 970 you don't have to raise the baseclock for getting 1600 mhz, only with the 920/940 you had to. Put your ram at 1,65 a 1,66 volt, put your QPI on 4.8GT/s, set IMC/VTT voltage on 1,35v, keep this voltage always in the 0,5v Marge with your cpu voltage, like cpu 1.45v you keep your IMC between 0,95 to 1,45 volt, but I always used 1,3 to 1,35 volt on it and cpu had 1,4volt on it, 1,35 a 1,36 volt is still safe for the IMC, above 1,36v can hurt your IMC, and try again, if that works, put the memory on 1600mhz, do this manually and not with xmp. A golden rule with x58 is to do everything manual. If you get your memory stable then you can overclock your cpu. 1600mhz is overclock memory, golden rule is to overclock one part at the time and then you can use that data to combine the overclocks, but most of the time you will have to bring down the speed little of the memory or cpu. It's a silicon lottery with cpu, memory,gpu and even the mobo chip( with some old mobo's).Also try to test each stick at the time and try 1 memory stick in every ram bank, this will tell you if it is the mainboard that makes problems or if the memory is faulty, between switching the sticks for testing always load the bios defaults or reset the bios, the bios then have to load the timings and volt of that stick and will not use the previous settings. If nothing works, send the sticks back and try a 3 x4gb set. So between testing the ram and banks always reset the bios or load defaults.

Ok sorry for delay i've been away. Removed the overclock to just try and see if i could get the memory sticks working with no joy. Still reboots under intense gameplay.

Intel turbo mode tech Enabled

Spread Spectrum Enabled

Memory Ratio Auto

DDR 3 Memory Voltage Auto

TCL 8 (9)

TRCD 8 (9)

TRP 8 (9)

TRAS 24

That's unfortunate. It would have been the easiest fix. How did you get onto this model from Corsair? When I ran the memory finder for an R1, I don't get any hits back. The R2 comes back with a similar model, but not the one you have. I've never known the Alienware boards to be all that picky, so I am not particularly convinced the memory is incompatible. On more than one occasion I threw random tri-channel sticks into my R1 and it booted right up and ran XMP settings. I'm at an impasse for the moment, particularly if stability isn't improved on just 3 sticks.

You are correct that all 6 slots are taken so i researched it online. Another person with this issues lowered memory Blk 133 times Memory Ratio 10 to 1333Mhz and that seems to have helped.

I can play games so far with no issue. No freeze ups or Bsods yet.

Still crashes with Prime95 after a short time.

• Corsair Employee

What about when you use TR3X6G1600C8D on its own? populating just 2/4/6 DIMM slots under default setting in your BIOS? Do you get the same behavior?

I would try running 6GB set at the time and see if the system is stable, if it is, my guess is. those two sets of RAM are not playing well together.

Tried each set separately. First set ran ok then computer froze. Second set ran shorter then blue screen. Tried the 1333mhz trick on each set separately both crashed.

Tried original memory and now that's acting up too.....damn.

• Corsair Employee

You said that you've been running the RAM that came with the system with no issues prior to using the new sets, were you running the original memory at 1600Mhz or 1333?

Also, when you put the new set in (TR3X6G1600C8D) and load default settings, at what speed is your BIOS setting the memory freq? 1333Mhz or 1066Mhz?

Original RAM at 1600Mhz

Settings for TR3X6G1600C8D i tried at 1600 Mhz first with all 6 sticks (12GB)

Tried at 6 again at 1333 Mhz with longer play time.

Yesterday was downloading GTA V. To avoid issues i went back to original RAM. and original settings. Having same issues with original RAM on default settings as i am with the new 12GB memory.

Sorry, I am afraid I am stumped as well, particularly since now the old kit is acting up too. If you have tried all 3 sets individually, after going to into the BIOS and using the "load optimal defaults" setting with no other tweaking, then you may have to consider it's not the memory.

If you haven't already, try posting the same information in the Alienware owner's club forum. There are some very knowledgeable people in there. And if it's not the memory, perhaps someone else has had a similar issue. My Alienware X58 was never picky about memory and I haven't encountered this problem. I am sorry I can't be more help.

• Corsair Employee
Not to be a pessimist, but i'll assume this is one of those what the heck situations that i'll never be able to fix due to Corsairs lack of technical answers.

Bummer checking back with no answer.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner..

Based on what you have posted above, It's becoming more like its unrelated to RAM, since the old RAM is behaving the same way. You have the latest BIOS for this system right?

When you said that you were able to run the system longer by lowering the DRAM freq to 1333Mhz and shorter play time at 1600Mhz, that would suggest that your memory controller is having a hard time keeping your system stable at higher clocks. Have you tried raising the DRAM voltage manually to 1.65v after loading default settings?

Another thing that is worth trying. Since you have a gulftown CPU, check your QPI/DRAM voltage and make sure it's not higher than 1.25v.

Sorry if i sounded impatient which i'm really not. Annoyed at the computer ...yes.

Will try soon and thanks for the help.

BTW the settings in my Bios gives me voltage settings such as +20mV and up. Any ideas how to find out what the actual Voltage is and how much to add/take away?

• Corsair Employee

You should be able to enter the values manually rather than doing increments.

The actual voltage is in your BIOS. Remember to load optimized defaults before changing anything. Once you have done that, looks for your DRAM voltage and manually type in 1.65v. Then look for your QPI/DRAM voltage, and again manually type in 1.25v.

Archived