Corsair Community

K90 Not working during post

Sem

I have a new K90 and it does not working during the post stage

if i try and press the delete key to enter the bios or press F8 to do a selective bootup the keys are not recognized

but once windows boots the keyboard works perfectly

is this a known issue

the keyboard is not plugged into a usb3 slot

Mobo = P8Z68 Deluxe

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so is this a problem with corsair or my mobo

its just i've only had it for a week and i can still return it for a refund

its strange it did use to work at first

My K90 started doing the same thing after the update. Flashed on a mobo that only has usb 3.0 to begin with (before you updated you thread to say not to use usb 3.0). Had to go into bios and I couldn't, so I read that you have to update your bios. I do that, still doesn't work on post and because of that and new bios, I can't boot into windows due to not being able to change the boot order.

Wow gee thanks corsair.

I reflash on the laptop im using to write this and still doesn't work on post. A 7970 trifire rig unusable because of your pathetic software. Need to buy a working keyboard now.

And the only reason I needed to go into bios was to increase dram voltage or lower timings from default xmp because your crappy ram is failing on me 3rd time in a row.

Fix this or allow us to rollback firmware.

• Corsair Employee
My K90 started doing the same thing after the update. Flashed on a mobo that only has usb 3.0 to begin with (before you updated you thread to say not to use usb 3.0). Had to go into bios and I couldn't, so I read that you have to update your bios. I do that, still doesn't work on post and because of that and new bios, I can't boot into windows due to not being able to change the boot order.

Wow gee thanks corsair.

I reflash on the laptop im using to write this and still doesn't work on post. A 7970 trifire rig unusable because of your pathetic software. Need to buy a working keyboard now.

And the only reason I needed to go into bios was to increase dram voltage or lower timings from default xmp because your crappy ram is failing on me 3rd time in a row.

Fix this or allow us to rollback firmware.

I apologize to hear about your issue. The software is only used for macro recording and does not affect your ability to use the board pre-Windows boot. As a few have mentioned, not all motherboard BIOS is configured for 16-bit keyboards. If the keyboard works in windows, but not in the BIOS, this is an issue you'll have to bring to the manufacturer of your motherboard and see if they have a solution for you.

If you also have an issue with the memory, I recommend a RMA with the link to the left. If this is your third replacement, I'd be more than happy to work with you to determine if the issue is the memory or your system as it is very rare for memory to fail 3x in a row. Set up a RMA and reply to me the case number.

I just registered since I have this same exact issue. Prior to updating from 1.07 to 1.11 the K90 was detected and working in POST but now after updating to 1.11 It is not detected during post. By that I mean I cannot get into the BIOS. This is simply unacceptable.

Has anyone tried the following ?:

1. Clearing CMOS

2. Unplugging both USB cables and plugging them in again

3. Rolling back to 1.07 firmware (via BETA software folder for 2.12 there is a firmware setup for 1.07)

I've a P8Z68-V Gen3 and my K90 works in POST/BIOS with beta firmware (on the K90). Just for information.

MaX.

The Original poster wasn't referring to with 1.07 BETA firmware. He was referring to 1.11.

Edited by Dark Knight

• Corsair Employee
I just registered since I have this same exact issue. Prior to updating from 1.07 to 1.11 the K90 was detected and working in POST but now after updating to 1.11 It is not detected during post. By that I mean I cannot get into the BIOS. This is simply unacceptable.

Has anyone tried the following ?:

1. Clearing CMOS

2. Unplugging both USB cables and plugging them in again

3. Rolling back to 1.07 firmware (via BETA software folder for 2.12 there is a firmware setup for 1.07)

The Original poster wasn't referring to with 1.07 BETA firmware. He was referring to 1.11.

I would not recommend rolling back firmware as the new firmware has resolved many issues. Have you tried a different port on your computer, and not using USB 3.0? Finally, have you also tried on a different system to see if the issue persists?

I would not recommend rolling back firmware as the new firmware has resolved many issues. Have you tried a different port on your computer, and not using USB 3.0? Finally, have you also tried on a different system to see if the issue persists?

The Maximus IV Extreme-Z only has USB3 on the Rear-Panel. That is where my Corsair M90/K90 are plugged into.

I had no issues entering the Bios with 1.04/1.07 Firmware but it is only with 1.11 that I am now encountering this issue. It works fine inside Windows but it simply doesn't want to enter the BIOS with 1.11.

As of now the only way I can see of entering the bios is to have a Secondary/Backup keyboard. That's also an unacceptable workaround and it eliminates the purpose of having a single keyboard to work with.

I'm currently on Bios 1004 but from what I can last recall 3402 only added support for the Corsair M90. I have not tried upgrading the Bios after the Firmware update. You also mentioned not to roll back. Does that mean with 1.07 Firmware installer it is possible to roll-back with 1.11 to 1.07 ?

Edited by Dark Knight

• Corsair Employee

I would recommend updating to the latest BIOS as when I looked up your board, you're a few versions behind. Let me know what happens once you have updated as I'd like to know if it resolves it.

It is not possible nor advised to do a rollback and I highly stress you do not do it until you try updating the BIOS and see if it works. As you can see from our post, 1.11 does resolve MANY issues and it is recommended to keep the update. Have you also tried testing it on another machine as I have suggested?

I would recommend updating to the latest BIOS as when I looked up your board, you're a few versions behind. Let me know what happens once you have updated as I'd like to know if it resolves it.

It is not possible nor advised to do a rollback and I highly stress you do not do it until you try updating the BIOS and see if it works. As you can see from our post, 1.11 does resolve MANY issues and it is recommended to keep the update. Have you also tried testing it on another machine as I have suggested?

I've updated to 3402 and the same issue still persists. The Bios detects the Keyboard but it won't accept any keystrokes from the K90.. I was able to update the Bios using a Backup keyboard.

Edit: Tried different USB ports on the Motherboard. Same issue still persists. Also tried clearing CMOS and Turning off the power supply power.

Update:It worked when trying to get in the BIOS of a Laptop but not on the Maximus IV Extreme-Z

RAM_GUY in the K60-K90 & M60-M90 Update! 06-29-2012 Topic you also said:

IMPORTANT: IF YOUR M60 OR M90 FIRMWARE VERSION IS HIGHER THAN 1.11, OR YOUR K90 FIRMWARE VERSION IS CURRENTLY HIGHER THAN 1.18, DO NOT INSTALL THE INCLUDED FIRMWARE UPDATE, AS YOU WILL BE DOWNGRADING.”

Does this mean that M60/M90 and K90 are shipping with Higher firmware versions than what is currently available. If so then the question is why isn't those Firmware versions available for update on the website and why it isn't posted. In addition what is different from that firmware than the one currently available for download.

Edited by Dark Knight

I'm on that same asus board with the latest bios and my keyboard doesn't work during post either.

Whats the deal? It worked fine pre update.

Thanks for posting and verifying that I am not the only Maximus IV Extreme-Z owner with that same issue. This is really frustrating and unacceptable in terms of Quality Control and Assurance on firmware.

Same issue and the same instance where it worked pre-firmware update. According to RAM GUY we are now supposed to wait for ASUS to release a BIOS update for this Keyboard for the new firmware.

That brings up another question since it seems now that each time the Firmware is updated on either Mouse/Keyboard would it require for the Motherboard manufacture to release bios updates that are compatible with the newer firmware ?

• Corsair Employee
Does this mean that M60/M90 and K90 are shipping with Higher firmware versions than what is currently available. If so then the question is why isn't those Firmware versions available for update on the website and why it isn't posted. In addition what is different from that firmware than the one currently available for download.

I wanted to address this specific question to avoid mis-information. We will always have the highest firmware version available for download through our website. The message you quoted implying a higher firmware version wasn't intended to have people assume there was a higher version out there. Instead the message was so that in the future when we released newer versions of the firmware and found the older firmware from a different site, they would not downgrade accidentally. We apologize for any confusion.

I have the Maximus Extreme-Z as well which only has USB 3.0. I fixed the POST issue by reflashing the firmware on the K90 to the beta 2.12 firmware using a laptop. I had to reflash 2 times in a row for it to work on the Extreme-Z during POST. Went and fixed the boot order so my computer was usable again. Once I had confirmed that old firmware works, I tested with USB 2.0. I plugged in a USB 2.0 header into the motherboard, reflashed to the latest firmware, rebooted and once again, doesn't work in POST. So USB 3.0, 2.0 doesn't matter. I'm using the latest firmware 3402, which has in the release notes better compatibility with USB devices. I guess that still doesn't include K90.

I'm not going to RMA the ram soon I don't think as it requires sending the whole kit and not just the single faulty ram. Won't be able to use my computer without any ram and I need all 16GB regularly. Shipping overseas at my expense and waiting a month for a replacement will be too much hassle and easier to just buy new ram and then shipping it off. Release your platinum ram already :biggrin:

I'm not going to RMA the ram soon I don't think as it requires sending the whole kit and not just the single faulty ram. Won't be able to use my computer without any ram and I need all 16GB regularly. Shipping overseas at my expense and waiting a month for a replacement will be too much hassle and easier to just buy new ram and then shipping it off. Release your platinum ram already :biggrin:
Contact customer support (free call if you use Skype) and ask for an advanced RMA. That way there's no downtime.

I'm also experiencing this issue with my K90 keyboard. My system is also a dual boot system, so the Windows boot manager comes up where I can choose between my Windows 7 installation on my primary SSD (default) or the GRUB2 boot manager (for linux distros) on my secondary SSD. By default, the Windows 7 installation is used after a 5-second timeout or until I manually press the Enter key.

Everything was working perfectly when my K90 keyboard was using the firmware that came with the Beta 2.12 software. However, I recently had to update the firmware for my keyboard to 1.18 and the software to 1.0.0.26 because I was unable to create some macros for some reason.

After I updated the firmware and software for my K90, I discovered that I was unable to manually start Windows in the Windows boot manager using the Enter-key, so I went on to check if my K90 was working at all during POST, which it didn't.

I tried using different USB2 ports for my keyboard, and entering the BIOS with a backup keyboard and making sure that legacy support for both USB2 and USB3 was enabled, but nothing worked. All my other keyboards and mice seem to be working in BIOS and during POST (even my Logitech G500 which is connected through my K90 keyboard).

Suspecting that the firmware update of my K90 was causing this problem, I went on this forum and found this thread.

So when I found this thread, I saw that we were advised to update our BIOS to the latest version. I was two versions behind on my motherboard's (ASUS Rampage IV Extreme) BIOS, but updating to the latest version (1404, released less than a month ago) didn't resolve my problem.

Another thing I noticed after updating the firmware for my K90, was that my motherboard said it was detecting 1 keyboard and 2 mice during POST, and I certainly do not have 2 mice connected to my system, only my Logitech G500 mouse connected through my K90 as I mentioned before.

Some of you also mentioned that motherboard manufacturers have to add support for 16-bit keyboards for the K90 to work during POST and in BIOS, but I find that really strange because my K90 was working perfectly fine in BIOS and during POST prior to the firmware update of my keyboard. The latest firmware update for the K90 didn't just "turn it into" a 16-bit keyboard, did it?

Edited by MorganHJK

Some of you also mentioned that motherboard manufacturers have to add support for 16-bit keyboards for the K90 to work during POST and in BIOS, but I find that really strange because my K90 was working perfectly fine in BIOS and during POST prior to the firmware update of my keyboard. The latest firmware update for the K90 didn't just "turn it into" a 16-bit keyboard, did it?

That's a good question actually since you brought it up. This ponders the question of whether the Keyboard was working in 8-bit mode prior to this Firmware update.

Same problem here. I've my new computer built up few days ago. BIOS updated before installing windows. K90 worked perfectly fine during POST before i went to the Corsair website and downloaded drivers and software. After installed FW1.18, it's not working during POST. :(

I'm currently using Rampage IV Extreme as MB. so is it a BIOS supporting prob or K90 firmware prob?

• Corsair Employee
The firmware didn't change the keyboard from 8 bit to 16bit. Its actually always been a 16bit keyboard. However, we are still investigating this issue. It may not be an overnight fix so I don't want to mislead you all into thinking something is coming quick, but we'll do our best to resolve it as soon as possible.