Corsair Community

M95 discontinued? How about bringing back the M90?

Ascaris

I just noticed that the M95 is no longer listed in the products page. I assume this means it has been discontinued.

My experience with the M95 has shown it to be very problematic. If I have it set to software playback in the Corsair software, it reverts to hardware upon a resume from system standby, even though the "Use hardware playback" box remains unchecked. This, like all of the bugs below, is a problem that exists with all the M95s I've tried (and by now that has been quite a lot).

When using the onboard profiles in hardware playback mode, the firmware inappropriately sends button-up events for the two main buttons (that are still held down) when a recorded macro stops repeating. It is really a huge bug for mouse turners in MMOs, as pressing the 2 main mouse buttons is how you move. Trigger a repeating macro (the only way to send a repeated keystroke) with one of the thumb buttons and your character stops dead, even though you still have the "go" buttons pressed. It does not do that in software playback mode.

If I use any of the mouse buttons to bring the computer out of standby, the memory of the M95 is wiped, and it reverts to the factory default profiles. I have to go in and re-save the profiles to it every time I do this. Now I have Windows set to only come out of standby when I press the power button, but the mouse should be able to tolerate having a button pressed in standby without developing amnesia

So hardware mode doesn't work right and software mode, which works properly, reverts to hardware mode every time I put the puter to sleep. Not good.

The most annoying issuem though, is the lack of durability of the buttons. Not the switches themselves, but the little plastic bits that flex and allow the buttons to work-- the hinges, I guess they might be called. Two hinges in particular are not up to the task of being present on a gaming mouse-- the DPI-up button (which I have redefined to TAB for select enemy) and the rearmost of the bottom row of buttons on the left side of the mouse. The DPI button fails and falls right off, while the other button becomes loose on one side and has poor feel and tactile feedback, and sometimes gets stuck.

Part of being a gaming mouse is being tough-- gamers can be hard on their stuff. Compared to a lot of people, I am fairly gentle with my stuff, but I'm not babying it either, and I should not have to. Typically, my M95 has lasted no more than two months before the DPI-up button falls off. Corsair, to their credit, has always been excellent about replacing them, but I'd hoped that they would get tired of replacing so many mice (I can't be the only one having issues) and fix all of these issues here someday.

It seems like the fix is just to call it quits on the design, which is really unfortunate: despite the many issues, I still use and like the M95, as nothing else has the right configuration for me.

The M95 is a derivative of the M90. It's supposed to be the same thing other than two changes: the M95 has a higher DPI sensor and the buttons are easier to press and are rated for more clicks than before.

Sounds great, but it's not. The M90's buttons, though a little stiffer than the M95's, were much more durable. My M90 lasted nearly a year before I had to RMA it for reasons unrelated to any of the above (the laser sensor had failed). None of the buttons broke or fell off, and none of the bugs I listed here affected the M90.

Unfortunately, when I sent the M90 back, I got a M95 in return, and when I saw how problematic the M95 was, I called Corsair and was told the M90s were all gone (which I expected, but it does not hurt to ask).

I guess the Scimitar is supposed to replace the M95. Sigh... yet another "keyboard under the thumb" MMO mouse. There are already a ton of those on the market-- why Corsair felt the need to have a "me too" product in that lineup escapes me. The thing I like about the M90/95 is that I can grip the mouse firmly (I claw any mouse I use because I have large hands) between my thumb and ring finger (the pinkie floats) and not press buttons I don't want to press. I want the buttons to be easily accessible to the thumb, but not under it all the time. The M95 gives me nine thumb buttons all arranged near the thumb, and I use them all.

I'd like to see another revision of the M90 series that fixes the problems above but leaves the shape and button configuration unchanged. You there, Corsair?

Edited by Ascaris
typos

The thing I like about the M90/95 is that I can grip the mouse firmly (I claw any mouse I use because I have large hands) between my thumb and ring finger (the pinkie floats) and not press buttons I don't want to press. I want the buttons to be easily accessible to the thumb, but not under it all the time. The M95 gives me nine thumb buttons all arranged near the thumb, and I use them all.

The two programmable buttons to the left of the left main button (the DPI up and down buttons by default on the M95) are also something I'm not willing to do without. When I went looking for a replacement for another maker's gaming mouse years ago, this was one of the things I had to have, and your M90 did.

There are already a ton of mice on the market that have the same design as the Scimitar, and several were available years ago when I bought the M90. I didn't buy any of those other ones, though. They weren't what I was looking for. The M90 was. You got the design right with the M90, and wisely kept it for the M95.

Now, what I like about the M90 above the M95 was the reliability of the former. All the details of the issues I have had with the M95 are in the original post. But even with all of that hassle, I stuck with the M95. If you could just tweak it to have the button durability and bug-free firmware of the M90, you'd have the best gaming mouse ever made. IMHO, of course.

• Corsair Employee
I see there's a new Scimitar Black instead now, just saw the tweet :p:

:D:

The thing I like about the M90/95 is that I can grip the mouse firmly (I claw any mouse I use because I have large hands) between my thumb and ring finger (the pinkie floats) and not press buttons I don't want to press. I want the buttons to be easily accessible to the thumb, but not under it all the time. The M95 gives me nine thumb buttons all arranged near the thumb, and I use them all.

The two programmable buttons to the left of the left main button (the DPI up and down buttons by default on the M95) are also something I'm not willing to do without. When I went looking for a replacement for another maker's gaming mouse years ago, this was one of the things I had to have, and your M90 did.

There are already a ton of mice on the market that have the same design as the Scimitar, and several were available years ago when I bought the M90. I didn't buy any of those other ones, though. They weren't what I was looking for. The M90 was. You got the design right with the M90, and wisely kept it for the M95.

Now, what I like about the M90 above the M95 was the reliability of the former. All the details of the issues I have had with the M95 are in the original post. But even with all of that hassle, I stuck with the M95. If you could just tweak it to have the button durability and bug-free firmware of the M90, you'd have the best gaming mouse ever made. IMHO, of course.

You have a very interesting point. Let me discuss this with our HID PM and see what he says. Maybe it's worth bringing back a similar design like the M90/M95? But that is not my call.

The thing I like about the M90/95 is that I can grip the mouse firmly (I claw any mouse I use because I have large hands) between my thumb and ring finger (the pinkie floats) and not press buttons I don't want to press. I want the buttons to be easily accessible to the thumb, but not under it all the time.

This explicitly is why I purchased a M95 too. I'm glad Corsair are willing to considering keeping the design.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with everything said. But another thing is with the grid pattern people with bigger thumbs like myself hit multiple buttons at once. The M95 had everything spaced and shaped perfectly that I could always know what button I was hitting everytime. I would love to see the return of the M95 as mine just broke.

I had an M95, but just recently had to RMA it to the company I purchased it from because the buttons refused to work. (I suspect the internal memory chips that stored button profiles died or something)

Sadly, the company is 'upgrading' me to a Scimitar. I mean, it's got more buttons, but I vastly preferred the layout on the M95. It was so much easier to tell what button I was pressing.

I've not actually received the Scimitar yet, but the M95 will be a very hard mouse to beat.

• Corsair Employee

Sadly, the company is 'upgrading' me to a Scimitar. I mean, it's got more buttons, but I vastly preferred the layout on the M95. It was so much easier to tell what button I was pressing.

I've not actually received the Scimitar yet, but the M95 will be a very hard mouse to beat.

Give it a fair chance..Who knows, you may even like the SCIMITAR more? :D: Honestly I like the feel of the SCIMITAR more because it fits comfortably in my hand. It just "feels" right

• 1 month later...

I just received my Scimitar yesterday after breaking the axle of my second M90 scroll wheel. I tend to be somewhat "enthusiastic" at times with my mice... Other than the fact the M90's wheel button was entirely too flimsy and tended to stick, I loved the spacing and placement of the buttons for my thumb.

The Scimitar looks real nice and the LEDs are a nice feature. I just hope I don't have the problems others have reported with the side buttons. My only concern right now is clicking on side buttons I don't want to when I reposition the mouse. I guess time will tell! :)

• 3 months later...
Yup, I want the side buttons design from the M95 back. That's exactly the reason I bought this mouse in the first place!!! I definately hope my current M95 will last me for years to come as there's nothing else comparable on the market as far as buttons positioning is concerned!

• 5 weeks later...

I use the M95 in MMORPG gaming for the same reasons mentioned above. I have pretty big hands, and I like being able to grip the mouse using my thumb without hitting the thumb buttons. This becomes very important when things get hectic in raids or PvP fights. Before picking up the M95 a few years back, I bought and returned within a day 3 different mice with the same design as the new Scimitar. I just don't understand how people can use a closely-spaced numpad layout right under their thumb. I still wanted the advantage of having all those mouse keybinds, so I looked up the M95 at the recommendation of a raiding buddy and it turned out the be the perfect mouse for me.

I have a brand new in box spare M95 in my drawer, but now that I've found out it's been discontinued I have been searching online sites for another spare JUST IN CASE! I really hope the M95 button layout makes a comeback in future designs, because there really is a market for it and the Scimitar is just too similar to the other designs already out there.

• 5 weeks later...
Any news about a new M90/M95 or this idea has been rejected?

Even if the idea was accepted, they can't comment on any unreleased/possible product so you won't get any update. The only way to know the idea was accepted is that you'll see the product released :p:

• 4 years later...
I have 3 M95's and just picked up the last M90 on offerup, I have scoured craigslist, FB Market place and everywhere else I could think of, I completely disassembled one M95 and repaired it. I have several other mouse but nothing out there even comes close to the M90/M95. Corsair has to bring the M90/M95. I would pay double the price if it came back.