Corsair Community

HD140 RGB problem

pber2025

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum or not. I'm installing 5 HD140 fans in my new Obsidian 750D airflow edition. All fans are connected to a 6 port RGB hub and that hub is connected to a Commander Pro. Everything is at the latest firmware and software.

All fans are spinning OK. Problem is only with the RGB part. The fans are connected in the sequence I would like them to be used, using port 1 to 5 on the RGB hub.

At first I only had the two fans connected to port 1 and port 2 with lights on out of the 5 fans connected to the RGB hub. To isolate the problem I switched fan 2 and fan 3 on the RGB hub to see why fan 3 was not lighting up. Once I did this fan 1, 2 and 3 light up, out of sequence but Ok.

So after more tests I figured out that one specific fan needs to be plugged last for all fans to work correctly. If I plug this specific fan in port 2, only fans in port 1 and 2 will turn on. If I plug that fan in port 4, fan in port 1 to 4 will turn on.

In the end I plugged that specific fan in port 5 and change the direction of my sequence and all fans work. So now my fan sequence is 1-5-4-3-2, instead 1-2-3-4-5, not a big deal but I'm curious if someone knows how to fix this.

In my case the problem does not seem to be with the hub, but with one fan. This fan seems to cause all other fans in the sequence not to be detected. So everything works ok if the fan is plugged the last. In my case I have 5 fans so this fan needs to be in port 5 for all 5 fans to work.

The fans are a cascading register with the two pins in the middle of the fan's LED cable being a data out to the fan and data return from the fan. If one fan makes all the fans after it not work, then that fan is not continuing the cascade (There's no such thing as detecting, mind you. The LED controller just sends out data blindly and hopes the fan LEDs all do their job).

If all the LEDs on the fan that kills its successors work, then either the last LED has a failed pin to the data return, or the data return wire in the cable is faulty.

Options at that point are "wiggle it and hope it works", "move that fan to spot five", or "RMA the fan with Corsair"

Thanks, for the explanation, this makes perfect sense. Since I don't plan on adding more fans to the case I moved it to port 5 on the hub and will keep it like this. That fan is attached to the AIO at the top of the case so to remove it would mean removing the AIO, not impossible, but a major pain.

Archived