Corsair Community

H60 rattling at start then stopping

kevinu

Hi, This is my first time on this forum. I have read about some of the rattling issues so im curious about mine. In all the posts i've read there is a consistent rattle. I just got my computer a month ago with the corsair h60 water cooler and it started to rattle on start up about a week ago. However, after a minute the rattle goes away so it must be a cold thing. My question is should i do something about it since it stops is it ok?

Thanks for the advise.

So the rattle is at boot/wake? A few seconds? Or more like a minute or two?

Standard first step is to make sure the header powering the H60 is set to 100%, PWM, Full Speed (Asus Q-Fan), or disabled in the Advanced BIOS. All of those will force a constant 12v. Any strange deviation in pump speed? It should stay relatively steady just above 4000 rpm.

If that checks out, try and rule out the fan. If you are sure it's the pump, then OK. Otherwise, disconnect the fan on boot to make sure it is not the primary agitator. A fan on the edge of its start-up voltage might shudder enough to draw attention.

im using corsair link but its hard to tell which fan or pump is what but i think the pump is running at 4213 ish.. it goes up and down but only by a max of 100 or so... so always above 4000. It definitely is the pump because the sound is right above the cpu. I'll check the bios to see about constant voltage.. im new so not quite sure how to tell but ill have a look around.

I also have asus AI suite 3 running and it says AIO pump is at 4218 but it goes to 4313 at times... again never below 4000. It also says w_pump+ is 1082 rpm... i think thats the water cooler fan.

Sorry im totally new to this so i'm trying to describe what im seeing.

No, I think pump speed is normal and so is that variance. The polling rate is a lot slower than the pump which makes it look more jumpy. Also, based on that speed you probably do have the header set properly to 100%.

So you have the fan on AIO/W-Pump? Do you have any control? On some Asus boards you can turn that back into a regular functioning CHA fan header. On others, you’re stuck at 100%. For the H60 with separate fan and pump power leads, that W-Pump header is actually useful and provides the constant 12v the pump needs. The fan can go on cpu fan to prevent boot error and for normal control (cpu temp only on cpu fan). This is not related to your problem, but might make control easier.

I am not quite sure what to think. This is not commonly reported and the logical cause is not the source. I would submit a support ticket to Corsair and see what they say. Keep an eye/ear on it and if it starts to diminish or the noise progresses, it will be time to use the RMA service. For now, I don’t see a reason to be nervous. This could be something as simple as air bubbles collecting in the pump in the off state. If the sound becomes piercingly loud or increases in duration, then I would not wait. Annoying sounds are not supposed to be part of the experience.

Archived