Corsair Community

RMA Downgrade

Dpasalis

Because when i asked the shop about the downgrade, they said: "We cant do anything, we just RMA the PSU to Corsair, the downgrade was from them not from us". So i thought asking here, why the downgrade happened.

The shop is in the Authorized Premier Resellers List

• Corsair Employee

If the PSU is discontinued, there are substitute PSUs that are offered instead.

Is the PSU an AX1200 or an AX1200i?

If the PSU was an AX1200, then you certainly weren't downgraded. Yes... typically AX is better than HX, but if you're talking about a PSU that was made within 5 to 6 years apart, the HX is WAY better than the old AX's. The current AX series is Platinum. The old AX series, which the 1200W was part of, was only Gold and HX only Bronze. And that's not the only difference.

What's the name and the location of the shop?

• Corsair Employee
The PSU is AX 1200

Considering that you are Jonnyguru the reviewer, isn't AX series OEM by Flextronics and HX CWT? Isn't Flex considered better than CWT according to your Site reviews, which i used to make the choice in the 1st place.

It's a six year old PSU. Technology changes. Also, CWT's build quality has improved over the years.

An HX Platinum is NOT a downgrade from an AX1200 Gold. Regardless of the OEM.

Initially, I thought you were talking about the AX1200i. To which, an HX would be a downgrade.

AX and AXi for the most part are considered about the same, with the main difference being Corsair Link and Plat vs Gold (some even think AX is higher quality than AXi, even ur site has a higher score on the old series). How can HX be a downgrade from AXi but an upgrade from AX, which is a minor downgrade from AXi.

• Corsair Employee

No. It's not. You're wrong. The only similarity is that they're both built by Flex. Even those two PSUs are two years apart. AX1200i has almost nothing in common internally than the AX1200.

I always tell people you can't take a review from 5 to 10 years ago and make a direct comparison with one done within the same year because PSUs improve over the years and the scoring scale has to adjust for those improvements each year.

Just look at the raw data instead of the final score.

AX1200 regulation on the +12V saw a 0.08V drop in voltage going from 100% to 10%. HX1200 only dropped 0.06.

AX1200 ripple was 20~29mV of ripple on the +12V. HX1200 showed only 17mV at full load.

AX1200 has a Yate Loon DBB fan. HX1200 has a true FDB fan (Protechnic patented bearing licensed from Matsu****a).

Why didn't HX1200 get a 10 for voltage regulation? Because it missed "mythic" voltage regulation levels... yet it was still better than AX1200. Why? Because "mythic" voltage regulation didn't exist in 2010.

AX1200 didn't get a 10 for functionality because there was no way to switch from single to multiple +12V rails. The HX has this feature. The HX1200 got a 9.5 because the caps in the cables made it hard to bend the cables.

HX1200 got a 10 for build quality. When the AX1200 was reviewed, build quality wasn't scored.

So if you think HX is a downgrade because you're looking at the final score between two reviews done seven years apart, you're not using your noggin. ;)

• Corsair Employee
Maybe i was a bit negative towards the HX series (cause of rumours of defective units and me not having a warranty anymore). But your post made me see the advantages of HX series over AX.

Thanks for your time and help.

What rumors of defective units? I'm pretty sure nobody outside of Corsair has actual data as to how many PSUs Corsair gets back for RMA or not.

So far, the bulk of HX1200's that have come back have been from idiot Cryptocurrency miners that use SATA power on riser cards, daisy chain three or four of them together and burn up the connectors on the PSU... Then they blame the PSU!!!

• Corsair Employee

The wink is an indication of humor. Sarcasm.

I find that on the Internet, most people that suggest not to buy one thing or another don't have any personal experience with said product. There could be one instance, that five different people report on and by the time it gets to the next person, it's interpreted as "five instances".

Like I said, HX PSUs rarely fail. The ones that do are typically user error.

Archived