Corsair Community

corsair dominator platinum ddr4 3ghz red leds?

robinvel

i would love some insight on this. i just built a system and bought this ram based on the knowledge that the led would be subtle and white. Well, i fired up the system they are far from subtle or white, they are in fact glowing red. I would love some advice on how to correct this, especially if someone from team corsair could help. If i dont get any help or another hour or so of searching for a solution doesnt yield success i will be taking my ram back and exchanging it for something else that is just plain black. i really dont want to do this, because i picked this ram specifically for this build.

hey OP after a lot of time (wasted time, you will see why in a second) I have come to the conclusion that there is no true explanation for why our ram Is red. It is not advertised this way, it is not shown this way on the box art, it is not mentioned even a single time on the box. This is why I personally believed it was an issue.

After chatting with corsairs support through a trouble ticket all morning I have come to one of 3 offered solutions, all of which seem to have come from a source of incompetence.

1st reply: "You would need a Commander mini and our CMDAF airflow kits."

to which I replied there is no way it was reasonable to expect someone to buy 100$ worth of proprietary peripherals to change the led color from red, to the advertised and expected white.

2nd reply: "The default color is still white underneath the top heatsink. If you received one with red, please return the kit to the retailer and purchase it from another vendor as we've had some batches go out with the RED LEDs that the red kits should be using as opposed to our regular dominator platinum." Ok, so now I ask which is it? do I need to buy things (not happening) or go on a frustrating and time wasting journey to return my ram to the store an hour away and drive to another retailer to buy another kit and hope they are the proper advertised white led color? my reply was basically this sentiment.

3rd reply: "I'm sorry, but I did not comprehend your issue correctly the first time. For that, I apologize. If you feel the need to return these modules and buy a competitor's, please do so." At this point im not sure what's going on here, im beginning to think he didn't know himself, which is worrisome considering this is someone who has been tasked with aiding this companies customers. Ultimately it would seem His actual solution offered here was to take them back and buy a competitors product. This is your support corsair.........

My reply and last communication: "I don't WANT to buy a competitors products. I want the product I purchased to be as advertised, and as you clearly stating, as intended. Im just trying to understand whats going on here. Its a little ridiculous that the best solution to this issue im having is. Take it back and hop from retailer to retailer looking for your product that is actually sent out in the proper working order.

You have offered me three solutions in the matter of an hour. All of which are entirely different, and all of which reflect negatively upon yourself, and your company. I will be contacting support looking for a supervisor, and reaching out to my corsair contacts on social media.

This experience has been poor, from the purchase to the support, perhaps your greatest support has been your final suggestion/solution and that would be to go with another company."

TL;DR

Corsairs support doesn't even seem to have a concrete answer, and their ultimate solution offered to me was to take it back and buy a competitors product.

@corsair as I told your support rep, as someone who has always bought corsair, even pre ordered my air 740 this morning, im pretty damn disappointed.

• Administrators

CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 kits have white LEDs. If you have a kit that doesn't have white LEDs we can definitely replace it with an RMA.

If you also have a Dominator Airflow Platinum LED fan kit with it the RGB LEDs in the fan kit default to red. You can change the fan kit's RGB LEDs using Corsair Link.

CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 kits have white LEDs. If you have a kit that doesn't have white LEDs we can definitely replace it with an RMA.

If you also have a Dominator Airflow Platinum LED fan kit with it the RGB LEDs in the fan kit default to red. You can change the fan kit's RGB LEDs using Corsair Link.

I do not have the fan kit, I understand that it is by default red. However I do have the model number ram you specified above. I have spoken over the phone and issued trouble tickets for this issue, all of which pointed to the fact that you guys had a large batch run with the incorrect led color. This is evident when I went to the most recent reviews on the products Amazon page.

This build was assembled as part of an Intel Lanfest showcase build. I do not have the luxury of time it takes for RMA turnaround unfortunately, especially when I realize that there is a very real possibility that the ram I recieve would possibly be plagued with the very same issue. Leaving me in an RMA loop so to speak, and the only real solution at that point of just giving in and buying another product potentially from another manufacturer.

This is not the route I wish to take obviously, so if there are any other potential solutions I would be open to them, but the time constraint is a definite issue.

I've confirmed that if you RMA it with us you'd get a white LED kit.

I will trust you on this and do the RMA where basically you hold my money ransom while I keep the old ram. I say we make a wager though, if it shows up red.... you have to shave your beard :sunglasse ..... deal? (obviously a joke, but also a barometer for how sure you are :p)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's funny. Because mine are white, but I want red. I searched the online store for a red kit, but it only show's white and light blue. My local store doesn't carry them in any other color than white and silver.

http://www.corsair.com/en/dominator-platinum-light-bar-upgrade-kit

I sure wish I could find me some reds so I could match it with my mobo. Is there anyway I could get a red light bar kit?

@ Technobeard.

I've been on here with other issues before and you've always been a huge help. So I'm hoping you can help me out regarding my last post.

I would REALLY like to change my silver/white led kit to red. I know that you can buy this type of ram in red, as stated here. But I can't find on your store, a kit that is red, only Arctic White and Cerulean Blue. I'm willing to pay extra to get a red kit. Help me Technobeard Kanobi! You're my only hope!

• 2 months later...

Archived