The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2018, 02:33 AM
invent invent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 938633
invent Reputation: 10
Default Questions Regarding H100i & Corsair LL Fans

Hello all, I am excited to say I recently ordered an h100i v2 and a 3 pack of the beautiful 120mm Corsair LL Fans. I intend on using these in my masterbox lite 3.1 mATX case with my z370-G motherboard and had some questions regarding the optimal way to configure the fans.

To begin, I'm curious to know if it is acceptable to place the radiator fans "outside", on the front under the plastic shroud but outside the metal frame, and the radiator on the other side of the frame. Does anyone know if this will or could damage the radiator from being mounted to metal, and if so, if there is any way to prevent that from happening?

The next idea I had was to run the radiator in PUSH/PULL using the stock h100i fans on the inside of the case. Is it a problem that these fans are different models and are being used in push/pull? How should I wire all the fans up so their speeds work properly?

Finally I was curious as to how I can connect my H100i v2 and my node pro that is included with my 3 fan pack with only one free internal usb2 connector.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate any suggestions or advice on this matter, also if anyone at all can find a case at a reasonable price that has a clear front and is mATX I'm happy to consider ditching my masterbox :p.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 02-02-2018, 05:28 AM
Zotty's Avatar
Zotty Zotty is offline
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: South Staffordshire, England, UK
Posts: 2,209
POST ID # = 938642
Zotty Reputation: 52
Default

Hi buddy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
How should I wire all the fans up so their speeds work properly?

I was curious as to how I can connect my H100i v2 and my node pro that is included with my 3 fan pack with only one free internal usb2 connector.
Really you could do with a Commander Pro in this build....


Take at look at this thread. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880 ,, will help you get your head around LINK and its needs.. Please Don't reply in that thread though.. Come back here with further questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
I'm curious to know if it is acceptable to place the radiator fans "outside", on the front under the plastic shroud but outside the metal frame, and the radiator on the other side of the frame. Does anyone know if this will or could damage the radiator from being mounted to metal, and if so, if there is any way to prevent that from happening?
As long nothing fouls the RAD or the Fans.. cant see why that would not work Dude..


Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Tto run the radiator in PUSH/PULL using the stock h100i fans on the inside of the case. Is it a problem that these fans are different models and are being used in push/pull? How should I wire all the fans up so their speeds work properly?
Nope. not a problem and would be able to Sync both sets of fans in LINK, (I have this set up myself. LL fans on Front and HD fans on the back).

A Commander Pro would be required for you to sync all the Fans Speeds and Curves

Last edited by Zotty; 02-02-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 02-02-2018, 01:31 PM
invent invent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 938699
invent Reputation: 10
Default

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly.

I've read the documentation on the node pro and am curious how my 3 fan pack with RGB is going to connect to the included node pro. On the manual it looks like it only has 2 outputs? So how am I going to individually control the 3 fans fan lighting?
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 02-02-2018, 01:36 PM
invent invent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 938702
invent Reputation: 10
Default

Actually according to this document found on the 3 pack LL downloads page, there are 6 fan connections so I should be fine? Also does the pump go into this controller or into the MOBO?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I've never used an AIO as a cooler before and also am not very familiar with corsair link.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 02-02-2018, 01:49 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 5,501
POST ID # = 938706
DevBiker Reputation: 76
Default

Take a look at the RGB FAQ (it's in mine and Zotty's signatures).

The fans will have 2 connectors. 1 is for fan speed control (PWM) and one is for LED control. The LED control goes to the Fan Hub and the fan speed control goes to your motherboard or Commander Pro (as Zotty mentioned).

The H100i V2 will have a fan connector to be connected to the Motherboard (CPU_FAN header). Make sure you set that to 100% (and you can review the cooler FAQ, also in our signatures). It will also connect to USB for Link control.

No need to apologize for asking questions! That's what we're here for! ;-)
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 02-02-2018, 04:56 PM
invent invent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 938738
invent Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
No need to apologize for asking questions! That's what we're here for! ;-)
Thanks, I think I have a good plan in place when installing all of this :)

My final concern was that my motherboard has 2 PWM system fan connections and I am curious if there is any, relatively affordable or even free, way to get my 3 LL fans to work with just these 2 connections?

EDIT: I just read this tomshardware post and it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem, so I should just be able to order a PWM fan splitter cable and run that to the 2 front fans?

Last edited by invent; 02-02-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Adding relevant research
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 02-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Zotty's Avatar
Zotty Zotty is offline
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: South Staffordshire, England, UK
Posts: 2,209
POST ID # = 938743
Zotty Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
so I should just be able to order a PWM fan splitter cable and run that to the 2 front fans?
Certainly can duder

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Sorry for asking so many questions, I've never used an AIO as a cooler before and also am not very familiar with corsair link.
Never be sorry for making sure you are armed with the correct information buddy... as said.. we are happy to help and indeed It's why we hang around :)...
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 02-02-2018, 06:56 PM
invent invent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 938760
invent Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotty View Post
Certainly can duder
Never be sorry for making sure you are armed with the correct information buddy... as said.. we are happy to help and indeed It's why we hang around :)...
Thanks, how do I connect the AIO and Node PRO to my one available internal USB.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 02-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Zotty's Avatar
Zotty Zotty is offline
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: South Staffordshire, England, UK
Posts: 2,209
POST ID # = 938765
Zotty Reputation: 52
Default

You could get the nzxt internal usb hub.. I am not at my pc atm so don't have links to hand for you..


Ps. . The Commander Pro has 2 usb hubs.....
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 02-04-2018, 11:35 PM
invent invent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 939120
invent Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotty View Post
You could get the nzxt internal usb hub.. I am not at my pc atm so don't have links to hand for you..


Ps. . The Commander Pro has 2 usb hubs.....
Yeah ik, but I don't really want to buy that, and it will be hard to fit that anywhere in my case. Do you know how or if I can sync the 2 front case fans and the 2 corsair fans that came with the h100i, since I'm doing PUSH/PULL and the fans probably have to operate at the same speed. I was planning on using a splitter and connecting the 2 case fans to a sys fan header but I don't know if corsair link can control the system fans. Perhaps another splitter and connecting the h100i fans to the other system fan header or a cpu opt header will allow me to bypass corsair link and use my qfan bios control?

Worst case scenario I just won't do Push Pull, and will only use my ll case fans in push.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 02-04-2018, 11:49 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 5,501
POST ID # = 939121
DevBiker Reputation: 76
Default

You won't be able to control any system fans with Link. And if you connect the fans to the motherboard, the challenge with be proper control of the fan speeds. The motherboard fan headers won't be able to be controlled based on the H100i V2 temperature.

You also won't be able to use splitters and run all of the fans from the H100i V2. You have a limit of 1A from the CPU Fan header. 4 LL fans will run 1.2A.

The Commander Pro is a good option; it's really not that big ... if you can fit a 240mm cooler, you should have plenty of space for the CoPro. In most cases, you can mount it on the back of the motherboard tray.

A final option is to use a powered PWM splitter. It would absolutely need to be powered. This is an example: https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-S...keywords=CPF04. You would connect this to the fan controller cable from the cooler (the one with 4 pins so it reports RPM) and then connect the fans to this.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 02-05-2018, 01:58 AM
invent invent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 939124
invent Reputation: 10
Default

Hmm, I've heard a few people trashing Corsair link or complaining it doesn't work with Linux, something I occasionally will be using so maybe BIOS controlled fan speeds would be better.

I wonder if it's ok just to use the CPU opt fan or sys fan and a splitter for my 2 LL fans with no stock fans in a push only configuration. Then configure the bios to have the proper fan curve in response to CPU package temps. I know link is cool because it offers cooling control based on coolant temps not package temps, but is there any major benefit to this, wouldn't it be the same just to copy the fan curve but at higher temps since the package is the fan speeds trigger not the rad fluid.

Also I could just use the 2 LL in push with the 2 headers from the h100i v2 but I've heard the h100i already isn't the most powerful since it pulls all power from a 12w CPU fan header and divides it between 2 fans and a pump. So unless the LL has similar pwm power consumption to the stock fans I'd prefer to put it into a system fan header. Then I could try to ramp up the exhasut fan speeds in correlation to the intake fan speed.

EDIT: I wouldn't be against ditching the stock h100i fans all together, they seem to be kinda noisy. If I go this route will the 2 pwm leads from the pump be able to adequately power my LL fans??

EDIT2: Also my z370g board has a CPU, CPU_OPT, and AIO_PUMP header so if one will provide more power or be better I can use that. I also have noticed a very slight rattling in the pump. I don't necessarily think it's bad but was curious how normal this is, if it will go away or any ways to try and fix it. I can confirm I am set to DC on the CPU fan header with 100% fan curve

Last edited by invent; 02-05-2018 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Adding info
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 5,501
POST ID # = 939138
DevBiker Reputation: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Hmm, I've heard a few people trashing Corsair link or complaining it doesn't work with Linux, something I occasionally will be using so maybe BIOS controlled fan speeds would be better.
You can write your custom fan curve to the cooler. As long as your fan curve is based on the coolant temperature, it will run without requiring Link. You will, however, need Link to set it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
I wonder if it's ok just to use the CPU opt fan or sys fan and a splitter for my 2 LL fans with no stock fans in a push only configuration. Then configure the bios to have the proper fan curve in response to CPU package temps. I know link is cool because it offers cooling control based on coolant temps not package temps, but is there any major benefit to this, wouldn't it be the same just to copy the fan curve but at higher temps since the package is the fan speeds trigger not the rad fluid.
You can but there's no need for this. Again, if you are based on coolant temperature, you can write the settings to the hardware. Why base on coolant temp? Because that's what the fans actually cool. CPU temperature is going to spike and drop, spike and drop. It's highly variable. Coolant temperature is far more stable and steady and, since it's what the fans actually are cooling, it's the most appropriate control variable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Also I could just use the 2 LL in push with the 2 headers from the h100i v2 but I've heard the h100i already isn't the most powerful since it pulls all power from a 12w CPU fan header and divides it between 2 fans and a pump. So unless the LL has similar pwm power consumption to the stock fans I'd prefer to put it into a system fan header. Then I could try to ramp up the exhasut fan speeds in correlation to the intake fan speed.
You're fine with one set of fans connected to the cooler, whether it's the stock fans or the LL fans. If you want to have push/pull controlled from that fan header, you won't be able to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
EDIT: I wouldn't be against ditching the stock h100i fans all together, they seem to be kinda noisy. If I go this route will the 2 pwm leads from the pump be able to adequately power my LL fans??
They are noisy, yes. The PWM leads will adequately power your LL fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
EDIT2: Also my z370g board has a CPU, CPU_OPT, and AIO_PUMP header so if one will provide more power or be better I can use that. I also have noticed a very slight rattling in the pump. I don't necessarily think it's bad but was curious how normal this is, if it will go away or any ways to try and fix it. I can confirm I am set to DC on the CPU fan header with 100% fan curve
Even if you have a header that provides more than 1A of power, I wouldn't bet that it'd work the way you think as the pump was designed for a 1A header. Additional current may blow a fuse or overload the wiring. We'd need Corsair engineering to confirm this.

If you do want to run more fans from that single header with a curve based on pump temperature, I would recommend a powered PWM hub. There's one from Silverstone that would do the job nicely.

Additionally, if you use a Commander Pro (CoPro), you can do something similar. If your fan curves for the CoPro are based on the temperature sensors connected to it, you can run your fan curves without Link (in hardware). Adding a temperature sensor in the exhaust flow of the radiator fans will give you a good indication of the radiator temperature (it'll be a little lower but not much).
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 02-05-2018, 07:36 PM
invent invent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 939241
invent Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
You can write your custom fan curve to the cooler. As long as your fan curve is based on the coolant temperature, it will run without requiring Link. You will, however, need Link to set it up.



You can but there's no need for this. Again, if you are based on coolant temperature, you can write the settings to the hardware. Why base on coolant temp? Because that's what the fans actually cool. CPU temperature is going to spike and drop, spike and drop. It's highly variable. Coolant temperature is far more stable and steady and, since it's what the fans actually are cooling, it's the most appropriate control variable.


You're fine with one set of fans connected to the cooler, whether it's the stock fans or the LL fans. If you want to have push/pull controlled from that fan header, you won't be able to do it.


They are noisy, yes. The PWM leads will adequately power your LL fans.



Even if you have a header that provides more than 1A of power, I wouldn't bet that it'd work the way you think as the pump was designed for a 1A header. Additional current may blow a fuse or overload the wiring. We'd need Corsair engineering to confirm this.

If you do want to run more fans from that single header with a curve based on pump temperature, I would recommend a powered PWM hub. There's one from Silverstone that would do the job nicely.

Additionally, if you use a Commander Pro (CoPro), you can do something similar. If your fan curves for the CoPro are based on the temperature sensors connected to it, you can run your fan curves without Link (in hardware). Adding a temperature sensor in the exhaust flow of the radiator fans will give you a good indication of the radiator temperature (it'll be a little lower but not much).
Thanks for all of that information, it definitely answered the remaining questions I had and one I had forgot to ask. I had figured link was writing the fan curve to the pumps pwm controller but I didn't want to assume. I'm probably going to just run my LL fans off the pumps PWM connections since the noise on the stock ones is annoying and it will be the easiest to wire. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to trying to overclock when all this is said and done :)
Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
corsair ll, corsair ll 120, h100i v2, node pro, push/pull

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.