Corsair Community

Obsidian 250d and H100i gtx

Dookie69

I have no idea. Thats why i need to know. Its not much space so i need to know before buying.

H100i extreme: 120mm x 275mm x 27mm

H100i gtx : 125mm x 276mm x 30 mm

The difference is very small but maybe enough to not fit. And i can't find the measurments for the obsidian. It only says it supports 240mm watercooling.

I have been meaning to upgrade my M-ITX build which currently resides in the not so optimal alienware x51 r2 case with a chunk of it's left side panel removed to connect the 8 pin required for the ASUS GTX 970 mini. Can anyone post a picture or a link to a picture that has the corsair H100i GTX installed in the corsair 250D. I have the case on the way with 16GB of 1866 mhz corsair vengeance LP the EVGA Z97 Stinger with Wi-Fi and a corsair HX 750i.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Registered this account just for this thread.

Yes, the H100i GTX does fit in this case, but you have to remove the stock fan in 250D, and place fans outside of radiator since the screw cap will interference with motherboard if you place fan inside.

I am using Maximus VII Impact with H100i GTX.

• Corsair Employee

Yes, the H100i GTX does fit in this case, but you have to remove the stock fan in 250D, and place fans outside of radiator since the screw cap will interference with motherboard if you place fan inside.

Can you post pictures so everyone can see how you did it?

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please clarify? Do you mean you had to install the two 120mm fan outside the case (above radiator and case)? Or do you mean you placed the fans above rad but below the case (as you would normally).

• 7 months later...

I guess I have a 100i to sell now, which is actually good news because it was a piece of cake to get the 100i GTX to fit.

Motherboard is an Asus Maximus VIII Impact, and I see the same comments everywhere: The H100i GTX that I already have won't fit because of the 3mm thicker radiator compared to the non-GTX version.

It only took about 90 seconds to get it to fit!

I removed the lower mounting bracket from the left side of the case, which allowed the lower side of the radiator to rest against the motherboard base plate in the case. I took out both bottom fan screws on the rear fan, and the bottom left screw on the forward fan to buy even a little more space and to avoid having metal screw heads that close to anything on the MB. The radiator is mounted with 4 screws on the upper side like normal.

It's such a minor mod that the side panel even fits without issue.

Now getting the Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti installed into the case was a bit more involved. :-)

And yes, the cables are a rat's nest, but that's fluff work for later.

-Doc

The H100i GTX will definitely fit in the 250D. I just ran down to the lab to compare fitment.

Is there some magic to get it to fit? I mounted the H100i GTX in a 250D and there is ~1-2mm overlap with the motherboard, which blocks all MB's that have components/connectors right up to the top edge (which, in my experience, is very common in mini-ITX). Also, when mounted with the hoses at the back of the case, the MB i/o ports get in the way; when mounted at the front end of the case, the front fan gets in the way.

For reference, the motherboard I am using is a Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX.

Is there some magic to get it to fit? I mounted the H100i GTX in a 250D and there is ~1-2mm overlap with the motherboard, which blocks all MB's that have components/connectors right up to the top edge (which, in my experience, is very common in mini-ITX). Also, when mounted with the hoses at the back of the case, the MB i/o ports get in the way; when mounted at the front end of the case, the front fan gets in the way.

For reference, the motherboard I am using is a Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX.

Try the method I used in the post above yours... It worked fine with my Asus MB. I have the hoses in the back. Good luck!

-Doc

Did you end up bending the upper mount to get the extra space, or is your rad not secured in the case?

The radiator is mounted to the upper mounts only, and it barely has to flex to let the lower part of the radiator rest against the edge of the MB base plate. The hoses clear my IO ports, and it all fits perfectly. No "bending" required.

-Doc

The radiator is mounted to the upper mounts only, and it barely has to flex to let the lower part of the radiator rest against the edge of the MB base plate. The hoses clear my IO ports, and it all fits perfectly. No "bending" required.

-Doc

Hmm...I have to think about it. This PC is a gift for someone else, and I am not entirely comfortable with that solution, especially since there are cables plugging into the MB right next to the fans. I think I might just get a pair of slim fans instead.

Hmm...I have to think about it. This PC is a gift for someone else, and I am not entirely comfortable with that solution, especially since there are cables plugging into the MB right next to the fans. I think I might just get a pair of slim fans instead.

Take three minutes to try it; you'll see what I mean. It works perfectly and creates no compromises in mounting stability or added risk to other system components.

Thinner fans will likely be either louder or less effective. Or both. Also, if there are wires near the fans, then they need to be secured anyway... a few mm's isn't going to change that.

If I were the recipient of the system, I'd be happier with a cooling system in it's full form, with no corners cut to address a non-existent mounting issue. Again, it literally takes 2-3 minutes to mount it in there the way I described and check it out.

Sorry if I'm sounding cocky. I'm 46 years old and have years and years of experience with countless mechanical systems from computers to firearms to vehicles to you name it. I have absolute faith in my mechanical aptitude and know without reservation that this is a perfectly safe and effective way to get the newer H110i into the 250D case.

Do what feels best to you, of course; I'm just saying don't make that decision without actually seeing one of the options in action. It sounds like what you're imagining is not the same as what it's actually like. Keep in mind that I don't want my system getting messed up either! I have zero concern about it the way it is.

-Doc

Take three minutes to try it; you'll see what I mean. It works perfectly and creates no compromises in mounting stability or added risk to other system components.

Thinner fans will likely be either louder or less effective. Or both. Also, if there are wires near the fans, then they need to be secured anyway... a few mm's isn't going to change that.

If I were the recipient of the system, I'd be happier with a cooling system in it's full form, with no corners cut to address a non-existent mounting issue. Again, it literally takes 2-3 minutes to mount it in there the way I described and check it out.

Sorry if I'm sounding cocky. I'm 46 years old and have years and years of experience with countless mechanical systems from computers to firearms to vehicles to you name it. I have absolute faith in my mechanical aptitude and know without reservation that this is a perfectly safe and effective way to get the newer H110i into the 250D case.

Do what feels best to you, of course; I'm just saying don't make that decision without actually seeing one of the options in action. It sounds like what you're imagining is not the same as what it's actually like. Keep in mind that I don't want my system getting messed up either! I have zero concern about it the way it is.

-Doc

I might be giving it a try. I installed some slim fans on it and the cooling performance is abominable (barely better than the stock heatsink the CPU ships with). These fans (Thermaltake Luna Slim series) clearly do not have the static pressure the marketing materials claim.

I might be giving it a try. I installed some slim fans on it and the cooling performance is abominable (barely better than the stock heatsink the CPU ships with). These fans (Thermaltake Luna Slim series) clearly do not have the static pressure the marketing materials claim.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's disappointing to spend time and money on what would seem like a sound plan just to find out that things aren't how they are supposed to be. Can you return the fans?

I hope mounting the H110i will work for you. I honestly think it will, but you've got to feel comfortable with it.

Let us know how it works out.

-Doc

P.S. If you don't like the H110i the way I have mine mounted, I do have a new H100i that we can work out a deal on as a Plan C if you need. I bought it before realizing that I could fit the H110i in, so it's just sitting around on a shelf.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's disappointing to spend time and money on what would seem like a sound plan just to find out that things aren't how they are supposed to be. Can you return the fans?

I hope mounting the H110i will work for you. I honestly think it will, but you've got to feel comfortable with it.

Let us know how it works out.

-Doc

P.S. If you don't like the H110i the way I have mine mounted, I do have a new H100i that we can work out a deal on as a Plan C if you need. I bought it before realizing that I could fit the H110i in, so it's just sitting around on a shelf.

New plan is to pull the rad out of the case, mount the original fans, and test it to get a baseline for its performance. If the performance is still bad, then it is likely I have a bad CPU mount, and I can try remounting the water block. If performance improves to the range I expect it in, then I will get a non-GTX h100i, and return the GTX.

New plan is to pull the rad out of the case, mount the original fans, and test it to get a baseline for its performance. If the performance is still bad, then it is likely I have a bad CPU mount, and I can try remounting the water block. If performance improves to the range I expect it in, then I will get a non-GTX h100i, and return the GTX.

While you have the stock fans on there, mount it my way and see what you think.

To be clear, I want you to end up with the no-compromises system that I know is possible, and to do so without wasting time and money. Because of that, I'm going to be obnoxiously immodest for one paragraph, after which I promise that I will not suggest my method again.

Seriously, this is going to be obnoxious, but it's factually accurate and I'm making a point:

<sunglasses> :sunglasse

I've been building PCs, almost entirely for the primary use of gaming, since the i386, DOS 3.1, Windows 1.0 days of 1985. In those 30 years I've had the first model Sound Blaster card, Diamond Speedstar GPU, 3dfx VooDoo card, etc. I played Quake on a dual-Pentium III system (as in, 2 CPU sockets with 2 $700 CPUs). I ran 2 3dfx Voodoo 2 GPU's in SLI several years before Nvidia marketed the technology as their own in 2004. I had a 400 pound server rack in my living room running 9 Quake 2 servers via 2Mbit SDSL well over a year before 256Kbit ADSL was even available to the general public in my area. (Redmond, WA.) In more recent years I've had 3-way SLI systems with the latest and greatest GTX x80 GPUs. I've spent over $25k at newegg and over $5k at Amazon on gaming computer parts in the last 6 years alone. God only knows how much in total since 1985 ... RAM was upwards of $500 per MB in the late 80's. (Adjusting for inflation, that's over a million bucks per GB in today's dollars!) My point is that my experience-based advice is worth the three minutes it takes to try it out because I know what I'm talking about, times 10, when I say that the GTX fits into the 250D perfectly and securely, as long as the hoses don't hit your I/O ports. (They don't on my MB), and I'm hoping you don't miss out on having the GTX because you (sanely) worry about the soundness of some stranger's advice in a forum. There's no need to worry in this case. Pun intended.

</sunglasses> :biggrin:

I told you it was going to be obnoxious! (To be fair, it's not that I think I'm great, it's just that I think I have a lot of experience.)

Keep in mind that the only reason I have an unused, non-GTX cooler is because I have zero intention of installing it in my system because the GTX fits perfectly. It would be a completely unnecessary step backwards.

Good luck, and mry xmas! (I'm old, so I get a pass on saying, "Happy Holidays")

-Doc

While you have the stock fans on there, mount it my way and see what you think.

To be clear, I want you to end up with the no-compromises system that I know is possible, and to do so without wasting time and money. Because of that, I'm going to be obnoxiously immodest for one paragraph, after which I promise that I will not suggest my method again.

Seriously, this is going to be obnoxious, but it's factually accurate and I'm making a point:

<sunglasses> :sunglasse

I've been building PCs, almost entirely for the primary use of gaming, since the i386, DOS 3.1, Windows 1.0 days of 1985. In those 30 years I've had the first model Sound Blaster card, Diamond Speedstar GPU, 3dfx VooDoo card, etc. I played Quake on a dual-Pentium II system (as in, 2 CPU sockets with 2 $700 CPUs). I ran 2 3dfx Voodoo 2 GPU's in SLI several years before Nvidia marketed the technology as their own in 2004. I had a 400 pound server rack in my living room running 9 Quake 2 servers via 2Mbit SDSL well over a year before 256Kbit ADSL was even available to the general public in my area. (Redmond, WA.) In more recent years I've had 3-way SLI systems with the latest and greatest GTX x80 GPUs. I've spent over $25k at newegg and over $5k at Amazon on gaming computer parts in the last 6 years alone. God only knows how much in total since 1985 ... RAM was upwards of $500 per MB in the late 80's. (Adjusting for inflation, that's over a million bucks per GB in today's dollars!) My point is that my experience-based advice is worth the three minutes it takes to try it out because I know what I'm talking about, times 10, when I say that the GTX fits into the 250D perfectly and securely, as long as the hoses don't hit your I/O ports. (They don't on my MB), and I'm hoping you don't miss out on having the GTX because you (sanely) worry about the soundness of some stranger's advice in a forum. There's no need to worry in this case. Pun intended.

</sunglasses> :biggrin:

I told you it was going to be obnoxious! (To be fair, it's not that I think I'm great, it's just that I think I have a lot of experience.)

Keep in mind that the only reason I have an unused, non-GTX cooler is because I have zero intention of installing it in my system because the GTX fits perfectly. It would be a completely unnecessary step backwards.

Good luck, and mry xmas! (I'm old, so I get a pass on saying, "Happy Holidays")

-Doc

I´m on my way to order the exakt same configuration as you. 250D + Impact VIII + H100i GTX.

Can you please post a picture of your mounting of the H100i GTX?

Are the fans on the H100i GTX mounted in a pull-configuration outside the radiator with the radiator next to the motherboard or are the fans next to the motherboard in a push-configuration?

Thanks Doc! :biggrin:

Solved it with Doc´s instructions. The H100i GTX fits the 250D if you remove the lower mounting bracket on the chassis right side (seen from the front). The one you mount the radiator against. The radiator is now only mounted with the 4 screws on top, but it won't move an inch!

You can get in trouble anyway if your motherboard has a bad layout and has large things directly on the left of the IO-panel, where the hoses are mounted in the picture. The ASUS Maximus Impact VIII (Z170) worked perfectly!

If you instead mount the radiator with the hoses in the front, you won´t be able to use the sleigh for the 5,25"-unit and probably not even the front fan.

I had to use some force to get the side panel in place, but it worked and it doesn't bulge. The 5,25"-sleigh is in place, but I had to remove the upper right screw, on the right fan, to get it to fit.

I´ve checked that both fans isn't obstructed in any way, but it is a really tight fit!

http://s11.postimg.org/lclp5bf5f/20151230_171659_001.jpg

That's perfect, Pezay! And yes, if a MB has more I/O port crap stuckiung up in the way, the hoses won't work out in the back, and if you want them in the front you definitely can't use the front fan.

Sorry about not getting photos up before you did your project; I've been being lazy and distracted by other stuff. I'm glad you went ahead and gave it a shot.

In my case, no pun intended, I didn't have to use any force to get the side cover on. However, the side cover on that side is a pain in the butt to take off compared to the other side ... it just snaps in there really lightly. It doesnt touch the radiator though.

Regardless, the GTX certainly fits and won't cause any issues at all. Enjoy!

-Doc

EDIT: Did you remove the three bottom fan screws? If not, that might be why the side was harder to get on ... it might push the radiator out far enough to get in the way a bit. I took them out just to keep them from potentially pushing against anything on the MB or power riser card, and because there's no structual loss in not having them in there.

Archived