Corsair Community

1950x Threadripper wont post with more than 64GB Ram

IM3CPO

Hello,

I purchased a Corsair 128GB Memory kit (CMK128GX4M8B3000C16 ) from NewEgg. NewEgg claimed it was tested and verified to work with Threadripper CPU's. The memory works fine (even at PC3000 speeds) as long as I dont run more than 4 sticks. If any more memory modules are installed, the system will not post. This includes trying the failsafe booting options on the motherboard. Have also tried booting with 4 sticks, then hard setting memory to AUTO, PC-2100, and XMP profile. All results are the same (no POST). All motherboard power connectors are installed. Components of the system include:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme

CPU: AMD 1950x Threadripper

Power Supply: eVGA 1600 T2

Can someone help me figure out how to get this working?

• 2 weeks later...

Dominator® Platinum Series 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C15 (CMD128GX4M8A2666C15)

I'm following ASUS's diagrams for recommended RAM order on the motherboard when adding 2/4/6/or 8 DRAMs

Anyone have a solution?

--

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

CPU :AMD Threadripper 1950x

PSU : Corsair AX1200i

Is there a BIOS update available for the Zenith Extreme? I'd try that to see if it resolves your issue. I've contacted our memory team to see if there's something we're missing here.

Wanted to let you know that I am still having the same issue. System will not post with more than 4 modules installed. I have tried all released as well as all available BETA BIOS's (from ROG forum) and they all behave the same. Can you get your memory guys to specifically look into this issue?

I've contacted ASUS multiple times and fought through their intentionally obfuscatory smokescreen. Here's three important snippets from our huge email chain:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ASUS:

"Thank you for your response to ASUS Product Support. This is Richard m. again and I understand that you wanted to know if this board supports the CMD128GX4M8A2666C15. Congratulations! This CMD128GX4M8A2666C15 is supported by this board."

Me:

"That’s great news!

However, I have flashed the BIOS to the most recent version for the board, which is found at this address:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/HelpDesk_BIOS/

The description of the BIOS release is as follows:

Version 0503

2017/08/16 update 4.94 MBytes

ROG ZENITH EXTREME BIOS 0503

1.Patch TPM hang 92 issue

2.Update Agesa Code 1003 Patch 4.

3.Modify Q-Fan temperature curve, including the cover fan (COV_Fan).

4.Improve system stability.

The problem remains: Adding more than four DRAM sticks causes the machine to fail to POST.

It simply cycles OFF/ON in about 5 second intervals."

ASUS:

Thank you for your response to ASUS Product Support. This is Richard M. again and I understand that you already did flashing the BIOS but still the problem persist. Based on the description you sent to us you already did all the necessary troubleshooting needed but still the problem persist. Since your device still under warranty . We can process an RMA. Kindly read it carefully and follow the instructions on how to process an RMA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I'm not sure if i believe them and they keep telling me a replacement is not in stock.

I'd love to know if there's another solution to this.

I'm about to just drop $550 on the same board and see what happens.

I have deadlines...

Seeing as I'm looking to get RAM from Corsair for the ROG Zenith Extreme, I am running into a few roadblocks.

First up that BIOS says AGESA updates 1.0.0.3 which means that the latest RAM support from AGESA microcode 1.0.0.6 is not available yet. That's the one that supports the higher speed RAM on Ryzen/ThreadRipper based systems from what I've researched.

Second support doesn't really feel like confirming what type of chips are in use on the Dominator RAM which so far all that I've seen recommended are for X99 platforms.

Can we please get some clarity on RAM type and whether it's an actual Samsung B-Die in use on the supported ThreadRipper RAM list?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought a second Zenith Extreme board and installed the newest BIOS.

It still does not work. 128GB will not post. I can't get anything other than four sticks to post. Any amount other than four will continually bounce the power cycle. Really disappointing. Other than the wasted money and the fact that I can't really do my job with 64GBs of RAM, rendering my entire build somewhat hamstrung as i hobble along on 64, is that ASUS seems to be intentionally misleading the community. My RAM is on their QVL. Doesn't work.

I may RMA the original board and try that one as well.

Would be interesting to see if three in row failed to post 128GB.

Just bought a second Zenith Extreme board and installed the newest BIOS.

It still does not work. 128GB will not post. I can't get anything other than four sticks to post. Any amount other than four will continually bounce the power cycle. Really disappointing. Other than the wasted money and the fact that I can't really do my job with 64GBs of RAM, rendering my entire build somewhat hamstrung as i hobble along on 64, is that ASUS seems to be intentionally misleading the community. My RAM is on their QVL. Doesn't work.

I may RMA the original board and try that one as well.

Would be interesting to see if three in row failed to post 128GB.

What version is your kit? Mine is v5.39 (Hynix) I have yet to assemble the system. This is printed on the modules label. Check it pls.

The QVL does mention this kit but v4.31(samsung)....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello,

I purchased a Corsair 128GB Memory kit (CMK128GX4M8B3000C16 ) from NewEgg. NewEgg claimed it was tested and verified to work with Threadripper CPU's. The memory works fine (even at PC3000 speeds) as long as I dont run more than 4 sticks. If any more memory modules are installed, the system will not post. This includes trying the failsafe booting options on the motherboard. Have also tried booting with 4 sticks, then hard setting memory to AUTO, PC-2100, and XMP profile. All results are the same (no POST). All motherboard power connectors are installed. Components of the system include:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme

CPU: AMD 1950x Threadripper

Power Supply: eVGA 1600 T2

Can someone help me figure out how to get this working?

Hi.

Same as yours; v5.39

IMC3PO, did you ever get it to work with that kit? I was intending to buy it for a threadripper build but now I don't know :(

Elmor from ASUS has posted a new BIOS for our motherboard that can maybe fix this issue.

You can find the original post here with the link: http://www.overclock.net/t/1636566/asus-rog-zenith-extreme-x399-threadripper-overclocking-support/1810#post_26475490

This is safe to use. Elmor is from Asus and a well known guy in the community.

I cannot confirm this fixing the issue because I am out of country and do not have access to my PC, but I think it just might (elmor said as much).

Try it. Nothing to lose.

Hey,

Thanks for sharing, that sounds promising. Since I haven't bought anything yet (except the CPU), I'll keep an eye out on this update and see if it fixes things for people!

If you get back home, please update here if you remember to :)

Archived