Corsair Community

H100i no CPU fan error on boot

Shayne

Hi

Running the h100i cooler on a Asus Maximus Hero VI board (new build). When I plug the h100i fan pin into the cpu header I get a error on boot "no cpu fan detected". If I plug a case fan into the board header the error goes away (not the board).

I am looking for confirmation from anyone that is running a similar set up that they are also or are not getting this error. Want to know if it is a common problem at this stage or just a problem with this h100i unit.

Regards

Latest bios on board. Why would a case fan be recognized as a fan but the h100i not. Just looking if it is reproducible from someone else or I have a dud.

Here is what I get from the mod on the asus forum

Corsair has had a multitude of problems with its 'Link' hardware and software.... so assuming you are using that, I'd guess that is where the problem lies..

Unless the system BIOS gets an RPM sense signal from a fan, then if doesn't know a fan is connected.. same for the pump setup...

.. but Corsair products have many many problems...

Regards

the link sw has nothing to do with post failure as it isnt even running yet in bios,whomever told you this needs to educate himself before spreading misinformation to other users.the ''problems'' with these hydros are very minimal and even then most are user faults as it does take more knowledge than pushing a button to understand these units.simply put these hydro's get alot of false blame simply out of ignorance.

i have 3 working units and i cant be just a lucky person several times over.

im not implying in no way that you fit in the above characterization but that listening to others can be very misleading.

testing this in another computer would be the best route as having another new one do the same thing would be a needless headache.

bios settings can be complicated sometimes and it could be just a setting.

A common problem with Asus motherboards, go in to the bios under monitor scroll down to Q-fan control for cpu. Default is 600 rpm change value to 200 rpm should eliminate cpu fan error.

Thanks you gave me hope. Corsair's techs told me to disable it all together. Both same result. ERROR NO CPU FAN. Not a fix here but thanks

@wytnyt

We thank you for your little rant and your attempt to belittle me. You are too kQQl for school man. Your knowledge is outstanding and thank you for all that help. Been building and running boxes since 87, 286's, and ibm dos. Me taking off 2 coolers and trying this one in another machine just an't happen. It was bought for this one?

Case fan works, h100i does not. As you see I am running down asus for a bios fix.

Regards

Bois-screen-dump.thumb.png.41b0f1cab2c735346a84271ec213576b.png

not trying to rant nor belittle you in no way,im sorry you assumed so.

i was merely suggesting being more selective on listening to others misfortunes,especially a comment from someone admittingly ''guessing''

suggesting trying it in another build would certainly clarify a potential problem and also save lots of time and possibly having the problem still after a rma ...

Again what I am looking for is someone that is running an asus Maximus board and has a h100i installed for conformation if it is working ok or not for them (cpu fan error). Any trouble shooters extraordinaire that do not have this combination are welcome.

Regards

Again what I am looking for is someone that is running an asus Maximus board and has a h100i installed for conformation if it is working ok or not for them (cpu fan error). Any trouble shooters extraordinaire that do not have this combination are welcome.

OK, not A Maximus but a P9X79 Deluxe. Still current ASUS top of the line and they're all similar. Works here, plugged into the CPU_FAN header.

Just turning off the CPU Fan error is not a recommended option, without certifying that the cooler is indeed operating first.

Here's what I'd suggest: plug the H100i RPM lead into a motherboard case fan header, plug a case fan into the CPU_FAN header, for a VERY SHORT TIME boot into BIOS and check the Monitor tab for RPM on those two. RPM on the pump should be ~2,200. Check the CPU temp to see if it is stable or rising, and then shut it down. That's as long as I'd recommend running if the H100i pump isn't turning.

There should be enough thermal dissipation in the block and water behind it to sustain that long without hitting the CPU max temp while idling. If the CPU temp isn't rising but stays at a nominal 35C-40C or so, then I'd say that the RPM lead or connector is damaged or the firmware just isn't sending the signal.

Thanks Speed

Been running this for a couple of weeks now with a case fan plugged into the cpu_fan header. The normal temps are 30 oC at normal load, 60 @ gaming and 80 max with prime 95. Monitored temps in the bios for a long time prior to installing OS. The pump is working and the link program indicates the pump is pumping at 2215. This is constant monitoring since the pump fan to board connection gives an error on boot and indicates it does not exist in the bios. No worries mate I will not be disabling this error however to date my monitoring is via software. It maybe the wire but was trying to track down if a firmware fix by asus and/or corsair may solve this problem.

Good idea, to date I have just left the pump fan connector plugged into cpu_opt and it does not monitor there either. Just tried it in the Cha_fan3 with the same result no indication that a fan is present. If you say this is not common with your 79 board it makes me think why would asus break that on their 87's. Now this lead from the pump does not work on three of the boards fan headers. You still never know, may be a firmware problem or may be a faulty fan lead from the pump. Need to try something because I want my cpu cooling to be monitored by my board not this link software.

Regards

Bois-screen-dump2.thumb.png.82e50c7f46486e3ad77182d1e47821a0.png

I have an ASUS Maximus V. I used to get the same thing with the h100. If I booted cold, it gave me the CPU fan error. I would then hit reset and it would boot up ok. It seemed like the h100 had to boot/spin up before the board would see it.

I finally went to the h100i and it seems to work ok.

^^

Hi

Thank you for your input. This is the h100i. I just did a soft reboot and as indicated the fan lead is plugged into cpu_opt. Bois indicates still not present.

Regards

Edit: It is always the case if you do not have a problem you never seek a solution. Where are all the guys with asus z87 boards? The haswells' run so hot one must assume that some have gone with this closed loop. Was worth a try.

Hello Shayne,

As I told you in the ASUS support forum I have the ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard with the I7 4770k processor cooled with the H100i. The motherboard detected the pump rpm fine under both the original bios and the current bios.

I suggest you replace your H100i.

Hello Shayne,

As I told you in the ASUS support forum I have the ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard with the I7 4770k processor cooled with the H100i. The motherboard detected the pump rpm fine under both the original bios and the current bios.

I suggest you replace your H100i.

Thank you sir. I have not been checking that forum as much as this one. You have answered my question and I do not have to rip out the board of another working machine to install the back plate of this cooler to determine it is not working as it should. I have been in touch with tech support and they have offered me an exchanged. I will be pursing that avenue now. You are the man and for all else that offered help cheers.

Regards

Thanks Speed

Been running this for a couple of weeks now with a case fan plugged into the cpu_fan header. The normal temps are 30 oC at normal load, 60 @ gaming and 80 max with prime 95. Monitored temps in the bios for a long time prior to installing OS. The pump is working and the link program indicates the pump is pumping at 2215.

Figured that might be the case. BUT, it's more than interesting that CL2 sees the pump and BIOS doesn't. This says that the CPU_Fan lead or the on-board circuit is bad and not sending a signal down that wire.

Need to try something because I want my cpu cooling to be monitored by my board not this link software.

Well, as long as you have a Corsair water block on your CPU, the profile stored within it is what is monitoring your CPU (when the fans are properly grouped with the water block--NOT the CPU) by monitoring the temperature of the water. The motherboard has nothing to do with it--and shouldn't. Additionally, once you have developed a good profile for the fans, CL2 doesn't need to run.

^^

Hi

Thank you for your input. I am not to sure if it gets its info from the usb header or the fan header but we would assume the first.

The lead to the header feels loose, I have try numerous sets and positions with no success. Are you suggesting that I live with the flaw of this new cooler? Does your cooler make a funny rattling sound? It is like a continuous noisy pump sound? I thought I was purchasing water cooled to get rid of the noise.

Regards

Fan header only reports pump speed to the motherboard (in order to prevent a "no CPU fan error"). Water temperature is sensed internally by the water block, so it really doesn't need to be hooked to anything to operate. The water block gets/sends all additional information, including pump speed, through the USB connection. That's why CL2 sees the pump and BIOS doesn't, due to parallel signals, so the unit needs replacement if you want to cure the CPU_Fan error but the rest of the system appears to be working as it should.

Fan header only reports pump speed to the motherboard (in order to prevent a "no CPU fan error"). Water temperature is sensed internally by the water block, so it really doesn't need to be hooked to anything to operate. The water block gets/sends all additional information, including pump speed, through the USB connection. That's why CL2 sees the pump and BIOS doesn't, due to parallel signals, so the unit needs replacement if you want to cure the CPU_Fan error but the rest of the system appears to be working as it should.

I am sure if the pump dies the fan lead to header will warn the motherboard so of course I want to have this working. The CL2 software is not of much use for me and will not be run at boot. Default keeps the machine cool enough and if I want to change the pretty led, or do a quick config or check, I can run it. I assume yours makes the same annoying noise.

Regards

I am sure if the pump dies the fan lead to header will warn the motherboard so of course I want to have this working.

Yes. CL2 doesn't provide a parallel for failure of the pump that would shut down the system that I know of.

The CL2 software is not of much use for me and will not be run at boot. Default keeps the machine cool enough and if I want to change the pretty led, or do a quick config or check, I can run it.

That's what I do. After I refined my custom profiles they just work; without CL2 running.

I assume yours makes the same annoying noise.

Only noise that I'm waiting on a fix for, on both the H100i and 2 H80i's that I have running here is the fan whine. As yet, I don't see a really solid fix that works across the board (no pun intended). Some of the fixes work for some people. Some of the fixes don't. That these three systems aren't all that broken, and the sad state of the patches that I've read about not being effective or making things worse, I'm not about to go fixing.

Archived