Corsair Community

Memtest says TW3X4G1600C9D has multiple errors

The Trekkie

Hi,

New to the forum and I have been recommended to come here and ask for aid. My system is a new build [for gaming], which I built at Christmas and has worked fine until the past two to three months where I am getting random, yet consistent BSOD's.

I have updated all the drivers I could think of etc and eventually ran memtest for 6 hours today [after previously running it twice with one fail and one pass over four hours] and it passed once with 13 million errors!

Obviously, im very disheartened by my new system BSOD'ing all the time and feel a smidge lost. Before I ask for a replacement I am posting here incase there is any possible help you could give.

Thanks.

do you have the latest bios and did you reset the bios to defaults after installing new ram?

also test one stick at a time after a bios reset. could be a simple issue.

Thanks for replying.

I will check ASUS website and see if I do [though im pretty sure I do]. How do you reset the BIOS to defaults exactly? When I built the system I just installed the RAM and everything worked fine for months so I'd assumed everything was ok.

I will check ASUS website and see if I do [though im pretty sure I do]. How do you reset the BIOS to defaults exactly? When I built the system I just installed the RAM and everything worked fine for months so I'd assumed everything was ok.
You say it worked "for months" and then it's been BSOD-ing for months--had you made ANY changes to the physical configuration of the box at some time? Or changed memory settings or Overclocked in any way?

The "clear CMOS" (BIOS) procedure would reset your BIOS to defaults, as would I believe doing a BIOS update. Clearing the BIOS usually involves completely powering-down the PC, including unplugging the PSU, and then moving a jumper on the mobo for a few seconds, then moving it back. That would clear-out any nasties and set your BIOS to factory defaults.

If that doesn't fix it, I assume you've plugged/replugged/reseated the DIMM modules and they are secure? Just asking because if the BSOD was actually unrelated to the memory, and you started fiddling with DIMMs, maybe you didn't reseat properly. Two DIMMs in Dual channel slots/mode? I see this in the Specs:

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Don't see 1600 there but RAMGUY would know if yours is a legal configuration.

The system was built at Xmas and has worked fine until June/July when the BSOD's started.

I have spent today making sure the RAM is properly seated and running Memtest again: it failed with both together, and on both individually. The BSOD's also feel like they are getting worse and im now having to post this on my old PC.

I had updated the BIOS from ASUS website also. I was recommended to get RAMGUY to see if he could help and I'd be happy for him to do so. I just want this issue fixed.

• Corsair Employee
If you are getting errors with both modules when testing them one up that would suggest some other problem. When you ran the latest Version of http://www.memtest.org did you load setup defaults and set the tested settings manually and disable Legacy USB? Also what were the settings you had set for both CPU and memory?

If you are getting errors with both modules when testing them one up that would suggest some other problem. When you ran the latest Version of http://www.memtest.org did you load setup defaults and set the tested settings manually and disable Legacy USB? Also what were the settings you had set for both CPU and memory?

[i hope this is ok: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/184170-two-months-random-yet-consistent-bsods.html - that is the thread I started which has even greater info on the issue]

Thanks for replying RAMGUY, I downloaded the latest version and put it on my USB stick, restarted the computer and booted from the USB. From there, Memtest runs itself and finds millions of error on both sticks.

My memory settings when I go into BIOS are all at [auto] so its whatever the Motherboard decides.

I had ran driver verifier and it did produce a crash but i cant read the minidump files and so im unsure of the offending driver.

I had ran driver verifier and it did produce a crash but i cant read the minidump files and so im unsure of the offending driver.

TT until the memtest issue is resolved, anything "Windows" re: BSODs & drivers is gonna be meaningless--your PC is useless with that many memory errors (I think your data is at risk as well--I hope you have backups). Have you cleared CMOS/BIOS as I suggested earlier? What are your PSU voltages?

• Corsair Employee
And I am sorry as I mentioned earlier you will have to disable Legacy USB and down load the ISO image and burn it to CD. Some ASUS MB's will report false errors when this is enabled and it is also listed in the F.A.Q on the memtest page.

I downloaded the latest version and put it on my USB stick, restarted the computer and booted from the USB. From there, Memtest runs itself and finds millions of error on both sticks.

When you disable USB legacy support it will not let you boot from a usb stick. You will have to burn it to a disc and boot from that disc with your MB.

Thanks everyone for helping me try and fix this issue.

Ok, can I ask just a few questions:

1. Will I find my PSU voltage in the BIOS?

2. Same for Legacy USB, do I disable that in the BIOS? [i have blank discs so it shouldn't be a problem]

3. To reset the BIOS: I will unplug the PSU but you mentioned something about 'jumpers', do you mean unhook the PSU from the motherboard to restore factory defaults?

Yeah unplug the PSU from the wall, wait a few minutes for its caps to deplete, then pull the battery for a minute or two more. Re: your BIOS questions, you should find Legacy USB and (most likely) voltages in there--you gotta look thru those screens and get familiar with them yourself.

This process is explained in detail on page 2-21 of the manual for your MB. If you dont have it handy you can down load it from ASUS's site.

Usb legacy support is under the "advanced "menu in your BIOS and that is under the USB configuration tab in the advanced menu. Pg 3-27 OM

Voltages will be displayed in the Hardware Monitor tab in the "power" menu of the BIOS

pg 3-31 of your manual.

Thank You everyone for continuing to help.

Voltages

CPU + NB Voltage Mode Offset

CPU Offset Voltage: 1.392 [Auto]

CPU/NB Offset Voltage: 1.100 [Auto]

CPU VDDA Voltage: 2.487-2.5 [it bounced] [Auto]

DRAM Voltage: 1.493-1.5 [Auto]

HT Voltage: 1.200 [Auto]

NB Voltage: 1.196 [Auto]

NB 1.8V Voltage: 1.800 [Auto]

SB Voltage: 1.100 [Auto]

Sideport Memory Voltage: 1.500 [Auto]

I have also burned Memtest to a disc and am currently running tests, the results of which I will post tomorrow.

Things just seem odd now. When I reset the BIOS I got an odd 'CPU fan error' that I remember when I first built the PC...even though the fan is on.

Also, the CPU wouldn't even boot this time with both RAM sticks in place [i checked again to make sure they are seated] and the motherboard RAM error light was consistently on. I removed one stick and everything booted [the error light blinked a bit then went off] so Im currently running a test on that stick and so far its passing with no errors.

aha! the ram is supposed to be at 1.65 volts!

please adjust and report back.

Thanks for picking up on that, I changed the DRAM value to 1.650V in the BIOS. I cant help but feel skeptical that the BSOD's will stop but im hopeful.

I will report back and let you know if they stop.

Oh I also ran memtest on both sticks individually and together from the CD and they passed each time with 0 errors.

Here is my situation thus far:

I have been a smidge busy the last two days so I have not had the PC pn much at all but there has been an interesting development:

I placed both RAM sticks in their slots and started the computer...and nothing happened except the motherboard's error light staying consistently on. Numerous resets had no effect. It wouldnt even go to BIOS.

So I removed one stick, the error light stayed on, nothing happened except once when, after numerous resets...a vertical lines of H's appeared down the left side of the screen! Disturbed, I removed that stick and put the other one in [which is still in by itself as I write this]:

The error light vanished and there hasn't been a single BSOD [atleast not yet]. Bear in mind I have ran the system for 4 hours today with that one stick and it has been fine [when recently I would be lucky to get 40 mins].

Im confused. They both passed memtest when I ran the CD.

Oh! I should also tell you, I am forced to run my sticks from slots 2 & 4 as my CPU cooler is too large to fit a stick into slot 1. [i know they must be paired 1& 3 and 2&4]

Im just completely lost at this point. I reseated the RAM again and got the system to boot with both RAM sticks installed and it BSOD.

I am now runng it with one stick and so far it is fine. Why would the system run fine with both for months [since xmas] then suddenly refuse? If the RAM is innocent, could it be a Motherboard error?

*EDIT*

Ok, now it BSOD with just one stick in it. ARGHHH! This is infuriating. The BSOD was new too: 'The Video scheduler has experienced an unexpected, fatal error'

I have a theory: has the 2nd DIMM slot on my motherboard failed? If so, I'll have to replace the entire board and rebuild the entire system.

Im currently running the system with both sticks in RAM slots 3 & 4 and so far it has not BSOD. I downloaded ASUS diagnostic from their website but ti doesn't seem to find any issues.

Im currently running the system with both sticks in RAM slots 3 & 4 and so far it has not BSOD

Yeah, 3and 4 are no good. Your loosing dual channel mode. So basically your cutting bandwidth in half. That could also be another indication that the MB is bad, because dual channel is a function of the MB and NOT the memory.

Were you running the memory at DDr1333 or DDR1600? It should be at DDR1333 with that CPU.

The system simply had it set at 'auto' when I checked. So I went into settings and changed it to 1333.

I removed both sticks, reseated them, made the change you mentioned and so far [after 3 hours] with the RAM back in slots 2 & 4 it hasn't BSOD.

Dont get me wrong, I expect it will but so far it hasn't.

Thanks guys for continuing to chip in with help.

Archived