Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF & EVGA 780i Not running @ 1066 Mhz

pondjc

Hello,

I've had two sets of ram now and neither one will run at the specified 1066 settings without locking up vista 64 at the least. Sometimes the system will not even post past the ram check. I can only run at 800mhz 5-5--5-18 stable. At 1066 I left the timings stock...

The first set I RMA'd due to 21,000 memtest errors in an 8 hr test. I'll run memtest again tonight just to check these out and report the results.

Is there a compatibility problem? I've built 20-30 computers in the past and NEVER had problems with corsair ram...and recommend it to everyone. Did I catch a bad batch or something?

Thanks,

James

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voltage set at the recommended 2.1volts. I ran memtest last night for 9 hours and had only 1 error:

Failing Address: 0003fe5aa44 - 1022.6MB

Good: 731c6a5f

Bad: 73186a5f

Err-bits: 00040000

Again, this test was performed at 800mhz 5-5-5-18 timings. Any Suggestions?

Both sticks have errors in memtest. I'm ordering a second set and RMAin' this pair I guess. I can't believe I've received two pairs, neither one meeting manufacturer's specs.

It is highly unlikely you have received 2 pairs of bad memory due to our internal testing procedures. That would suggest some other issue. Also, what BIOS version are you using?

• Corsair Employee
Please load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Is this memory considered SLI memory? I just received a new set of sticks and its currently running 5-5-5-15 @ 1066 @ 2.1v stable. Will run memtest overnight to confirm.

Yes. From the PDF:

The

Twin2X4096-8500C5DF comes with Enhanced Performance Proles (EPP), the open standard for performance

module SPD’s jointly developed by Corsair and NVIDIA.

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF.pdf

Just ran memtest on 2 NEW sticks of ram. 1066mhz, 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v, SLI enabled. These will at least boot into windows and run Crysis. However, i did have 2 different lock ups.

Memtest ran for 21hours and reported 54 errors. Please advise....

• Corsair Employee
Just ran memtest on 2 NEW sticks of ram. 1066mhz, 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v, SLI enabled. These will at least boot into windows and run Crysis. However, i did have 2 different lock ups.

Memtest ran for 21hours and reported 54 errors. Please advise....

I would test the memory one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU. If one of the modules fails and the other works, then we will need to replace both of them for you. However, if you get errors with both of them, that would usually suggest some other problem. 2-3 passes of memtest should be enough to determine a failing module. Let us know your results!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I though I was the only one with the same problem.

I got myself 8GB of this Ram and from start I ran it at 1066 without any problems. After starting to play games I would get crashes every now and then.

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal Exception

Program: D:\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe

Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:007B5FBF

The instruction at "0x007B5FBF" referenced memory at "0x4C414D4D".

The memory could not be "read".

This is my last one but exactly the same...

After about 3 months it got to the point where I couldn't boot Windows up, was getting blues screens almost all tke time and could hardly play any games.

I decided to do a memtest and it came with errors, took each module and etsted it and one of them came as faulty. I RMA it and got a new replacement... lol guess what. As soon as I put in the new replaced ram, my PC won't even start, gave me high piched noise and black screen, tested old ram it would boot up. tested 1 module from replacement it would boot up, tested other module it would not boot up at all.

RMA this RAM and got a new one. Now everything was perfect until after about 1 day World of Warcraft crashes again with the same memory could not read error. So I decided to do a quick memtest... no errors.

I go into my BIOS and change everything to Autoa nd Default. I ran the PC for 1 week on 8GB at 800Mhz without any problems whatsoever, even running WOW for almost 13 hours straight.

Today after reading this post I decided to change the RAM settings back to 1066Mhz, 5-5-5-15 T2 and 2.10V. Amazing, after about 40 minutes of playing WOW I crash out with memory could not read error:

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal Exception

Program: D:\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe

Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:006E329F

The instruction at "0x006E329F" referenced memory at "0x00001A00".

The memory could not be "read".

As far as I can see these memory is being mis-sold and does not run at 1066Mhz at all. I have no heat issue... only issue could be the motherboard settings, but I run everything on default except the timings and frequency.

From what I gathered, this memory will run at 1066Mhz but after a while it will probably destroy itself...

Hope you can help me also mate, my motherboard is ASUS Striker II Formula 780i. I have attached some screenshots from my Nvidia Control Settings. I would be most interested to knoww hat to do to be able to run this memory at 1066Mhz properly, what settings in my BIOS I gotta change.

mem.jpg.8865365df0a775f93c8aea689e7eea44.jpg

mobo.jpg.3a610929ef1ba6e170d839d8501fabbc.jpg

cpu.jpg.a3c6e37b6a44feacecb6aa5561b68d0f.jpg

By the way sorry about the spellings lol:)

Anyhow I went into the BIOS and decided to have a look around so I can give you more info. First of all teh attached screenie is when the memory is running at 1066Mhz.

So in BIOS I have the following settings:

FSB - Memory Clock Mode : Linked/Unlinked

if I select Linked I can also change:

FSB - Memory Ratio: Auto/1:1/5:4/3:2/Sync Mode

In Advanced memory Settings I can change:

tRRD, tRC, tWR, tWTR, tREF, tRD, tRFC. They are all on AUTO as I have no idea what they should be.

Voltage:

Memory Voltage: I assume 2.10V is the correct one, can go as high as I want.

DDRII Controller Ref Voltage:

DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage:

DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage:

Can also do:

SLI - Ready memory: Disabled/CPU0C0%/CPU0C1%/CPU0C2%/CPU0C3%/CPU0C4%/CPU0C%5/CPU0C Sync Mode

I also run into this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73776

Now would this explain the issue better??? As far as I knew the Motherboard is a overclockers dheaven, should be more than able to handle all slots being populated.

Anyhow, Mr Guru, let me know what you find out and let me know what settings I should use. If I should leave it on the Default 800Mhz with full Auto mode from Motherboard just as it has been running (without any issues if I may say so), or do I need to change anything myself? Also forgot to mention that when I was waiting for RMA... I ran my system on 4GB at 1066Mhz for almost 1 month without any crashes.

If this is the issue than I would suggest you post something in the PDFs... as I did my research before I purchased this RAM and Motherboard and no one mentioned anything about underclocking the RAM.

Now, what would be the difference between running the system at 4GB 1066Mhz and running it with 8GB at 800Mhz???

mem2.jpg.3a7831b70d1d853d8026a8c5356e36f9.jpg

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee from the MOBO maker that your MOBO can run 4 modules AND run them at 1066. Please read AN806 for more detailed information.

You may or may not be able to get 1066 running 4 up by tweaking your memory controller (SPP on Nvidia boards) voltage. But, the memory is not being mis sold or mis represented. What you are seeing is a limitation of your MOBO.

this is the motherboard:

http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=117&l3=0&l4=0&model=2016&modelmenu=1

the manual is here:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/Striker_II_Formula/StrikerII_Formula_manual_E3611.zip

So would it be better to contact Asus and see what the issue could be? Is it a case of Controller problem? incrase the voltage and the NB voltage? Or simply 800Mhz is what it should run at when running on all 4 slots?

Wrote the mis-sold statement before I had a look around. Obviously the memory runs fine at 1066Mhz when in 4GB using the 2 main slots.

I did a little digging and it seems to be the Motherboard, looking at Asus forum not many people can get this board to run at higher than 800Mhz stable. Maybe I should just leave it as it is running at 8GB at 800Mhz as 1066mhz seems impossible. Running at 800Mhz can I do anything to increase performance? change timings or voltage?

Now to my other question, would it better to stay at 4GB 1066Mhz or 8GB at 800Mhz? I just wanna run my system to be stable. Wouldn't want to fry either Motherboard or Ram.

Any help is much appreciate it. Cheers.

I think I am just gonna leave it all on Default. I seriously cannot be bothered with it. Seems to me it is a **** motherboard and I have to live with it now. No idea how many board will run 8GB at 1066. I might have to leave Memtest to run for 20 or so hours and see what it gives me with the 8GB.

Saying about slowly increasing, which settings are you talking about? memory voltage, controller voltage? sli options? timing setting?

BTW, can I switch SLI ready memory on and leave it on default 800Mhz with AUTO settings?

Saying about slowly increasing, which settings are you talking about? memory voltage, controller voltage? sli options? timing setting?

BTW, can I switch SLI ready memory on and leave it on default 800Mhz with AUTO settings?

Just to emphasize the point again, it's not a **** MOBO. ASUS or any other maker can only build with the chipsets that are available. Compared to technology 18-24 months ago, it is a MONSTER chipset. Every chipset has a speed and density limitation.

Don't try to use SLI Ready memory option with 4up as it is typically unstable. 4 up is not part of the SLI Ready EPP standard.

Try setting your SPP voltage to about 1.4 or 1.45v. Then, slowly see if you can clock up from there.

As far as running at defaults, you are still going to need to set the memory voltage manually as this board defaults to 1.8v at AUTO.

Aye seems to be about 1.8 to 1.9, last time I looked was 1.88

Now I had a look at other Mobos and these seems to run at 1066 at 8GB.

XFX nForce 780i SLI

EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW

EVGA nForce 780i

So really... I think the motherboard is just not as great, was reading something about this Board being based on teh XFX and EVGA ones... not actually on NVidia... so inferior product.

I think 1.88 is OK, isn't that what the memory running at 800Mhz 5-5-5-18 T2 should be at?? or do I need to put the memory voltage at 2.1v and SPP at 1.4? If my system has been stable like this, is there any point playing around?

I think 1.88 is OK, isn't that what the memory running at 800Mhz 5-5-5-18 T2 should be at?? or do I need to put the memory voltage at 2.1v and SPP at 1.4? If my system has been stable like this, is there any point playing around?

I would set the NB Core Voltage (MCP) to 1.40v and the South Bridge Core Voltage (SPP) to 1.50v. And yes, 800Mhz with 5-5-5-18 2T is the spec for 1.8v. Whether your DRAM will run stable with 1.8v is another story as it has been tested with 1066Mhz at 2.1v. You may have to raise the Vdimm a bit, you may not. Your system will tell you with blue screens, etc. if you need to raise it though. I would also set your tRFC to 60 for a four DRAM slot population.

Here is some research for your board:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175399

cheers mate, will keep an eye on it. So far I had no porblems, like I said, as soon as I put 1066 and do my settings it goes nuts but not in Windows... I can boot up and run just fine even run tests, it only messes when running games. Had it run at 800Mhz for 1 week without any problems, as soon as I changed to 1066 within 40 minutes of playing WOW it crashed.

Also here, the screenshots from BIOS, so you can see what the default voltage is and what options I can change.

26102008109.jpg.a3fb9fd03602b671914d14642ae88d07.jpg

26102008108.jpg.018e6ccd15d9df99240d1541ec2563a5.jpg

26102008107.jpg.adced95ef14af40f4d734d83eec08710.jpg

Archived