Corsair Community

P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe compatibility with 8500C5

raficv

I have the TWIN2X2048-8500C5 memory sticks and I'm running into major stability problems with Windows crashing every few minutes.

Support told me to update my motherboard to the latest version, which I did, and I changed the memory latency to 5-5-5-15 and the voltage to 2.2, but this works only for 1 memory stick and when I put my other stick it my computer won't turn on.

I'm trying to do the second thing support told me, which is to change the frequency to 667 but the BIOS doesn't give me a drop down list. So I'm hesitating about changing it manually. Also, there is a FSB Clock (defaults to 1066 on manual) and Memory Clock (defaults to 800 on manual), so what should I change them to?

I've had this windows freezing and crashing issues for 7 months now, since I first built this new rig. I've also already replaced the motherboard, GPU, PSU, DVD drive (it died on me), and case. The only thing I didn't remove completely or replace yet is the CPU and RAM. And Asus support finally pinpointed it to be an issue with the RAM (they also said earlier that it was the GPU, PSU, and motherboard). Plus, MicroCenter wouldn't believe me that it was a hardware issue and insisted it was a windows issue, which doesn't explain why the system doesn't even boot up half the time.

And when Windows works it usually freezes and reboots automatically. I haven't seen yet how 1 stick with the config I mentioned above will fare over a period of time, but the bottom line is I want to get my computer to work normally without any problems, which would be a nice change. Or, will I have to just exchange my memory, if you guys can be nice enough to do that, with 2 sticks that are actually comparible with my mobo?

UPDATE: My System crashed again and I encountered a BSOD with the very familiar IRQL_not_less_than_or_equal message. And again, I'm currently running on just 1 of the 2 memory sticks I have, it's in slot 3 from the CPU, and I'm running the memory on 5-5-5-15, 2.2 volts, and 800mhz.

Well, what worries me is that these modules might not even be compatible with my motherboard to begin with, although one does seem to be ineffective and problematic. I tried just using one stick, and then the other, and I was more successful with one stick over the other (and this is the stick that I currently have in my PC).

Ultimately, I did change the memory voltage to 2.2 and the configuration to 5-5-5-15, and after I posted my first message, I changed the speed to 667mhz instead of 800mhz, and the bottom line is that I'm getting a BSOD throughout. And considering I only have 1 stick in my PC and with 2 sticks my pc doesn't turn on, there isn't much else I can try. Oh, and I did update my bios to the latest version, which was released 2 weeks ago and that didn't make a difference. (I included a sampling of the errors I've been getting in the zip file.)

What really upsets me is that ZipZoomFly recommended I get this pair of memory, and I'm sure they're great and all, but I'm thinking they might not be compatible at all with my board. This begs the question: Can I exchange what I have with something that will work?

One last thing; my mobo manual says: "Stepless Frequency Selection (SFS) allows: Memory tuning from 400mhz to 1600 mhz." Plus, it also says that it supports up to 2GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR2 DIMMs running at 667mhz or 533mhz.

So what do you think? (AKA what will result in a functioning system considering I've already replaced my Case, motherboard, GPU, PSU, DVD drive (it died on me), and removed my HDs and PCI cards while testing my system.... so basically nothing's left except for the CPU and memory.)

System errors.zip

• Corsair Employee

What are you trying to run the memory frequency at? Should be running the memory frequency at DDR667 with the CPU you have installed.

Plus, it also says that it supports up to 2GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR2 DIMMs running at 667mhz or 533mhz.

I'm trying to get it to work with anything. I first had everything on automatic, then I configured the memory to 5-5-5-15 with the memory voltage at 2.2 and the memory speed at 800mhz, and finally I set the memory speed to 667mhz with 2.2 volts and the same 5-5-5-15 configuration so my current configuration is as follows:

FSB Optimize Mode=Disabled [DEFAULT]

Memory Optimize Mode=Diabled [DEFAULT]

FSB Clock=1066

Memory clock=667

CAS Latency=5

tRCD=5

tRP=5

tRAS=15

tRC=Auto [DEFAULT]

Address Mode=Auto [DEFAULT]

And the first time I reboot after I made any of these changes the computer gave me this message: "Overclocking failed or overvoltage failed." so I would go back into the BIOS and keep my changes and just reboot and it would go into windows.

So, in this case, does this mean that the memory is not compatible at all with my motherboard?

And for reference's sake I'm including my Sys info and for the heck of it I'll just mention that I have:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo x6800 extreme

PSU: Thermaltake 700watts

What are you trying to run the memory frequency at? Should be running the memory frequency at DDR667 with the CPU you have installed.

SysInfo.txt

Ok, I can do that, but fyi, my system wouldn't boot up with the minimum hardware (without the ATI card). But I'll give it a shot, and by the way, I don't use the raid controller at all and I don't have anything connected to it, if that makes a difference.

You have a GForce 7900 listed in your profile, is that not just a capture card?

No, as a matter of fact it's just a graphics card with video out and no more. I have an ATI HDTV Wonder Tuner PCI Addon card, which is my capture device (along with my Logitech USB Camera, which also captures, for that matter).

Please use http://www.memtest.com to test the system. And you need to Disable legacy USB when running any memory test.

I've done that to what's already amounted to days of testing. I've already tried Microsoft's WinDiag CD, and both have never come up with a single error. That's mainly why I was always suspicious of my memory being the cause of my problem, but was hesitant about replacing it since it never failed a test yet.

• Corsair Employee

If you are not getting errors in memtest or in Win Diag, then the problem is somewhere else. Can you tell me the error or errors you get? There should be a STOP error code if you are getting BSOD's

Ultimately, I did change the memory voltage to 2.2 and the configuration to 5-5-5-15, and after I posted my first message, I changed the speed to 667mhz instead of 800mhz, and the bottom line is that I'm getting a BSOD throughout. And considering I only have 1 stick in my PC and with 2 sticks my pc doesn't turn on, there isn't much else I can try. Oh, and I did update my bios to the latest version, which was released 2 weeks ago and that didn't make a difference. (I included a sampling of the errors I've been getting in the zip file.)

You posted this before and if this is the case then I would Change the PSU or RMA the MB as that would suggest a power problem or the memory controller may have a problem.

Maybe you already tried this, but try using the black memory banks instead of the yellow ones. My system also froze and crashed (P5N32-E SLI Plus mobo...) but when I switched the dimms from bank 1 & 3 to 2 & 4 it runs like it should be.

Maybe you already tried this, but try using the black memory banks instead of the yellow ones. My system also froze and crashed (P5N32-E SLI Plus mobo...) but when I switched the dimms from bank 1 & 3 to 2 & 4 it runs like it should be.

I tried putting the stick in all 4 banks, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try the two black slots again.

If you are not getting errors in memtest or in Win Diag, then the problem is somewhere else. Can you tell me the error or errors you get? There should be a STOP error code if you are getting BSOD's

You posted this before and if this is the case then I would Change the PSU or RMA the MB as that would suggest a power problem or the memory controller may have a problem.

Here the file again. But the thing is (reference my first post) I've already replaced EVERYTHING except the memory and CPU. Everything else other than those 2 are new tested replacements. So, I've already exchanged my:

1. Case.

2. GPU.

3. DVD drive.

4. Motherboard.

5. PSU.

What's left is the memory. Asus support said that I had to contact you for the proper configuration for the memory, but incidentally this memory I have is not listed in the compatible memory list for this motherboard (which only lists modules at DDR2-667mhz and DDR2-533mhz as being compatible with this board).

What bugs me is that ZipZoomFly recommended this set for the motherboard I had picked and it doesn't look like it's compatible or will work with the motherboard and I've paid $395 for it and since it's been months since I bought the pair, they won't accept a return!

System errors.zip

• Corsair Employee

Will the system run with two modules at 800 Mhz?

Will the system run with all four modules at 667 MHz?

If the answer is yes then there is nothing wrong with the memory, the issue is just how well the MB will over clock with four modules, and I am sorry but I cannot tell you how to over clock. But the first step is to find a stable starting point and you have not answered me when I have asked you before only that it will not run at 800 MHz with 4 modules, and as I have said that is normal with this MB.

Will the system run with two modules at 800 Mhz?

Will the system run with all four modules at 667 MHz?

If the answer is yes then there is nothing wrong with the memory, the issue is just how well the MB will over clock with four modules, and I am sorry but I cannot tell you how to over clock. But the first step is to find a stable starting point and you have not answered me when I have asked you before only that it will not run at 800 MHz with 4 modules, and as I have said that is normal with this MB.

It won't run 2 at 800, though it run both on the previous motherboard but not on the replacement one so far. But my system would crash every couple of minutes with both of them in, even if nothing is running and it's on the login screen (it would crash and reboot from a bugcheck).

I don't have 4 modules, only 2, so I can't try that.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a stable point either with one module or the other or with both of them in, and also while set at different freq. (800 and 667).

So are you saying I need to buy 2 more modules so I'll have 4 modules to test the system with?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently sent my system to BestBuy and they solved my CPU heating problem... but not my underlying system instability problem. But at least now, I have both sticks of RAM in my computer and I can use my PC (in between BSOD).

So, to answer your questions, I only have 2 modules so I can't test using 4 modules at once and no my system was still unstable with 1 stick, with 2 sticks, with 2 sticks running at 800mhz, with 2 sticks running at 667mhz, and with 1 stick (I tried both) running at 667mhz.

In addition, here are a couple of brand new complete memory dump analysis from the blue screens I've been receiving more recently (though I did enjoy 3 days of no crashes for a change so I got through most of Call of Duty - United Offensive with only 1 freeze).

Memory dump analysis on 2007-06-08.TXT

Memory dump analysis on 2007-06-11 (1).TXT

Memory dump analysis on 2007-06-11 (2).TXT

Memory dump analysis on 2007-06-12 (1).TXT

Memory dump analysis on 2007-06-12 (2).TXT

• Corsair Employee

All of those errors are pointing to a driver issue and the fact that you don't get any errors in memtest would also suggest some other problem.

Are you using any PCI cards in your system, if so try the system with just the Video card? Also was this a fresh install of the O.S. on this MB or did you do a carry over install from another system?

Do you have an extra HDD you can use just to test a fresh install of the O.S.? And if you do ZERO the drive before you do the install?

Also test the system in between installing software after you get everything installed that you need to play the game that is causing this.

Sure thing. I've already backed up everything on my windows drive so I can reformat it and reinstall windows on it again to see what happens. I also did receive a BSOD with Starforce, so I removed their drivers with the tool Starforce provided (but I'm still getting the BSOD for IRQL 2 and 1C errors).

By the way, I tried the driver verifier tool today to test all the drivers and I got this blue screen message as a result:

"IO system verification error in stream.sys (WDM driver error 22e) [stream.sys_705a at B3E1305A]"

Yes, I do have 2 PCI cards; one's a creative sound card, and the other is the ATI HDTV tuner card. But I was still getting blue screens with both of them out. This HD was moved from my old motherboard to this new replacement mobo (all the replacements were identical models) and I've had the same windows installation through the last mobo and this one.

I'll do like you suggested and zero format and reinstall windows and let you know what happens. But I'm curious, are all the bugcheck Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal, and IRQL_not_less_or_equal caused normally by driver issues or because of incompatible memory?

Thanks.

Archived