Corsair Community

ASUS P4P800 Delux Frustrations

keithyb

Hi, I have the following: P4 2.8GHz 800FSB Asus P4P Deluxe Mobo 120GB SATA HDD 160GB SATA HDD DVD Re-Writer CDR-DVD Combo Radeon 9200 Video Card Floppy Win XP Pro. I had 2 x 512MB sticks of the DDR 400 XMS memory and experienced loads of hard crashes to the desktop. I ran Memtest86 and had loads of errors. I sent the processor back for testing and it was OK. I tried placing the memory in different slots and singly with the same results. I returned the memory and mobo and was told the mobo was OK and that each stick of the memory was OK, but there was a "glitch" when putting them together. I therefore got 2 new sticks of Corsair XMS memory and have experienced the same problems, which a local computer shop describes as a memory leak. They also suggest using Kingston or Samsung RAM instead as they have had similar problems with high end DDR mobos. I have been refunded and am looking to buy new memory, but could my problems be down to the way my BIOS was configured? Any suggestions gratefully received. Keith

• Corsair Employee
Yes! In addition, if you were testing with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and you did not disable legacy USB you may have gotten errors that were not memory errors! I would suggest that you disable legacy USB and set the Dim Voltage and set the timings according to the link in my signature for the specific module you have and test them one at a time.

I recently bought an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe moboard, P4 3.2GHz, and 1Gb TWINX PC4000 (2 x 512Mb) Dual channel. I set the PC up initally with no probs (all moboard settings @ default) - then installed windows, again with no problems. Then once I got all my drivers installed in XP, I decided to OC my sysyem to get the most performance out of my RAM. To be honest I didn't really know what I was doing, and when I tried to get the machine to re-boot after CMOS changes, it would hang, and then the BIOS would need to be re-flashed, then would work rock steady under default values. What are the best setting for the BIOS on my mobard (American megatrends) for my TWINX RAM ? Your help would be greatly appreciated !

• Corsair Employee
With a 3.2 GHz you may not be able to over clock much past 210Mhz. For the timings I would try what's listed bellow: Dim Voltage 2.85 Volts DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 7 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 4 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5 Then test with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url], but disable Legacy USB when running memtest86!

Thanks RAM guy. But I've managed to get my system running at 230MHz !!! - So the chip was running @ 3.7GHz, and the RAM was running @ 460MHz with latency settings of 2.5-3-3-8 Even under stress the CPU and chipset weren't even getting past the 45C mark.... It's running very stable, and I have not had one blue screen or crash yet. And I've been running benchmarks on it too !

whats the deal with all these memory timings anyway?, quite often people cant get what the product is rated to do. For example, Corsairs web site specifically states that all XMS-3200C2 memory modules are rated to run at 2-3-3-6 latency on ALL Intel platforms, yet I have a P4P800 Deluxe, yet it absolutley refuses to run at all with 2-3-3-6 - the best it will achieve is 2.5-3-3-6-4 (I am currently running 2.5-3-3-5-4, not sure if it runs any better yet!) I have disabled USB legacy support, pumped up the voltage to 2.75, and it still wont run it, tests with memtest gave no errors after 4 full runs with 2.5-3-3-6-4, but the one and only time I got memtest to run with timings of 2-3-3-6, I got hundreds of errors within the first 20 seconds of it running. So to cut it short, I feel ripped off by Corsiars claims, cause I have to OC to get 2-3-3-6 Thanks Corsair

• Corsair Employee
Well I have no problem replacing your modules if you like! They should be able to run at the tested settings. If you would like to try replacing the modules, please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them. In addition, I would have no problem personally testing your modules if you like to confirm if it's really our modules holding you back. If so please get the RMA then email me before you send your modules and I will tell you where to send them!

Hmmmm, Great, thankyou for the offer, however I'm in Australia, might make things a little difficult dont you think? I noticed that on your website, it stated "corsiar now rates 2-3-3-6 on all Intel platforms", just when did "now" begin?, has it always been rated at this setting (particlalary refering to the XMS 1024 3200C2 modules) or has it just been ratifies as standard for Corsair and Intel chipsets?

• 2 weeks later...
hi, i have posted already, but have found this thread too now, i have same problems with my corsair ram and this motherboard, i cannot get CL2 to run in any configuration, I'm also in australia, in particular QLD brisbane, is it posible for a 'bad batch' of ram to have come our way??, but also , it seems more than coincidence its this motherboard, it really sux that I dont have anyone with computers to do any sort of swapping and testing with, and computer shops only want to make money with testing and will tell u as little as possible, so u have to go back again.... have u had any luck getting CL2 going?

• Corsair Employee
Skarn & Ricbec, please try your reseller and see if they will help you exchange the modules. Or I have no problem replacing them directly if you like. However, many times it's not the memory that is not able to run at Cass 2, and testing them in another system would help to isolate the issue. In addition, the Springdale chipset has not performed as well as Canterwood in general in our testing, but there is a chance there is some other issue that we have not identified yet. I would if I were both of you try the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and please remember to disable legacy USB when running this program and let's make sure its not just a weak or bad module. If you do find one is failing then please get your reseller to help you or submit the RMA directly and we will be happy to replace them. If you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem, and I would check your configuration to make sure there is not some other problem. Like a Power supply or grounding issue!

I'll give that a try RAM GUY, I have tested both modules with memtest86, ran through 4 runs without an error, USB legacy support is disabled, and my voltage is 2.75. As you said this can be difficult to put down to weak or bad memory, as many people overclock these boards, and as such are able to get 2-3-3-6 quite stable, but, at the same time, a manufacturer needs to be very clear as to how they rate their products, if it says it'll do it, it should, you say "run on all Intel at 2-3-3-6" it should at standard configuration. I know I have good quality products, ASUS and such, this memory is certified, well v1.1 is, I have v1.2. All in all, the fact it wont do 2-3-3-6, instead running 2.5-3-3-6, isnt really going to make any "noticable" difference in real time peformance, so its no big deal, yet if you went and bought a new car and was told it would do 250km/h, yet after buying it and driving it found it would only do 200, you'd feel ripped off wouldnt you? Same thing........just a sham most people arnt able to "test drive" computer hardware before buying!

• Corsair Employee
Well I do understand your frustration. However, the shear masses that have run these with out problems suggest it may be some other problem. I would suggest that you maybe try testing the memory on another system if possible as that might help to isolate the problem. In addition, I have already posted that we would be happy to replace them.

I have the twinx1024-4000Pro I bought it because I wanted to hit 500MHZ and really O/C my MOBO I have the P4C800E Dlx that corsair tested on and a 3.2. I can only hit 410 to 420 MHZ stable. I was a little upset but after several hours of testing and most important RESEARCHING I found that the ram was not bad it was my Processor holding me back. If I had only done research before I purchased the ram I would have known I needed a 2.4C and O/C it to 3.2 that would have given me what I was after. What I am trying to say is Corsair has a great product and they stand behind it 200% as you can see by RAM GUY offering to test and replace it if needed. You need to spend more time doing research to find out if all your components are capable of running at the speed you want to hit, key know you’re products, its not the manufactures fault if you don’t buy components that maximize performance. I will say that if corsair had posted what processor they tested with IE speed ect, it would have made life easier. Or it could be that I did not look hard enough. :) I do plan on buying anouther GIG of twinx1024 4000pro with in a few weeks.

• Corsair Employee
At the time we developed XMS4000 the fastest CPU was 2.4C or 2.6C and 2.8 and 3.0C's we coming but not available. We have and do continue to use 2.4C CPU's for XMS3700 and faster modules. And in fact we had to sort the 2.4's we had to get enough to run at 275 MHz for our XMS4400. I will suggest that we add that to the data sheet or something to that affect in the future though. However, [url]www.overclockers.com[/url] has a table of CPU and what they will O.C. too I would suggest that any one contemplating this kind of O.C. go there first.

Carcinigen, I spent nearly 2 months researching before I decided on my configuration, the only thing I didnt follow true to form was my GPU, I knew ATI are performing better than Nvidia, but im an Nvidia fan, and couldnt bring myself to go with anything different Just had a chat with an Authorised Corsair reseller yesterday evening, (to protect company I will not name them) they say that they have had alot of people who have been unable to get the P4P800 to run at Cas2, so many in fact, that they now inform clients that XMS3200C2 wont run as Corsair claims, they sell the modules with thier own rating of 2.5-3-3-6.......interesting Note:, I am in Australia, and so is this Corsair reseller, is it possible for a "not so good" batch to have been sent our way?, as the vast majority of people posting on here are from the US

Thanks for posting that info I hope it helps someone else make a wise choice. I am planning on buying a 2.4C for this setup and building a new rig for the 3.2C because I have a gig of twinx1024-3000 that I can o/c to 400 and should run great. That way I have 2 nice systems that run around 3 GHz and maximize all my settings. I am happy with the pc4000 I just need to adjust my system so it will perform Ram guy if you have any suggestions for my plans I am all ears!

• Corsair Employee
Ricbec First off if a module will not run on one MB at a given setting but will on another; that is not a module problem. In addition, I have had several reporting that updating to the latest bios solved any problems they were having. If your reseller has a problem they should contact us and we will be happy to help them. But there are many reasons that could have an effect on this type of an O.C. not just the memory. For the record, we have always suggested Canterwood chipset as it has performed better in our tests. I would appreciate it if you would take a different approach. Again, for the 3rd or 4th or 5th time please talk to your reseller and have then replace your modules or submit the RMA directly to us and we will be happy to replace them. Willi792 Please look up your CPU at [url]www.overclockers.com[/url] and that is about right for 3.0 or 3.2 GHz CPU's 210-220 MHz. Sorry! Carcinigen Please review some of the forums and maybe do a search for the make and model of MB you are planning on getting. To make sure it will run at what you intend running it at. And or use our post [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8048]XMS Qualification and Testing[/URL] as a reference when choosing a new MB and I think you will have a better experience.

RAM GUY, I tried updating to the latest BIOS, but that was no help, I have not yet tested these modules one at a time, I have been to busy. I feel that you are missing the point I am trying to make. So what if my system will not reach CAS2, CAS2.5 is hardly any different, and I cannot notice any performance difference in real world use, I am happy with how well this system runs. My issue simply was really all to do with the marketing and advertising of Corsair memory. To state "Rated to run at 2-3-3-6 on ALL Intel platforms" is far to general a statement when there are a thousand different factors that could prevent something to work asd it is rated to do. A better statement would be "Rated to run at maximum 2-3-3-6 on all properly configured Intel platforms"........that leaves room for movement, and simply states that you may come accross some Intel systems that it wont do it. That is all I meant.....I am not trying to talk down Corsair, or you RAMGUY. I will let you know how I go once I finally tested this memory one stick at a time!. One last question though, Ive been meaning to ask this for ages!, I noticed in the "Qualified Vendors List" for my Mobo, it says that the XMS3200C2 cannot run in dual channel mode with all four slots occupied, is this still the case?, this is one thing I definately overlooked!, just as well I got a gigs worth! Ohh, one more question, so that means the last one wasnt really the last one! Can you tell me anything about "Dual Channel, Linear mode" and "Dual Channel, Dynamic Mode", I have had a few discussions about this, and no one seems to be able to find any real useful information about it!.......simply put, from what we have been able to decipher, the 865/875 chipsets are supposed to run in Dual Channel Dynamic Mode, yet EVERYBODYS rigs are running Dual Channel Linear mode.....do you have any insight into this matter?....Intel wont help of course!

• Corsair Employee
All I can tell you is our modules are tested on a MB at the rated speed, if they will not run at the rated speed because of a module problem we will be happy to replace them... However, we or I cannot guarantee that every MB will be able to run at the settings we test or use. That is just un-realistic to expect that. And one of the reasons we have supplied you with the make and model of MB we use as well as the bios settings. Please see [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8048]XMS Qualification and Testing[/URL] for the complete list. I personally along with many other users and professionals have consistently been able to run our modules above spec, I am sorry that you are having trouble, but short of offering to replace your modules I am not sure I can do anything else to help you. I will be happy to forward your comments to our marketing and will but I do not know what will come of it. So again, I will be happy to help you get your modules replaced either directly or by your reseller, just please let me know who they are and or send me an email and I will do what ever I can. But that will NOT fix a problem with your MB or CPU! Not that there is one!

I thankyou RAM GUY for being so prepared to replace these modules, it really shows that your customer support, is really second to none. Please dont get me wrong, I love these modules, they do perform very well, even if it is a half clock slower than it could be. I still have not tested these modules one at a time, but I'm thinking that that may be a fruitless excersise as I know these modules will do 2-3-3-6, but only with the rest of the system overclocked by at least 10%, and in doing so "Partially" disables the Memory acceleration mode (PAT), so it becomes 6 of 1, or half a dozon of the other, they end up cancelling out each other, so I may as well just stick with 2.5-3-3-6-4 with PAT fully enabled, it is as solid as a rock, which is one reason this mobo wont get replaced even if the memory isssues turn out to be mobo related, as it is not too easy now to get a 865PE chipset to run completely stable with PAT enabled. This is pretty much all I have to say on this matter until I properly test these modules, all I will say in closing is that it would be nice to see the Corsairmicro website be changed to properly reflect what the product "is capable of", by this I mean to simply reflect that yes, some people may not get exactly what the product can do, due to many factors, that will remove any potential confusion. You didnt answer any of my questions from my last post, was this an oversight, or do you prefer to handle one matter at a time! Thankyou for your time RAMGUY, I still think, Corsair rocks!!

Okay RAM GUY, here is the current situation. I have finally tested these modules one at a time, It became more urgent after reading a post on how someone had a P4C800 with the same memory as me, with very much the same problems. I pulled one stick out of slot 3, and ran memtest (latest version 1.15) on the stick I left on slot 1, I had USB Legacy support disabled, voltage to 2.75V and PAT disabled, everything else stock. I set timings of 2-3-3-6, and ram memtest for 7 runs without a hitch, then, out of curiousity, I ran the test again on the same stick, this time with PAT enabled, I let it run for 4 full passes, again, without a hitch. I then swapped sticks over in slot 1, and ram memtest again, disabling PAT beforehand, errors started at the end of test 5, continued into test 6, and didnt seem to want to go any further, and remember PAT was diabled. I then put both sticks back in, returning the system to dual channel mode, ran memtest again, to find the errors started this time in test 4. I found this interesting because prior to this round of testing, I had tried memtest (the last version) with the same confiuration, but I was getting errors within the first 10 seconds of it running, and this time round, i got through to the 4th test before anything showed up!. What do you make of this?, what do yo think I should try now?

Your very quite RAM GUY I have been running this system with only the one stick of memory installed, obviosly the one that didnt return errors in memtest, latency settings are 2-3-3-5-4, with Memory Acceleration Mode enabled, and it is very stable. Right now it is running, like I said, 2-3-3-5-4, I havent really been able to tell if having 2-3-3-5, is any better than 2-3-3-6, what do you think on this? Anyway, I have contacted my Corsair reseller regarding the memory, I am still awaiting a reply, I am a little concerned however because I just noticed last night that my receipt for the memory, has a different item number to what I actually ordered, according to the reciept, I have TwinX1024 3200----but I actually have the TwinX1024 3200C2, which on their site is worth $80 more than what I paid for it!, I am just a little worried that they may try to say that they sent me the wrong memory, and try to replace these modules witht the ones shown on my receipt-------scary!, as I had never dealt with this company prior to buying this memory and Mobo from them-----ive got no idea how they are going to want to handle this matter! I may need to RMA them directly to you, which I have no idea how to do about, I have never sent memory internationally, in fact, I have never sent anything internationally! I'll keep you posted on what is happening!

• Corsair Employee
Sorry for the delay, I would double check the label on the modules and make sure you have the C2 modules. In addition, memory pricing is not very stable and the price may have gone up since you purchased these. In addition, I have no problem replacing them directly if needed.

I definately have the C2 version. I will let you know how I go with my reseller, I really hope they will come to the party, but simply, if they dont, well I wont be buying the parts for the next rig I build in a few weeks from them!, but I should be OK. Just so you know, my modules came From Gamedude Computers [url]www.gamedude.com.au[/url] Fingers crossed!

Archived