Corsair Community

Corsair 460X RGB Case & Commander Pro

tennengr

Is the Commander Pro flat enough to fit in the cable management area of the 460X RGB case? Will the Commander Pro fit in the area where the SSD racks are (SSD racks removed)?

There does not appear to be enough room to fit the Commander Pro in the cable management area without removing at least 2 of the 3 SSD racks. I will be using the NVMe M.2 slot on my motherboard for an SSD so I plan to remove all 3 SSD racks. My concern is the thickness of the Commander Pro compared to the width between case cover and the cable management backplate. Where was the Commander Pro designed to be installed in the 460X case?

• 2 weeks later...

I did not receive any replies to this thread helping me with my issue. Even though this is only a forum, I would have thought Corsair employees would monitor for key questions.

I submitted a Corsair ticket and did get an answer. The Commander Pro will fit in the area where the Corsair Crystal Series 460X RGB SSD racks can be removed.

A big thanks to Corsair for allowing tickets before ordering a product. Hopefully, others with this same question can find this thread for an answer.

So, the CoPro mostly fits there, but it's actually slightly too thick for the rear panel to close flush. But it does still close and the bulge is pretty minor -- I have mine there and it's honestly the least of my bulging panel problems...

For reference, here's a pic of what mine looks like in that spot:

bDm1zl1.jpg

I really appreciate the information on the Commander Pro. Is the bulge due to the COPro or the attached cables? The COPro appears to be slightly below the lip of the case but may be an optical illusion. It appears that all I have read about cable management on the 460X is true (tight). Any thoughts on keeping 1 of the SSD racks? Can the 3 SSD racks even be separated?

It appears that you do not have the HDD rack. I was thinking of removing it entirely and going with an NVME M.2 install on the motherboard and an SSD in 1 SSD rack. This would provide room (I think) to mount the COPro on the floor where the HDD rack was. Got some thinking to do about the bulge.

I believe that I saw you were using 7 fans. Is this the reason for an additional 6 fan RGB hub? I assume that you are not using the controller buttons on the outside of the case. I would be interested in your 7 fan setup wiring diagram. Are they all RGB? I was going to only install 6 fans to cut down on any additional devices (additional hub, etc.).

It is always good to see someone's "real world" build before building your own. I am still waiting on prices to drop (waited to long) and am hoping the upcoming Las Vegas CES show will cause prices to drop. Would certainly be interested in more pictures, especially from the front looking at the HDD bay.

I really appreciate the information on the Commander Pro. Is the bulge due to the COPro or the attached cables? The COPro appears to be slightly below the lip of the case but may be an optical illusion.

No problem! It's definitely an optical illusion -- I'm looking at the photo now and it looks that way to me, too. The bulge is due to the device itself, not the wires. When you have the back cover on, it's pretty hard to tell visually that there's a bulge, but, if you push down with your hand, you can definitely feel the hard plastic casing of the CoPro through the cover.

It appears that all I have read about cable management on the 460X is true (tight). Any thoughts on keeping 1 of the SSD racks? Can the 3 SSD racks even be separated?

The racks cannot be separated -- it's a single three-slot mount.

It appears that you do not have the HDD rack. I was thinking of removing it entirely and going with an NVME M.2 install on the motherboard and an SSD in 1 SSD rack. This would provide room (I think) to mount the COPro on the floor where the HDD rack was. Got some thinking to do about the bulge.

You can't see it because there are wires obstructing the view, but I actually have the HDD rack in. My solution to removing the SSD rack was to retain the HDD mount and pick up one of these 2.5" adapters. This gives me room for 1x 3.5" + 2x 2.5", which is a nice compromise. You can definitely remove the HDD rack and put the CoPro in its place. I did this, originally, but it's harder to access without fully removing the PSU shroud and quickly became a jumbled mess. I like it's current placement much better -- it's more organize and easier to access and the bulge doesn't really bother me (the backside is against my wall so I never see it and I have zero concerns that the pressure of the back cover will damage the CoPro -- the casing is structurally sound).

I believe that I saw you were using 7 fans. Is this the reason for an additional 6 fan RGB hub? I assume that you are not using the controller buttons on the outside of the case. I would be interested in your 7 fan setup wiring diagram. Are they all RGB? I was going to only install 6 fans to cut down on any additional devices (additional hub, etc.).

I actually have 9x LL120s, which is indeed the reason for the additional RGB hub. 6x fans is more than sufficient -- I started there and eventually added in 1x fan pulling on my front-mounted AIO (my STRIX GPU is too long to allow for clearance of a 2nd pull fan) and 2x fans "supercharging" the GPU.

It is always good to see someone's "real world" build before building your own. I am still waiting on prices to drop (waited to long) and am hoping the upcoming Las Vegas CES show will cause prices to drop. Would certainly be interested in more pictures, especially from the front looking at the HDD bay.

I think we all enjoy showing off our rigs ;) Here's an Imgur album of every picture of my PC I happened to have on hand

Those are great pics! Are those the original power supply cables or custom cables? You may have already mentioned it but it looks like you installed fans under the second video card using the expansion slots. How did you do that?

I completed my purchase for all parts an hour ago and just now saw your latest post. I decided to go with a 2.5" SSD to supplement the NVMe M.2 SSD. You indicated that the 3 SSD racks are all 1 piece so I have to make some decisions. I think it is best to remove the SSD racks and place the Commander Pro there as we have discussed. I'm not concerned about the slight bulge based on your comments. I may be mistaken but doesn't the Corsair case come with screws for installing the 2.5" SSD in the 3.5" slide out rack? If not then I have more "stuff" to buy as you mentioned for your build.

I'll check in on this thread again but will post my new build in an appropriate spot. I will let you know where I post it. I plan to eventually have pics and videos like you have.

Oh … and I really appreciate your replies. My wife was amazed at the pics you had. She now sees what I am spending my $1500 on, although my case won't be as full … YET.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted a thread of my first YouTube video in this section (cases). It shows my cable management after 3 tries. The Commander Pro was indeed the least of my worries. I think I finally got it as good as it could be. The slight bulge that was there was not even noticeable without a flat surface (ruler) to run along the panel.

Check out the thread or look at the YouTube video here. [ame]

[/ame].

Edited version - [ame]

[/ame]

Hello. I am building a PC with the 460X RGB case. I installed a Corsair H150 CPU cooler and I have a Corsair Commander Pro. If I don't care about the lighting buttons on the case and only want to control everything through the iCue software, do I still need the controller module that came with the case (see pic)?

IMG_4812.thumb.jpg.e87759cf0e2062ff8cf71e1ded62d96b.jpg

I am new at this so others on here may have a better answer. I use the 6-fan RGB controller that you are pointing at for all 6 of my fans RGB lighting. It can't be used for controlling the fan speed; that is what the Commander Pro will do. There may be a way to use the motherboard for RGB lighting but I am not sure. Check your motherboard specs to see if the additional fan connections can be used to control lighting. If there are not enough fan connections, I was informed that you can use 2 fans (with splitter) per header.

Are you wanting to remove it for more space?

This an interesting question that I plan to research. It looks like you already have your case and probably want to get started. I may not have an answer for a couple of days. Hopefully someone else will reply.

Hello. I am building a PC with the 460X RGB case. I installed a Corsair H150 CPU cooler and I have a Corsair Commander Pro. If I don't care about the lighting buttons on the case and only want to control everything through the iCue software, do I still need the controller module that came with the case (see pic)?

If you have RGB fans, yes. That's the RGB Fan Hub.

Check out the RGB FAQ at http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880.

Archived