Corsair Community

H150i Pro -- Apply New Thermal Paste?

Ragman88

I see that the H150i Pro comes with thermal paste already applied. Should I install the cooler as it comes or would you all recommend removing the paste and adding after-market paste? I've got some Arctic Silver 5 and wasn't sure if I should use that instead.

Just trying to get all my ducks lined up before I pull the trigger on the new AIO. :biggrin:

Thanks!

Thanks, Dev! A couple of degrees difference is worth it. I'm happy to apply my own paste -- just wasn't sure if the stuff it comes with should be used instead for one reason or another. Thanks!

No specific reason that it needs to be used. Personally, I always repaste mine.

My H100i V2 is on 'posh' paste lol.......

My H150i (sitting in box waiting to be fitted) will be on 'poor' paste lol..

I figure as the H150i is the 'Pro' Version it will already have 'Posh' Paste or should that be 'Pro' Paste? applied..

:D :D

Rumour was, a bit back, that they used Shin-Etsu paste on their coolers, but I don't know what they use now. I go with the standard stuff first time, then replace it with Noctua or Shin-Etsu after that. I put a thin line of paste on the middle third of the CPU, from top to bottom.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I was just about to ask about the same thing.

I have the H115i but will use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut instead of the thermal pad that comes pre-installed on the H115i water block.

Is there a recommended method how to best remove the stock thermal pad from the water block?

I was just about to ask about the same thing.

I have the H115i but will use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut instead of the thermal pad that comes pre-installed on the H115i water block.

Is there a recommended method how to best remove the stock thermal pad from the water block?

90% Alcohol or Arctic Clean.

90% Alcohol or Arctic Clean.

Thanks, that's what I used and worked like a charm and couldn't be more pleased with my temps!

Just doing some initial testing running 5 GHZ @ 1.3v stress-testing the CPU and so far, the hottest core after some 30 mins is 73 C where the average for all cores is like 62-64C.

Need to get some sleep now but tomorrow will be overclocking galore day to find out what this CPU is capable of now that it has good cooling and I apparently got both the liquid metal as well as the thermal paste in the right places :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I also have just received the H150i Pro and want to use it on my i9 9900k for my new PC build. I bought the Kryonaut Thermal Grizzly paste with the CPU order not realising that the H150i Pro would come with pre-applied paste. I was wondering if I should keep the pre applies paste and also apply a dot of the Kryonaut paste in addition to the pre-applies paste? I wonder if there are chemical compatibility issues etc?

Don't mix pastes. It could even cause the thermal conductivity to worsen or lead to other unwanted effects, depening on the composure of each compound.

Either go with the pre-applied paste or clean it off and use the Kryonaut they should both be fine. Since you already have the Kryonaut, go with that, it should perform better. I'm using it myself as well.

Archived